Cloak of haggraef

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

A.andersson
Corsair

Cloak of haggraef

Post by A.andersson »

Does this item also protect your dragon/manticore. If so would a dragon be competitive in a 2000 points game? eq: cloak of haggraef, shield, harmour, gw.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

No. But dragons can still be competative in a 2,000 point game. Manticores are an unusual choice but still fun.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The main issue with dragons in 2000 point games is that you are limited to taking just 40 points of equipment and magic items on your dreadlord (as the dreadlord + dragon cost 460 base).
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

and some magic/ ability's / units can make quick work of a dragon, and being 1/4th of your army, delivering another 100 vp because of general means it draws allot of focus. things like I tests, lore of metal, or even lore of death (the strenth on on the general then spirit leach on the dragon. It could die whitout ever seeing combat, and you have very little in the way of protection, as you can't put a lvl 4 caster.
Dm crew
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dm crew »

So, if a Dreadlord on dragon with this Cloak is hit by cannon ball (St10), will both lord AND dragon get St10/2=5 hit or lord only? And why?
Lord damian valar
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord damian valar »

Under the new rules a cannon shot is handled as a template. Thus both the Dragon and the Lord will get hit. The Lord will be hit at str 5 and the Dragon at str 10.

The cloak only protects the bearer (not his unit). Same way as a normal SDC does not grant the Dragon +2 to its AS against shooting.

It is still however a good way to protect against cannons. a Dragon usually can swallow a cannonball without dying outright and the lord remains a 3+ AS against str 5. Just make sure those cannons do not get to shoot again.

Also, make use of terrain. If there is a wall (fence) on the table, make sure your dragon gets behind it. Cannon shots destroy walls, but do not bounce through them. This has saved my dragon a lot of times!

Besides this, remember your opponent has to kill the Lord and the Dragon to get any VP out of them!

D...

A.andersson
Corsair

Post by A.andersson »

The item clearly states howerer that all hits agianst the character are resolved at half strength. The new rules for monstrous mounts on pages 104-105 states that they shuld be treated as a single character model with the monster unit type. It is still possible to hit either but they are the same modell, a character model, wich has the cloak. Im not arguing that it is definately so, but rather looking at the rules from different angles.
Still nobody will expect it at 2000 points hehe... Thanks all!
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Re: .

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Lord Damian Valar wrote:Under the new rules a cannon shot is handled as a template. Thus both the Dragon and the Lord will get hit. The Lord will be hit at str 5 and the Dragon at str 10.

Where are you getting this from? I have heard a couple people say this, but I find nothing in the rules that equates a cannon shot to a template.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Where are you getting this from? I have heard a couple people say this, but I find nothing in the rules that equates a cannon shot to a template.

P105: "Templates. If you use a weapon or spell that uses a template against a monster mount, both the riders and the mount are automatically hit if the monster's base is touched by the template (note that this includes bouncing cannonballs!)"

P113: "Who's been hit? The bounce of the cannonball is treated exactly like a special kind of template, which we assume to be about the width of the cannonball itself"
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lord damian valar
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord damian valar »

Jeez, got back from work and started reading though the BRB to give Dyvim Tvar his answer, logged in only to find that Red beat me to it! :lol:

hehe, well, answer given!!!
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Thanks for tracking this down. I have yet to use a ridden monster in 8th Edition, so at least I never played anything wrong. This interaction of rules really makes Dragons less viable. And it make Stegadons completely suck for those who play Lizardmen ...
Truly These are the End Times ...
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

The irony is, the high elf dragon armour, not only gives the rider a 2+ vs fire attacks and does not count against magic item limit also protects the mount as well. Giant bed sheet of asbestos is how I always imagined it. Sadly the cloak does not work so great for us, poor timmy the dragon he just wants to watch cannon balls bounce off him.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii