Dreadlord builds

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Malmorte
Shade

Dreadlord builds

Post by Malmorte »

What is the best build for a killy dreadlord?

Here some I've thougt of..

(all have cold one mount, hvy armour, shield and SDC)

#1 PoK, potion of strength, hydra blade- ultra nasty on potion of strength turn, otherwise ok with many S4 attacks, but doesn't have comabt stamina

#2 PoK, giant blade- my new fav-4 S7 attacks every turn-dead reliable you are probably going to kill 3 models a turn be they goblins or chaos knights, and can take any character down

#3 PoK-ogre blade-same as above but less strength and save you some points

personally I'm leaning towards numer 2...

any other builds to share?
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Malmorte
Shade

Post by Malmorte »

thanks !
Eolelfslayer
Dark Rider

Post by Eolelfslayer »

Hello,
well if you want a killy general i suggest u take some deadlier magic weapon, as you have to overcome his average S and A scores.
Personally i go for a more survivable than killy general, with pok and AolD, full mundane kit, cold one and lance. With 4 W and the pendant you're not gonna die too soon, even spells that make you roll under characteristics are usually not a big issue, though i usually give the unit he's with some kind of spell protection as well. This has a dual purpuse: first, oddly enough, your opponent will usually be terribly annoyed by being unable to kill you general, even to the point of doing silly things and even losing the game because he just tries to do this certainly impolite (but rarely game deciding) thing forgetting most other important areas of the conflict. Second reason is that i love an LD 10 general, and i like having him around when i need his LD boost.
Deathpepper
Warrior

Post by Deathpepper »

I like these builds.

Kill everything lord to go in Coldone knights:
CO, cloak, Crimson Death, AoES, Dawnstone, OT shard

Chuck Norris Dreadlord, could go with knights or solo on peg:
CO/peg, HA, cloak, Soulrender, Dragonhelm, PoK, Crown of Command
Last edited by Deathpepper on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Deathpepper wrote:I like these builds.

Kill everything lord to go in Coldone knights:
CO, cloak, Crimson Death, AoES, Dawnstone, OT shard

Chuck Norris Dreadlord, could go with knights or solo on peg:
CO/peg, HA, cloak, Deathpiercer, Dragonhelm, PoK, Crown of Command

I like the idea, but technically your Dreadlord level Chuck Norris build is illegal. That's 105 points of magic equipment on him. The concept is nice however, it just needs a little more tailoring before it becomes usable.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Deathpepper
Warrior

Post by Deathpepper »

Deathpiercer should have been Soulrender, got the names confused.

Magic Item pts should work out to 100pts and 95pts, respectively.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Giant Blade is badass, then 4+ Regen armour and Dragonbane gem to compensate each other.

Full mundane armour and a Cold One mount will see you at 1+ AS, 4+ Regen or 2+ Ward vs fire and S7.

I like this build, I think it was someone's idea along with a medium unit of Knights to go with. It's a nice balanced build, giving you respectable protection and some very nice hitting power AND nice movement to boot. True you suffer from Stupidity as a result, but at Ld10 you'll rarely go stupid. It's not a very hard build either because your Dreadlord can still be killed, and will be very scared of KB too. So it's still friendly to play against.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Shakra sharktooth
Warrior
Location: In a very high tower ready to throw a goblin over the edge

Post by Shakra sharktooth »

I also like the style of the Reg. Armour and Dragonbane gem, though I personally use the Ogre Blade instead. Mainly because I think it is overkill to use S7 against T3-4 troops, for the extra points I usually buy The Oth. Tri. Sha. It makes the opponent think twice before putting their "invincible" lord in close combat with my D. lord.

PS: Children wear Superman-pyjamas´, Superman wears a Chuck Norris-pyjamas. ( - ;
My Foc. Fam. is a snotling from the NG Fanatics sprue. I kind of like the idea of the entire power of Chaos being pumped through a snotling.

When I press the Smilie button it says "Hacking Attempt". What should I do?
Cailil
Executioner

Post by Cailil »

I find it difficult to look at my general in isolation - if he's in a unit, if they're paired with another DL or Lv4 Sorc or not.
At 2.5 K I'm using a DL with AoD, Crimsn Death & Ring of Darkness in a unit of 11 CoKs. He shares the Lord points with a level 4 Sorc who has the PoK & a Dagger in a unit of RxBs.
Have been thinking about fielding a SDC, AoES, CD lord on a CO though.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Personally, I run my Dreadlord (when I bother to take one) on a Dragon, and give him PoK, Crown of Command, and the Whip of Agony. He is difficult to kill, will rarely run, and he puts out a respectable 5 S5 attacks a turn.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Olderplayer
Executioner

Post by Olderplayer »

I think that the very difficult to kill dreadlord needs to hold up. Either by himself or with a unit of COK with the ASF banner (allows re-rolls to hit with ASF and I equal to or greater than enemy), I'm giving him the whip of agony (+1 attack, S5 unmodifiable, and AP). The crown of command is essential for when he is locked in a challenge and fighting against a lot of SCR (or even ACR if the enemy unit kills a lot of COKs in the unit), even better with the BSB trailing behind in range. Then Pendant of K (nearly essential for being locked in combat)and 1+ AS with the cold one. The PoK has left a lot of opponents cursing of late and saved the dreadlord's butt when the 1+ AS is not enough or the enemy gets past the AS with KB, vomit (nasty Throgg and Troll unit run next to a chosen unit with the BSB), or very high strength attacks. The only things really I fear are dwellers and a couple of the lore of death spells with that set up. I typically save the dawmstone for the BSB.

I have lost the dreadlord only once in a total of some 30+ battles (16 in highly competitive tourneys and most of the remainder in competitive games), and that was to a lucky cannon shot (failed the ward save), since the beginning of 8th edition. He has tar pitted models and units and held up in multiple rounds of combat with Bloodthirsters, herald of khorne and bloodletter horde, throgg and trolls unit, chosen, chaos knights with lord and bsb, temple guard with scar vets, stegs. I'm seeing a lot of lizardmen and use the dreadlord to tie up and limit the facing of the Slann (forward arc required for the damaging spells and LOS required to pass on the cupped hands to my casters) and hold up his TG deathstar unit while I run around and whip most of the rest of the army with hydras and COKs and dark riders and RXBs. Occassionally, a mounted ring of hotek master is then run behind the lvl 4 caster's unit while the dreadlord has the caster's unit tied down.
Vect
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Vect »

I only ever run my dreadlord in 1 configuration
The Anything-slower-than-me-killer:
Dreadlord, cold one, heavy armor, chillblade, pendent of khaeleth, shield
2+ armor, reverse ward save, toughness test for each hit inflicted, cannot attack back after being hit
i have killed archaon 1v1 with him before
With Hatred, All things are possible.
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

You'd be far better off without the Chillblade. Its only saving grace is not being quite as bad as Web of Shadows.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Minaras
Trainee Warrior

Post by Minaras »

Vect wrote:I only ever run my dreadlord in 1 configuration
The Anything-slower-than-me-killer:
Dreadlord, cold one, heavy armor, chillblade, pendent of khaeleth, shield
2+ armor, reverse ward save, toughness test for each hit inflicted, cannot attack back after being hit
i have killed archaon 1v1 with him before

Why wouldn't you give him Sea Dragon Cloak for an +1 AS...?

In an armylist specified against WoC, Chillblade isn't as crappy as otherwise. Especially not if you run shadow magic.
Hoooty-Hoot and all that jazz
Strollinthewoods
Corsair

Post by Strollinthewoods »

To be completly honest I think the crown of command should be banned from the game.

I think the pok (reverse w save pendant) is very very god, but its not broken by any means by itself.

I run around with a dreadlord with the pendant and the crown of command, 2+ ward vs flaming and 1+ save in combat, with st 6 armourpiercing. And I cant honesty say that Im truly ok with the way these items complement each other.

What Im saying is that I actually think they complement each other to well. And the impact this guy has on my games are sometimes just rather silly to be honest.

That beeing said, crown of command and pendant pretty much is among the smartest things you could ever do with your dreadlord.