Best talisman for your Supreme lady

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Diablo
Cold One Knight

Best talisman for your Supreme lady

Post by Diablo »

Not sure if anyone came with this topic before (if so, im terribly sorry but i didnt find it) but i wonder, what is the best taliman for your SS on foot. As i build my rosters the best 3 talismans for me are:
a) Talisman of preservation
b) Pendant of khaeleth
c) Seal of ghrond

First couple of premises.
1) Im assuming SS on foot in unit of spears/crossbows
2) What are the most common things that can happen to her?
I) unit gets slaughtered by lots and lots of CC attacks / shooting
II) misscats
III) sniped by cannonball
IV) sniped by Death Lore spell

So my question is: Does she really need those defensive talismans or is the seal better because better magic defense?

as for I) a) "makes her T3 6wound" assuming lots of atacks not much diference. b) "makes her T3 9-12wound" better but still. T3, no As...
So as long as we can keep her unit out of CC/in cover shes ok with seal.
as for II) I think after 3 misscats, the sorceres is ruined with or without the save. She will either slaughter her bunker or lost a lots of PD... None of misscats efects is multiwound thing so we dont have to worry about her being dead after the first. Of course because of high S of misscasts the pendant is better but still, who need "18 wound" sorceres just because of surviving misscats? I think 4+ ward is enough.
as for III) chance of her being hit in unit is about 17%. Chance of beeing wound without any save is about 14%. Is the save really needed?
and as for IV) with seal we can keep those nasty spells out of game. With ToP we give her 50/50 chance while Pendant is useless...

When i sum it up, I think that the seal is best because it can help our against magic and if she need that save, something went terribly wrong and it wont make much good. As for defence I think that ToP is better because beeing sniped by lore of death spell is much probable than beeing sniped by cannonball or misscats.

And what do YOU think?
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

I like Pendant because I like to throw BUCKETS of dice on spell casting. The Pendant makes the S10 Miscast laughable.

On the other hand... it keeps it from going on the Dreadlord, so go figure.

~B~
Anchanrogar
Corsair

Post by Anchanrogar »

Easy choice I take the pendant on my level 4 (for the same miscast reasons).
But even going up to 3k points lvl 4 and cauldron bsb are my only characters I dont have a dreadlord, I prefer more units.
A man without tea in him is incapable of comprehending either truth or beauty.
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

If I'm not running the unkillable Dreadlord, yes, I'll run the Pendant. Otherwise, I find that the Talisman of Preservation does pretty good for its cost. Mostly, it keeps you from being sniped, though it doesn't have near the potential for challenge insanity that the Pendant does.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Norngahl
Warrior

Post by Norngahl »

I always run the unkillable lord (GW, AoD, PoK, CoC) so my Lvl4 on 3k points gets the opal amulet.. she doesn´t get into combat anyhow, hides in a unit so she´s pretty save but IF I once roll a miscast or get an unlucky shot she has at least a decent protection. But the argument she needs the talisman of 4+ ward.. well.. she doesn´t use the talisman in 5 out of 6 games, so better spendung the 30 more points elsewhere.. they are 5 walking power dices!

Seal of Ghrond isn´t bad.. but somehow people in my are tend to throw 6 dices per spell (or just as much as they have) just to bring the worst spell they have through. So SoG still isn´t what it once was..

If you want magical protection, take lore of death and snipe the other wizard to death so he can´t hurt you anymore..
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

Norngahl wrote:I always run the unkillable lord (GW, AoD, PoK, CoC) so my Lvl4 on 3k points gets the opal amulet.. she doesn´t get into combat anyhow, hides in a unit so she´s pretty save but IF I once roll a miscast or get an unlucky shot she has at least a decent protection. But the argument she needs the talisman of 4+ ward.. well.. she doesn´t use the talisman in 5 out of 6 games, so better spendung the 30 more points elsewhere.. they are 5 walking power dices!

Yeah thats exactly why i bring that question. Since im trying to keep her out of harm, one (even two) misscats wont kill her (except for misscats 2-4 and 1-3 roll but in that case the ward wont help her either) is that protection really worth it?
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Diablo wrote:Yeah thats exactly why i bring that question. Since im trying to keep her out of harm, one (even two) misscats wont kill her (except for misscats 2-4 and 1-3 roll but in that case the ward wont help her either) is that protection really worth it?

The fluff for the PoK says is is meant to protect sorc from miscasts, which is why i use it on the girls and never on a lord or master.

It protects from miscasts, cannonballs, and the odd suicide charge from flying critters and anything else that goes wrong. Its a cheap protection for your 300+ point investment.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

The Pendant has never let me down, my lvl 4 rarely gets wounded because of it.

That said, I've never played against a list with Death Magic, but I wouldnt think it would be that much of a problem. I definitely wouldnt swap the POK out just because of the chance I could come against Death.
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

At 3000pts, I just love fielding a SS on black pegasus with PoK, staff of sorcery and black dragon egg...
She never died so far and caused lot of casualties to lesser races pathetic so-called armies. Thus my DL will wear the regen armour with dragon helm!
Our club's facebook page:
Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville
Look for French tourneys pics galleries!