The Wanderer

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

The heir of ghrond
Slave (off the Altar)

The Wanderer

Post by The heir of ghrond »

Had my first game against WOC last night. It was a 2k game that included Wulfrik the Wanderer. I was very suprised when he turned up first turn behind my deployment line with a unit of 20 marauders and started to chew through my units with rear charges! And he is a level four wizard.

Has anyone else run into difficulty facing him? I find WOC difficult to win against already, with out the uber special characters at their disposal.
Darktan
Cold One Knight

Post by Darktan »

Wulfrik the Wanderer, as good as he is, he isn't a level 4 wizard.
Otherwise, he should only be arriving turn 2/3 and can't march/charge when he arrives, might well then need to march a turn before getting in range to charge. so he shouldn't be reaching combat before turn 3/4/5

With a unit of 20 marauders, thats roughly 300 points of his army that isn't there to help him, focus on the rest of his army.

perhaps you could have a hydra running around the back of your forces, when his unit arrives, run up and flamebreath it, in combat, the hydra should easily be able to hold them off for a while at least.
The heir of ghrond
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by The heir of ghrond »

During the game, i was told he was a level 4. Can you confirm what is written in his rules entry?
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

He is definately not a wizard of any kind. He doesn't even have any magic items.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Hamstafish
Trainee Warrior

Post by Hamstafish »

He most defiantly isn't a wizard of any kind. He simply is a champion of chaos with the ability to bring marauders behind your lines and a couple of bonus rules in challenges. Go have very stern words with your opponent and don't play him again as this is far too far to possibly be an accidental misreading. aside from the cheating moving forwards and destroying the enemy while Wulfrik is wandering or a hydra should do the trick as Darktan said.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

When in doubt, check the rules. This is yet another reason why it pays to know every army book, inside and out, or at least take the time to read through them. Not only does this research teach you what to expect, but it also keeps your opponents honest if they don't know their own rules or decide to break them.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

If you think something is too good, it just may be, or it may not. I second the motion to ask to look at the entry in the army book. I've met more than a few people who have misread rules unintentionally and a few others who I'm fairly certain actually took advantage of my ignorance early on.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

asikari wrote:If you think something is too good, it just may be, or it may not. I second the motion to ask to look at the entry in the army book. I've met more than a few people who have misread rules unintentionally and a few others who I'm fairly certain actually took advantage of my ignorance early on.

Entirely true. It's very easy for players to misread a rule or unit entry, but continue to play it that way if noone asks or challenges them. They may go for months using the rule or unit incorrectly, totally unaware until someone brings it to their attention.

I just recently joined a new gaming group which includes several new players just learning WHFB. I was surprised to hear them make a number of blatant rule errors in the course of their games, all agreeing that their errors were correct until I showed them the right rule entry in their armybooks and rulebook. Apparently, a "veteran" gamer in the group, in the early days of 8th edition, had inadvertently "taught" them a number of mistakes (mostly throwbacks to 7th edition that he was confusing with 8th edition) and all the new players just assumed he was 100% correct.

It always pays to double check the rules, though obviously try to be as polite about it as possible ;) .
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Every time I encounter something new, I ask my opponent to be allowed to read about it in his army book. Works like a charm.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

Tethlis wrote:... Apparently, a "veteran" gamer in the group, in the early days of 8th edition, had inadvertently "taught" them a number of mistakes (mostly throwbacks to 7th edition that he was confusing with 8th edition) and all the new players just assumed he was 100% correct.

This also happens a lot when changing from one edition to the next - people new to the game will sometimes have a rule correct when a veteran is remembering the good old days of a previous edition.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari