Some things I have learned.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Geist
Noble

Some things I have learned.

Post by Geist »

Tips and tricks I have picked up from a few games.
1 anything that has a mandatory movement IE random movement is hell easy to handle.
2 dread lord Pegasus challenge monkey of doom.
3repeater handbows are god like against any t3 army.
4wither the warmachines so you wound them on 5+ instead of 6+ from repeater fire.
5target the engineer with life taker.

Let me go over my 5 points of insanity in more detail here.
1If something has to use random movement it can not declare a charge, (if there is something out there that breaks this rule lemme know cause I dont know it yet), not being able to declare a charge is awesome. As the charge part of the game is the only time your EVER allowed to break the 1 inch rule. This means the hell pit can never spin and attack the harpies and so on. Best part is you lock the the creature into going straight ahead. Just rember to make this work you must be 1 inch from the center of the model, as it MUST pivot on its center.

2send your lord into any unit with a hero or lord that you want dead, grant him KB from the cauldron. Not only will you survive but the ensuring combat res and having charged will ensure you win combat that round. Sure you wont break the other unit but its suddenly locked up. I will address what I think is the proper lord build at the bottom of this post.

3repeater handbows, if your anything like me your number one problem against most armies that is not uber troops, its hordes of low toughness steadfast for a million years blocks. These handbows work a number on them. Just walk up fire away and when charged fire again. That many shots will stem anything and make it so your not dealing with steadfast forever.

4I hate warmachines with such a passion that I tend to shoot them with my firepower instead of shooting ranked up units. I know its not always a good play, but it does help reduce return fire. Well maybe you knew this tid bit but it came to me like a brain fart in the night. Lower the toughness of a warmachine make it easier to wound. For all you math geeks out there you know that wounding on a 5 instead of a 6 makes a massive difference. Specially if your tossing 40 shots down range at a target.

5Those nasty lil runts that stand there and make the warmachines specially dwarven ones reroll even more and ensure those lovely missfires are just funny looking pips on a die instead of night terrors that they aught to be. Well it took me a few games to realize that you can target those runts, that they are just a whole new unit. So walk up whoever has life taker and pop 3 shots off. 2 turns at most and hes no longer telling who to shoot what.

The proper lord build to crash into some ones lines and cash out the lord you want dead.
You need a peggy for flight, whip of agony for that extra attack(cause we are playing the numbers here folks, the other tricksters to make them reroll that ward, 1+ armour save so you can last against the next batch of attacks latter on, the reverse ward to ensure that you can handle those really heavy hits, the dragon helm for that 1+ armour and the needed 2+ vs fire because metal spells are evil against heavy armour.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Aimbob
Warrior

Re: Some things I have learned.

Post by Aimbob »

Geist wrote:For all you math geeks out there you know that wounding on a 5 instead of a 6 makes a massive difference. Specially if your tossing 40 shots down range at a target.

If it's toughness is lowered by 1, you will still wound on 6's with our S3 crossbows.

My crossbowmen usually don't move enough to get in the 24" range of their warmachines.

So, you'd have to put in a lot of effort for a warmachine. A bit excessive if you ask me.

5 harpies could accomplish the same, and you don't even need magic to support it.

On the other hand, lowering T on a warmachine is less likely to be dispelled then you would cast it on a big unit. If you would have a crossbowmen unit in range and you have a lot of power dice and a spell which the opponent knows is a bigger threat then mayb I'd cast it on the warmachine.

Geist wrote:5Those nasty lil runts that stand there and make the warmachines specially dwarven ones reroll even more and ensure those lovely missfires are just funny looking pips on a die instead of night terrors that they aught to be. Well it took me a few games to realize that you can target those runts, that they are just a whole new unit. So walk up whoever has life taker and pop 3 shots off. 2 turns at most and hes no longer telling who to shoot what.

I've read somewhere that they still are allowed to make look out sir rolls. But it is still favorable, because then the crew should get hit.
..__i___........__
...) ) ) ) ) ..r..(°°)
.\OOOOO/..../()\
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

From the Dwarf Errata/FAQ for the Master Engineer:

Page 38 – Artillery Master
Change to “Artillery Master: A Master Engineer within 3"
of a war machine is allowed to take a ‘Look Out Sir!’ roll as if
he was within 3" of a unit of five or more models. In addition,
one war machine that is within 3" of a Master Engineer
receives the following benefits:
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

Thanks Geist - there are some very useful tips in there. I'm liking the movement control for random movement models as its makes harpies even more useful. I'm a firm believer that Lifetaker is mandatory as there are so many things that it can do. I had previously discounted the whip (not sure why) but your recommendation made me go back over the rules and it is definitely a very worthwhile item.
UNSEEN LERKER MAGAZINE - It'll make you happier than a Corsair in a Bretonnian orphanage.