HE book

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Assani
Highborn

HE book

Post by Assani »

I am playing a HE with the book (forgot the name) that cast irresitible force on any two dice alike for 100p. It is really annoying!

He plays really defensive as well, so it's hard to get to his wizard placed in a phenix guard unit.

Anny good advice how to take him down fast?

Edited by Mod
Please keep good writing standards as everyone else in this forum.
It shows them that you do care about them.
Calisson.

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

How to take down the Book of Hoeth Archmage depends a lot on your opponent's overall army composition, which magic lore is being used, an whether Banner of the World Dragon is present to protect the Archmage.

If your opponent is careless, then the Unkillable Dreadlord with Crown of Command and Pendant of Khaeleth on a Dark Pegasus is a good option. Point straight towards the Archmage's unit, get into combat with it, and allocate all attacks against the Archmage when possible. If you're challenged, kill the champion then go for the Archmage in the following round. Remember that the Book isn't Irresistible Force on any doubles... YOu still have to achieve the casting value of the spell for it to go off successfully, so a failed cast will still shut down that Archmage.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maldor »

You may want to try a feedback scroll.
Lock up your children, shut all windows tight.
The Witch Elves are hunting for victims tonight.
When old hags do knock at your door, you must hide,
Your death is the gift sought by Khaine's pretty brides.
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Tethlis wrote: Remember that the Book isn't Irresistible Force on any doubles... YOu still have to achieve the casting value of the spell for it to go off successfully, so a failed cast will still shut down that Archmage.

Always sound advice.

~B~
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Thank you guys for helping.

He usually protects his mage well in PG, and uses the banner as well. He pretty much uses the Lore of Life, and often goes for double if he gets ToV through.

Have not tried to ram ahead with my unkillable lord to get to his archmage, since his playing tight. But maybe I will try it if the oppertunity comes.

Thanks again guys!

Edited by Mod
Please keep good writing standards as everyone else in this forum.
It shows them that you do care about them.
Calisson.

WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Keep in mind that if he uses Banner of the World Dragon to protect his model with the Book, he also can't use Life buffs on them. This will make it much easier to take the fragile BSB and Toughness 2 Teclis with an unkillable Dreadlord or other suicide charges.

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

If you feel cruel, go with shadowblade.

Try and avoid getting challenged by his champ, but if he does don't worry - just accept it and cut him down (dark venom on his blades means you should get enough overkill to hold during combat resolution), then kill the archmage in the turn after.

Not guaranteed to work, but at the very least it'll give him a heck of a fright and discourage him from bringing the model in future!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Throne of Vines does nothing if the Arch Mage casting it is within a unit bearing the Banner of the World Dragon.

And to answer your question - use an Assassin.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

Red... wrote:If you feel cruel, go with shadowblade.

Try and avoid getting challenged by his champ, but if he does don't worry - just accept it and cut him down (dark venom on his blades means you should get enough overkill to hold during combat resolution), then kill the archmage in the turn after.

Not guaranteed to work, but at the very least it'll give him a heck of a fright and discourage him from bringing the model in future!

problem is though that always strike first strikes at the same time , not following I, if were talking lothern sea guard its not a problem but swordmasters or white lions, especially if he got some buffs of, this could pose a problem. you will need a killing blow. and most importantly, the one accepting the challange must move in base contact, no problem on 5 wide but on 7 you'll not be reaching his charachter....ever. best thing is a big block of spears or the like with a assassin. you pop him out in base contact with the caster, either the caster challanges which should be accepted by the assassin or some one else challanges, in which case the unit champioen accepts. theirs only 1 character i know of that can change his position in a unit and thats lokhirs daring leap.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Yes, if you try to use a single model to assassinate the Book-carrying character, you'll need at least two models capable of accepting challenges. Most skilled High Elf players won't let you get a big block into combat with the Archmage, because they'll screen the Archmage's bunker with another unit designed to protect it.

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Mod's comment.
We're here to discuss tactics, not spelling.
Well written posts indicate well thought ideas and respect to the readers. Thank you all.
Keep discussing.
Calisson.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Yea Red. I have done that once with Shadowblade, took out Teclis with him, and his face got all white, was really cool :twisted: :lol:

But we are most of the time playing without char, so therefore some hints and tips needed.

Tnx guys for helping out, much appriciated!

WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

If the Arch Mage is in a unit bearing the Banner of the World Dragon, Throne of Vines has no effect on him. Nor do most of the other spells including the Lore Attribute.

Get a unit containing an Assassin into base contact with the Arch Mage and kill him. With no defensive gear, he'll die very efficiently.
phierlihy@druchii.net
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Go stand next to him with the Ring of Hotek on a pegasushero. The only spells you will have to dispel are the spells which target him (not that much when he's playing lore of life) and wait for the caster to explode :P
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I disagree Ehakir. No where does it state that the Ring of Hotek prevents a spell from going off. True he would miscast with many of his spells but they're still worth dispelling. Also if the Arch Mage is indeed standing in a unit bearing the Banner of the World Dragon, I don't believe the Ring of Hotek would have any effect anyway.

Can a mage benefiting from the protection of the Banner of the World Dragon even suffer the effects of a miscast? That would seem to be a "magical effect" in my mind...
phierlihy@druchii.net