8th Ed DE Items - what went up, what went down?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Vaari
Black Guard

8th Ed DE Items - what went up, what went down?

Post by Vaari »

All of this is IMO, feel free to add yours.

+ Black Dragons Egg - Add this to your fancy new Spearmen block for some sneaky impact hits.

- Sac Dagger - sad to see this one go really, but killing off your own models to add to the likely hood of killing off even more of your own models seems.. not so good (despite being incredibly fluffy)

These thoughts are pure conjecture, if anyone has any first hand 8th experiences, those would be greatly appreciated (guess work like mine is welcome as well of course)
Group 28
Name - Seijl Illydrien Class- Shade
Character Stats
- WS 6 - - S 3 - - T 3 - - D 4 - - I 4 -
Equipment
MC Light Armour, MC Buckler, MC Longsword,, Repeater Crossbow, Dagger w/ UC, Dagger w/ DV Shade Cloak. Field Kit (Healing x3), Vials of Unseen Chains (x3 uses) , Vials of Dark Venom (x4 uses) , Lamia Fang, Harpy Claws
Circlets : 260, , Emerald Eye (200Circ.) Rations: 10/10 Bolts: 16/20 , Null Stone
Skills
Basic Stealth - Heal
Rkhatzar
Assassin

Post by Rkhatzar »

Sac Dagger on the other hand can give you the edge to get spell without miscast - roll minimal number of dices and add one after another, until spells is cast or probability to high to continue.

also there are is pendant to protect sorcerers, oh and we can take two 3lv high sorcerers so...
”Fear in hearts, Fear in eyes, Fear is all before they die."
Vaari
Black Guard

Post by Vaari »

Rkhatzar - Good point. My outmoded thinking has had the Sac Dagger as something I gave to Lvl1-2 Sorc's to up their power, Supreme Sorceress don't have that point limitation, and as you say with the pendant, there is a good chance the caster will come off unscathed but the unit is still looking at a pretty nasty hit with a miscast. I am dreading my first large template S10 unit fry.
Group 28
Character Stats
Equipment
MC Light Armour, MC Buckler, MC Longsword,, Repeater Crossbow, Dagger w/ UC, Dagger w/ DV Shade Cloak. Field Kit (Healing x3), Vials of Unseen Chains (x3 uses) , Vials of Dark Venom (x4 uses) , Lamia Fang, Harpy Claws
Circlets : 260, , Emerald Eye (200Circ.) Rations: 10/10 Bolts: 16/20 , Null Stone
Skills
Basic Stealth - Heal
Rkhatzar
Assassin

Post by Rkhatzar »

yes, but aren't those of not so noble blood supposed to die, for the grater cause? And doesn't magic be dangerous? ;P

I'm struggling between heavy magic and 2xCOB.:P
”Fear in hearts, Fear in eyes, Fear is all before they die."
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

You can't just add one dice after another. The item description quite clearly says once per casting attempt.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Mayordaley
Warrior

Post by Mayordaley »

The Tome of Furion will be worth it's weight in gold! A Lvl2 with ToF & Lifetaker, or seal of Grond, will be hanging out in a 10 x 3 block of RxBs in my lists.
Sucess isn't permanent, and failure isn't fatal. -Da Coach-
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Seal of Ghrond and Darkstarcloak just got heaps better. It's always good to have the knowledge you won't end up with just 2 power dice or just 1 dispel dice in a very unlucky magic phase.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

I for one will be looking at the Black Dragon Egg in my lists. On a Master it can prove to be quite a nasty surprise and could make or break a combat.
C_freman
Dark Rider

Post by C_freman »

Sac. dagger just got way better, mainly due to the 12 die pero pool restriction and to the fact that wizards now add their level to the result.

With a lvl 4 wizard, you can consistently cast black horror on two die (avg 7, + 4 for the level), and sacrifice only in case you really need it, thus reducing the chances of miscats.

In addition, the greater number of miniatures per unit and the reroll from the BSB will help against panic checks if the pearl is not included in the unit.
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

I agree with that assessment. Rerolling psycology tests BSB and bigger units also means that the pearl of infinite bleakness is going to be less common.
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

The banner of Hag Graef will be seen far less often. We infinitely hate the only army that it would be really useful against and moderately hate everyone else anyway.

Daggers of hotek got worse too but they were pretty lame to start with.

The corsair frenzy banner will be utterly useless unless we find that AHW and Frenzy stack. They both reference the same ability in the rulebook :)

The warbanner and the standard of slaughter got worse. More casualties in combat will lessen their impact and winning by huge margins will be less important with so many stubborn blocks around.

Finally with fear not quite what it was I can see the dread being sidelined. Still decent but not what it was.
Swab
Cold One Knight

Post by Swab »

Vaari wrote:Rkhatzar - Good point. My outmoded thinking has had the Sac Dagger as something I gave to Lvl1-2 Sorc's to up their power, Supreme Sorceress don't have that point limitation, and as you say with the pendant, there is a good chance the caster will come off unscathed but the unit is still looking at a pretty nasty hit with a miscast. I am dreading my first large template S10 unit fry.

I played a game yesterday using a lvl 4 in a unit of 30 rxb. Killed 16 crossbowmen by miscasting. Even worse, I miscasted for PoD. I gained 4 dice and then lost 6 dice while killing off over half of my unit. I can easily say that cost me the game.
Vaari
Black Guard

Post by Vaari »

@ Swab - I was afraid that would be the case but I didn't thiunk it would be that bad..ouch.

@ All - Keep it coming people, good response's all round so far. I am thinking of compiling our thoughts in to a DRAICH article once these ideas/combos/thoughts have been ironed out and playtested.

So all posters will be rewarded with a credit in our Supreme Art of War :P
Group 28
Character Stats
Equipment
Skills
Basic Stealth - Heal
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

Apparently PoK will be going down in stock because of Lore of Metal 'sniper' spells that go straight through its ward because they don't have a strength.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Swab
Cold One Knight

Post by Swab »

Yea, the only thing is that if your opponent is taking lore of metal against our army they made a bad magic decision.

The way the lore of metal works is that whatever your armor save is, that is the number needed to wound.

5+ armor = 5s to wound

Our PoK character usually only has a 4 or sometimes a 3 armor save, and if you put it on a sorceress, she can't be hurt by it because she doesn't have an armor save.
Dalamar wrote:RAW, yes. But it's slapworthy.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Signature Death spell makes short work of PoK, it just does wounds (between 1-6 depending on wizard and target LD) with no S value and no armour save allowed.
7th edition army book:

Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

Ring of Hotek.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Yeah... Ring of Hotek is a must now. Not having it is a massive mistake.

Other armies' magic defenses?
Black Tongue and Infernal Puppet are both Arcane Items, meaning if the wizard loses all his levels (and many miscast take away d3 levels) they become useless.
Cupped Hands of the Old Ones are an arcane item as well I believe, and Slann with no magic levels... is kinda useless ;)
Becalming Cognition won't be seen much anymore. You *want* your opponent to miscast and this ability now removes both IF and Miscasts ;)

Ring of Hotek just got a lot better.

Down for Pendant of Khaeleth though I believe. I definitely prefer 45 points for a definite 4+ ward rather than having my unarmored sorceress hit by some no-strength value spell.
7th edition army book:

Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

Banner of Murder's definitely better. You'll have more guys getting the benefits because they can actually attack, and it's cheaper than the new AP banner in the BRB as I recall.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Deathpepper
Warrior

Post by Deathpepper »

ASF banner should go on CoKs now. Rerolling lances!

PoK is still good and cheap, just not god-like anymore.

Stubborn pearl seems kind of useless.

Throwing stars aren't as good.
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

ASF banner should go on CoKs now. Rerolling lances!

We already get a reroll from hatred. The ASF banner is only useful on executioners now.
Vaari
Black Guard

Post by Vaari »

A few of our in-house items have become situational, but thats ok, change is change.

I for one are looking forward to my Dreadlord running around in AoD with the Pond Stone, those rerolls are going to get under some skins for sure.
Group 28
Character Stats
Equipment
Skills
Basic Stealth - Heal
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Dreadlord running around in AoD with the Pond Stone, those rerolls are going to get under some skins for sure.

Until he gets hit by a weapon that ignores saves or is very high strength, then he'll be toast.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Masterofdarkness
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Masterofdarkness »

Ring of Hotek, before it was am i going to risk casting a spell in its radius, now its HELL NO.

With the way characters work now, a hag BSB in executioners is not as much of a hit as it was before. Also can get a few cheap masters in there. Makes the case for lots of cheap characters in my opinion.

I think cry of war got a lot better with all the new spells that do a leadership hit. If you got the extra points.

Glad the book clarified it as lords and heros, so now the assassin will not eat into our character points

Guiding eye might actually be worth it. throw it on a sorc or something if you have the points

I think black staff got a little better as it can help prevent that failure on a simple spell.
Always look for the knife from the shadows.

Wait a minute, how do you hide a +2 flaming longsword in the shadows?
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

One of my 30 RxB units includes a Sorceress with ToF and the Eye. IMO it's golden.