Draich, how do you pronounce it?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Draich, how do you pronounce it?

Post by Malus99 »

hey all, during my last multi-player game down at the local GW, me and a fellow Druchii player who I'd teamed up with had a rather spirited argument over the pronunciation of the Druhir word: Draich, meaning (to quote the DE rulebook): "the act of execution itself" or the weapon used to accomplish this, most often associated with the Executioners of Khaine.

Now, being a complete numpty, when I first started with Dark Elves I thought the 'ch' in 'Druchii' was pronounced as the 'ch' is in 'chair' for instance, and the 'ii' had the same sound as the 'ee' in 'tree' so that it sounded like druchee. I continued with this misguided pronunciation until I played the Mark of Chaos:Battlemarch game where it was always pronounced with a hard 'K' and capital 'I' sound as if it were spelt: DrukI. so now I always pronounce it as it was pronounced in MoC:BM.

however, my fellow Druchii general was talking about his executioners and pronounced the name of their weapons with a hard 'A' like in 'hate' and a 'ch' like in 'chair', so I disagreed and said it was pronounced as if it were written 'Drike' with the 'ai' in the middle rhyming with the 'i' in 'bike' and a hard 'k' sound for the 'ch' as in 'Druchii'. The argument drew amused grins from the 4 other players in our match and quite a few confused stares from other people in the store and walking past on the street.

So I thought whilst I was sitting here talking to the best collection of Druchii gamers in the world, I'd ask: How do you pronounce Draich, and various other Druhir terms you have come across.

It occurs to me that Druhir tends to pronounce hard vowels, so 'a' is pronounced like the 'a' in 'hate' rather than the 'a' in 'cat', and the 'U' in 'Druchii' and 'Druhir' is pronounced like the 'u' in 'tube' rather than the 'u' in 'thunder', with 'ch' pronounced as a hard 'k'. And yet I'm pretty sure 'Malus' is derived from 'malicious' and so pronounced with a 'cat' 'a' and a 'thunder' 'u', to rhyme with 'callous'.

Either way I'd be interested to see how you all think 'Draich' should be pronounced, and any more thoughts you have on Druhir, the noble tongue of the Druchii.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Personally I pronounce it "Drake" with a bit more emphasis on the K. It just sounds right: hard cutting and aggressive.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Well done with the DrukI pronunciation; I've used that way of saying the word and have never looked back.

I myself pronounce "Draich" as in "Drake", with the hard "CH" and a hard "AI", so essentially a cross between you and your friend's pronunciation.

This was fostered by my pronunciation of the Wood Elf race (the Asrai) as being "As-ray", rather than the ending "ai" being pronounced "eye".

I'm sure others will disagree.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

'Drake' with elements of both? Interesting, I used 'Drike' because I pronounce 'ai' like a capital 'I' as in 'Cairo', and because a 'drake' is another term for a dragon, maybe we should all start using the phoenetic alphabet lol.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Don't use games as reference.

Mark of Chaos uses Druk-I
Warhammer Online uses Dru-chee

Personally I prefer Druk-I (or Druk-hai) to Dru-chee.
Using the same pronunciation, Draich would work as Drai-K (with a short "K" sound)

But Draitch is perfectly acceptable.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

There are many accents for the Druchii pronounciation.
Myself, I pronounce Druchii drüshee (German "ü") and draich dryeesh, both with a typical French accent.

Anyway, the only certainty is that the best way to pronounce draich is in a whisper, showing no lack of respect in the sentence and after a cautious glance behind you. ;)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

How about "Drike" (rhymes on bike)?

Bye
Thanee
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Post by Guinea pig hydra »

Personally - druchii: 'drew-kai'. Draich: 'drake' but with added phlegm at the end lol.
Druchii - For the joy of stabbing a High Elf in the face.
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

Since it's a fictional word, I think you should take liberties with it and pronounce it however you think is coolest.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Next thread:

Draich, how is it pronounced the coolest?

;)

Bye
Thanee
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Next thread:

Dr. Ache? :P
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

Red... wrote:
Next thread:

Dr. Ache? :P

lol
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Post by Guinea pig hydra »

We all know that Draich is a blend of the words 'Druchii' and 'cake' anyway.
Druchii - For the joy of stabbing a High Elf in the face.
Toonces
Warrior

Post by Toonces »

I read an interview with Gav Thrope (which I can no longer find because my internet search skills are atrocious) that his take on Druchii is somethign like...

drew-key-eye

With a rolled are r on the first part. My solution is I just never say the word out loud. Then again, I've also never called that atrociously named Nintendo console by the ridiculous moniker the marketing department gave it. I just refer to it as the Revolution (it's name in development) because I can stomach only so much stupidity in my day.

So out loud, I pronounce Druchii "Dark Elves."
Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

I roll the 'r' and pronounce the 'ch' as a frictive like in the Scottish 'loch' (i.e. somwhere between a 'k' and sounding like you're clearing your throat!) and rhyming with drake.
I do much the same for 'druchii' with the 'u' rhyming with 'two' and the 'ii' pronounced as in the 'y' in 'hasty'.

As per the IPA system:
[dreɪx]
[dru.xi]

My choices are based totally on Shadowspite's work on the language and the fact that elven languages seem to always end up being derived from Celtic ones anyway (or occasionaly Norse ones, but these words don't look even remotley germanic to me... ).
Anast: Ws4 S3 T3 D4 I4 0G
Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, lock-picks, choke-wire
Skills: Basic Stealth, Wilderness Lore
Corwin
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Draich, how do you pronounce it?

Post by Corwin »

Malus99 wrote:quite a few confused stares from other people in the store and walking past on the street.
Now no one should be surprised we are largely regarded as a bunch of geeks.
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Re: Draich, how do you pronounce it?

Post by Malus99 »

Corwin wrote:
Malus99 wrote:quite a few confused stares from other people in the store and walking past on the street.
Now no one should be surprised we are largely regarded as a bunch of geeks.

only largely?
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I pronounce it as Dry-Ack, though this is most likely due to me misreading the spelling to begin with and simply sticking with the way I had always pronounced it.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Malus99 wrote:only largely?

I'm not! :p

I have always pronounced it drew-chee and dryk (or drike like thanee says) ;)

As mentioned, the druchii language has multiple methods of pronounciation - which I think is excellent, it helps to differentiate and extend a cultural vocabulary: imagine if you will different accents from different cities across Nagarroth (I think Ghrond would have a scouse accent... check it out here...)
Kula
Warrior

Post by Kula »

drai - ch, with emphasis on the h. Like a snake when it hisses. :P