2,000 pts with No Cauldron?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Afterimagedan
Slave (off the Altar)

2,000 pts with No Cauldron?

Post by Afterimagedan »

Hey there! New guy here. I was wondering if I could get some opinions on how "manditory" CoBs are. I say this because I was reading some other posts about a DP BSB and I was hoping to use a lvl 4 with Dagger and the DP BSB with PoK and Soulrender and have no CoB.

Also, I was wondering what everyone thought about this build in 3,000pts...

Dreadlord, DP, PoK, Blood Armor, Soulrender, Crown of Command
(I wonder if Dawnstone would be better than Crown of Command?)
Lvl 4, Dagger
Master, BSB, DP, Cloak of Hag Graef, Crimson Death

In this circumstance, all 3 characters would be something my opponent would want to kill as quickly as possible. I am hoping the 2 DP riders could soak up a whole bunch of shooting while the Dreadlord kills off the warmachines or smaller shooting units. The BSB would hang back and look pretty until he saw a weak point of the enemies army to strike at.

Any thoughts on this hero setup?
... __i___
... ) ) ) ) ) r
. \OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

myspace.com/afterimage
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

If you want to include a Cauldron of Blood, try it but by all means don't feel obligated. I haven't feilded one in ages and I don't miss it a bit. But if you bring a Cauldron, it's one of those things you build your army around. For example, it needs a unit to guard it!

Your hero choices are fine on paper but a lot of it depends on what else you bring and what your opponent brings. The best way to figure it out is to try a few test games so you can figure out what works and what doesn't. A shooting army will love your characters running about on their own while a non-shooty army will be very frustrated by them.
Afterimagedan
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Afterimagedan »

I am going to start a whole new post about this hero setup.
... __i___
... ) ) ) ) ) r
. \OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

myspace.com/afterimage
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

There is no mandatory unit.
And the COB is not necessarily a BSB.

The crown and the dawstone have different uses.
Honestly, the PoK and armour is enough for the dreadlord.
The Crown helps him resiting static CR when he takes a large unit singlehand.

and...

welcome afterimagedan to D.net! :)

We have 15683 registered users
The newest registered user is afterimagedan
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Afterimagedan
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Afterimagedan »

Thanks! I have been lurking here for some time now and decided to join the fun.

I started another thread with some more ideas of how I will try my characters and I hope to get some more input on that too.
... __i___
... ) ) ) ) ) r
. \OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

myspace.com/afterimage
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Welcome to the site Afterimagedan. I include the COB in all of my lists, and in the 5 games I've played with DE, I've remembered to use it about as many times. :( Ah well. Guess I could always leave it and include something I'll actually use... haha
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Standard game size where I play is 2500 and I haven't been using a Cauldron lately.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Eglard
Corsair

Post by Eglard »

If your army is quite static you probably should take a caludron. If on the other hand you want to be able to move your whole army to another part of the table in a few turns, the caludron is the last thing you should take. The pot is too slow, and you don't want to leave any unit behind your main force just to guard the caludron. Remember that that unit would have to be quite good in CC to be effective. A unit of spears wont do.

I think that if you want to play aggressively you should not take a cauldron, but if you play more or less defensively a caludron is a good choice. Then you don't have to worry about guarding it, since you will sit mainly in your dep zone anyway.

All you really want from you bsb is to give you those vital re-rolls. If you play aggressively you want your bsb to be able to move along your army. Let him join a unit of cold ones and give him some protective gear, like the dawnstone. The DP bsb can be a good choice, but a bsb leading knights will probably survive just as well. Just postiton him so that only a few enemy models can get into contact with him.

Oh, and as for your lord build, he can't have dawnstone and POK. They belong to the same magic item category. The crown on the other hand is ideal if you are going to run your lord on his own.
Afterimagedan
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Afterimagedan »

Agreed. I missed that. Also, the Crown of Command on him is really starting to grow on me because he can rely more on his power to be a killing machine and a little less about being beat in combat by static combat res.
... __i___
... ) ) ) ) ) r
. \OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

myspace.com/afterimage
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

eglard wrote:The pot is too slow.
Not only M5 no march. Also, all terrain are impassable. Cannot cross a river...
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Anchanrogar
Corsair

Post by Anchanrogar »

If your regular opponents start effectively persecuting you CoB (with characteristic test spells or poisoned shooting for example) you may find CoB becomes a useless points give away in any case.
Excellent but far from mandatory; character choices look sound, 1 for every 1k points strikes the right balance and their items give the fighty chars as good protection as you can manage. Id worry for the sorceress though, I find the magic phase usually kills mine without some kind of ward save.
A man without tea in him is incapable of comprehending either truth or beauty.
Afterimagedan
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Afterimagedan »

Good point. I think I will try for the 4+ ward from the BRB.
... __i___
... ) ) ) ) ) r
. \OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

myspace.com/afterimage