3+ sorceresses. Don't go there.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

3+ sorceresses. Don't go there.

Post by Dalamar »

I played an experimental game with three wizards last night and I've got to tell you... don't.

Even with 10 Power Dice from Winds of Magic and Sacrificial Dagger on Dark Magic Supreme Sorceress to make her use as little PD as possible... I simply couldn't cast all the spells.

My Death Sorceress had to use extra dice to offset the opponent's Level 4 dispeller, most of the time leaving level 2 Shadow Sorceress with no Power Dice to use at all. At least Death worked as it usually does, sniping out a BSB and getting enemy level 4 to last wound (but bugger survived).

My conclusion is... Either use single level 4, or two wizards, one of them level 4 (if you want to go with two, go ahead), but three is simply more than even we can effectively manage.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

That makes sense. I find I rarely roll more than a 5 for the winds of magic anyway, which made it readily and abundantly clear how much multiple casters can backfire on you. Even with Sac Dagger/Power of the Darkness, that's still a lot of points being put into units who may not have a strong and immediate impact on the game. Especially since there are so many brilliant ways to spend your points in our list, and always another useful unit or two to fit in, I don't plan to buy too many Sorcs any time soon. Thanks for the heads-up.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Yeah, I barely have enough with a lvl 4 and a lvl 2. Even with the dagger. I have also had issues with failing my casts of late, looks like I'm going to run a dreadlord more often.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

I think that there is one situation where 3 wizards can still be useful. A level one with Channeling Staff throughout the game can generate 8 additional PD from PoD (single die casting, 4 successes, avg of 2 extra each time), 2 extra PD, 2 extra DD from staff. She is very cheap and useful if you take either Fire or Shadow which both have the signature spell that can be boosted. Her items basically pay for themselves and you only need 1PD per turn to start her off with. Clocking in at only 115 she doesn't break the bank at all and can be useful for carrying other extra items (Guiding Eye, Seal of Grond, BDE etc... , or your favorite common item.

Other than that though, I think that you are correct and that there is such a thing as too many wizards.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I ran 3 casters -- 2 level 4 and a level 2 -- in a 3000 point tournament and found it to be somewhat useful simply because I could take different lores with the two level 4 casters and therefore be more likely to have a lore tailored to the army of my opponent. That being said, I support the general proposition and would never have more than 2 casters in a game of less than 3000 points.
Truly These are the End Times ...