Maerus the Zealous, Cultist of Slaanesh - Character Rules

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Kildare
Slave (off the Altar)

Maerus the Zealous, Cultist of Slaanesh - Character Rules

Post by Kildare »

So I've spent quite some time now transfixed by the Cult of Slaanesh, and recently started thinking up ideas for my own member of the Cult. Below I posted the final result: My character's backstory, magic items, special rules, and points cost. I'd appreciate any review and feedback, in terms of points cost (too high, too low, just riiight) and overall fairness. So without further adieu, enjoy:

Maerus the Zealous, Cultist of Slaanesh

Born to an impoverished family in Naggarond, Maerus served as a spearman under a local highborn who was secretly a member of the Cult of Slaanesh. After some years of mere guard duty, Maerus joined his lord on an expedition into the Northern Wastes. The warband fell upon a Slaaneshi shrine during their travels. Curious about what he saw, and feeling a growing interest in the winds of magic, Maerus moved to Ghrond and sought out the Cult of Excess where it flourished most. After his initiation into the cult, Maerus quickly rose in power as a result of his considerable charisma and ambition. His character during this ascension earned him the title of Maerus the Zealous within the cult.

Desiring more than just physical strength, Maerus eventually layed down his spear and began to study the manipulation of the winds of magic, although he never completely forsake his training at arms. His actions thus far within the cult have earned him a spot on Morathi's court, and a small estate within the heart of Ghrond. Despite his being a sorcerer, and therefore an outlaw, Maerus remains loyal to Malekith. Not seeking to displease the Witch King, and satisfied with his knowledge as a sorcerer, Maerus saw it fit to take a contingent of his followers to the Northern Wastes. There they wander in search of powerful artifacts to aid in the never-ending war against the High Elves, occasionally leaving the Wastes to return to Ghrond and meet at Morathi's court or raid scattered villages across the map just to bask in the artistic beauty of their destruction.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
5 6 5 4 3 3 7 3 9

Equipment
Maerus wears the Armor of the Dark Prince and a Sea Dragon Cloak, and wields the Sword of Secrets and a shield.

Magic
Maerus is a Level 4 Wizard and knows spells from the Lore of Death.

Mount
Maerus rides a Dark Pegasus.

Magic Items

Armor of the Dark Prince (Magic armor)

Heavy Armor. Gives the same benefits as the Armor of Living Death (see page 102 of the Dark Elf army book), however Maerus does not need to roll at the beginning of the game to see if he will suffer from Stupidity.

Sword of Secrets (Magic weapon)

Follows the rules for the Ogre Blade, found on page 501 of the Warhammer Rulebook.

Special Rules
Eternal Hatred.

Cultist of Slaanesh: It is traditional within the Cult of Slaanesh that warbands are led by Sorceresses within favor of the Cult. Obliging by this tradition, Maerus can never be the army general. Also, any army including Maerus is assumed to be a Cult of Slaanesh warband, and as a result may not include any Khainite units or Black Guard, unless they are being substituted for Slaanesh units (i.e. Witch Elves swapped for Daemonettes).

Warrior-Mage: Maerus has trained for many years as both a warrior and a sorcerer. Though he prefers to wreak havoc with his magical prowess, Maerus comes to battle prepared for melee combat as well. His years of practice give Maerus the ability to remain unhindered by wearing armor while casting. Thus, his armor does not prevent his spell casting.
The ends justify the means.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

It's hard to say how this character would fit without something else to compare it to. I'm not sure what Slaanesh army rules you'd use him for so I'm not sure what role he fits within the army. To me it looks like a good start though!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Eolelfslayer
Dark Rider

Post by Eolelfslayer »

Well, nice attempt.
I'd play against him at that points value, no problem.
I myself would, however, prefer a more combat oriented model (like the old SOC anointed, now THAT was WAY better than any dreadlord, PoK or not!).
Any daemons in your slaaneshi warband rules?
I hold a banner drenched in blood, I urge you to be brave
I lead you to your destiny, I lead you to your grave
Your bones will build my palaces, your eyes will stud my crown
For I am Khaine, the god of war, and I will cut you down.
Kildare
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kildare »

For the most part I just use "count as" rules, like having daemonette models in place of witch elves and furies instead of harpies, but I'm also throwing in some flavor conversions, i.e. swapping the Std. Bearer's Cold One for a Slaanesh Seeker in both of my CoK units. I don't really deviate from the Dark Elf army book at all, though I agree that the old Cult of Slaanesh rules were awesome. Basically what I had in mind with this character was a magic-oriented Druchii Anointed.
Kildare
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kildare »

Also, by "Cult of Slaanesh warband" i just meant any army list you made with a Slaanesh theme.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

What qualifies as a "Slaanesh" theme? There are no Slaanesh-oriented units in the Dark Elf book, are there??
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Kildare
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kildare »

No, there aren't any Slaanesh units in the Dark Elf book. I would think a Slaanesh theme would be where the player chooses to make his army worshippers of Slaanesh. Most people when they make a Cult army take units in the Dark Elf book and replace their models with Slaanesh models (for example, replacing Witch Elves with Daemonettes), however they still use the Witch Elf rules. On top of that, in my army I've replaced Harpies with Furies and a couple Cold Ones with Seekers. Also, instead of a Cauldron of Blood I'm currently working on making an Altar of Slaanesh that would follow the same rules (as the CoB has an added affect for Khainite units, it makes sense that this altar would enhance the Daemonettes more than other units [Witch Elves are the only Khainites in the army]).

I hope I answered your question.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Just to add some background for those who are confused:

Way back when, Games Workshop released the Storm of Chaos armybook. That book, centered on Archaon's invasion of the Old World, contained a number of supplemental army lists that took the main armybooks and added some theme to them. Storm of Chaos first introduced the Daemonic Legion as their own army. It also allowed you to field a Middenheim-themed Empire army that contained Middenheim-only units. My personal favorite in the book was the Cult of Slaanesh, which provided an armylist that represented Dark Elf/Chaos/Daemon worshippers blended into one tabletop legal Games Workshop-sanctioned army.

Of course, the Storm of Chaos book is old, outdated and no longer legal, but the Cult still lives on in the memories of those who played it (myself included.) Most of us just use the current Dark Elf armybook, and substitute Slaanesh-looking models for existing Dark Elf units (Daemonettes as Witch Elves, Daemonete-themed Furies, that sort of thing.)

However, some players like to use experimental rules or create their own units in order to get a fun, themed Cult experience. Druchii.net also has an unofficial set of experimental rules for using the Cult while drawing on the current Dark Elf/Warriors of Chaos/Daemon armybooks.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.