Repeater crossbows

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Playa23
Corsair

Repeater crossbows

Post by Playa23 »

I need a little help with the repeater crossbow. My brother and I played a game and he insists that the repeater crossbow is subject to the "move and shoot" special rule but I maintain that the rules prescribed in the Army Book don't mention it and that the repeater crossbow holds strictly to the rules stated in the Army book. Can you guys give me any references that will help me make it clear that the repeater crossbow is not subject to the "move and shoot" constraint. Thanks
Br13
Trainee Warrior

Post by Br13 »

From what I gathered, the 'Moving and shooting' rule is a general rule for shooting units, so every unit under 8th edition rules uses that. We do suffer -1 to hit with repeater crossbow.

However, in the weapon section, only a normal crossbow has the 'move or fire' special rule and thus our repeater crossbows use our armybook rules in this case and can still shoot after moving/reforming.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

br13 is correct: all models are affected by 'moving and shooting' (p40), but this refers to suffering from a -1 to hit if you have moved that turn.

Regarding 'move or shoot' (, the rule for crossbows which prevents you from both moving and shooting - which I suspect you may be referring to):

A repeater crossbow is a different weapon to a crossbow. Multiple clues towards this correct answer include:

- RxBs are S3, normal crossbows are S4
- RxBs have range 24", normal crossbows have range 30"
- RxBs are armour piercing, normal crossbows are not
- RxBs can multishot, normal crossbows can not

The rules stipulating that crossbows are 'move or shoot' are listed in the weapons section (p90), but in the same entry it specifies that crossbows are S4 and 30" range. If your brother wants to argue that your RxBs suffer from 'move or shoot', then he also needs to concede that they are S4 and 30".

No, the long and short of it is that RxBs are a different weapon with a clearly different set of rules mapped out in the dark elf army book. The final clue is in the name: "repeater crossbow" rather than "crossbow".

So, yes, RxBs suffer from the -1 deficit if you move and shoot with them, but no, they are not subject to 'move or shoot' and so you can move and fire with them on the same turn.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Playa23
Corsair

Post by Playa23 »

My bad. I meant the 'move or fire'. Thanks though