Dark Elves & Skaven _VS_ Chaos Warriors and Undead

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lodoss
Slave on the Altar

Dark Elves & Skaven _VS_ Chaos Warriors and Undead

Post by Lodoss »

Hi all,

I have been playing Warhammer for 2 months now and i'm liking it a lot :)
My Friends have the following armies:

- Skaven
- Chaos Warriors
- Undead

We mostly play 2 vs 2. I found out that our Dark Elves together with Chaos Warriors are an unstoppable combo. However for the next battle i rolled to be together with the Skaven against the other two races. Our armies have an value of 2.000 points each (so 4.000 per side).

To be honest i'm clueless how I together with the skaven will be able to overcome them. My main concern here are the Chaos warriors. The just seem to be unkillable for me and my armies are being butchered by the undead. In the last couple of battles i have see the skaven run dry on the Chaos units.

To summarise i don't think we have the strenth to overcome those 'though' units of the other side. I normally heavily rely on my shadow magic to debuff the opponent. But with this big number difference magic won't do the trick alone i'm affraid. Anyone have a suggestion to overcome this problem?

Kind regards
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

The important thing to remember with Skaven is that their killing power comes primarily from shooting and magic, unlike Dark Elves and Chaos whose focus is combat. For Skaven, combat tends to be a way of occupying/delaying the enemy, forcing them to focus their killing power on units that generally aren't worth many Victory Points (such as Slaves and Clanrats.)

If you're going to use Skaven allied with Dark Elves, you'll want to make sure your Skaven list makes the most of the following:

-Greyseer. This guy is among the best Level 4s in the game, because of the spells he can access. Crack's Call is like a laser-guided Pit of Shade (no scatter rolle, just variable range) that can be perfect for dropping low-Initiative enemies off the table. Scorch is a scary, versatile, accurate template weapon and Plague is devastating against big units. Your answer to Chaos Warriors? The Dreaded 13th spell. Throw 6 dice at this spell every opportunity you get (don't forget to include a Power Scroll and Warpstone Tokens to make the spell easier to cast) and you'll be wiping Chaos Warriors and Chosen off the table with ease.

-Warlock Engineers: They're cheap, and you don't need to upgrade them to magic users to put them to use. Buy an engineer, give him the Doomrocket, and use Skitterleap to teleport him to the flank of the enemy battle line on Turn 1. You should be able to fire the Doomrocket stright down his lines, and no matter what you role, you should be able to hit something useful with the Doomrocket. If you land it on a pack of Chaos Warriors, so much the better.

-Slave blocks, backed up with a high-Leadership general and battle standard bearer. Slaves are too cheap by far, and units of 50, 70, or 100 Slaves are going to be your workhorse for pinning scary enemies in place. The key here is to make sure they remain Steadfast, and can always benefit from your general's Leadershi and battle standard bearer re-rolls, otherwise there's a good chance they'll fail Steadfast on their own pitiful Leadership.

-Warp Lightning Cannons: This thing is half stone thrower, half cannon, since it can lay a template blast over the enemy and does lots of wounds to multi-wound models. A pair of these is a great addition for any Skaven list.

-Hell Pit Abomination, Plague Furnace: These are the two most dangerous, viable combat threats in the Skaven Arsenal. They're both tough to shift, fairly durable, and a complete mess for opponents to fight against. You'll have to be careful sending them against elite opponents like Grave Guard or Chaos Warriors, but they'll go through virtually anything else in those lists like butter.

So keeping in mind that you also have Dark Elves, you're probably going to want to use your Shadow Sorc to make good use of hexes and Mindrazor, while relying on Dreaded 13th to neutralize enemy elite infantry units. Your primary battle line can consist mostly of Slaves to hold the enemy in place, while the Dark Elves can load up a deadly, hard-hitting flank to help overwhelm an enemy. Keep in mind that Warriors of Chaos and Undead (presumably by Undead, you mean Vamp Counts?) have virtually zero shooting, so you should be able to force them to come after you by using the suprior ranged power of the Skaven and Dark Elves.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.