Cold One Knight Origin

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Thenick18
Assassin

Cold One Knight Origin

Post by Thenick18 »

What city or region are the cold one knights the featured soldier?
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

cold one knights arn't a featured soldier, their more of a elite bodyguard, riden by the powerhungry. It would probably cost to much for the state to keep a everready force on hand.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Cold One Knights are found in every city. Every city needs them.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

The malus darkblade novels suggest that har ganeth is a cold one-y place, although they aren't really that great canon.
Opus vos liberaverit
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Yeah I was interested in running a themed army, and I typicall load up all my special points with cold one units, chariots and knights, so I wasn't sure if they were like the Executioners of "har Gaenth" and the knights were from a specific place.
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

Hag Graef is famous for its Cold One Knights more than any other city, Malus Darkblade's (who is from Hag Graef) personal sigil is of a rearing cold-one.

The Darkblade books suggest that most cities do have contingents and regiments of Cold One Knights, Naggarond and Hag Graef as well as the Black ark of Naggor certainly have large contingents of CoK but Hag Graef's knights are the most famed.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Cold Ones are utilized by the nobility, both as ridden and chariot-drawn mounts. Given that virtually all Dark Elf cities have their own noble houses and distinguished families, Cold One Knights can be found all over Naggaroth.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

Tethlis wrote:Cold Ones are utilized by the nobility, both as ridden and chariot-drawn mounts. Given that virtually all Dark Elf cities have their own noble houses and distinguished families, Cold One Knights can be found all over Naggaroth.
I agree with Tethlis.

@Tethlis: This is a bit of an OT Q. really, but why are you named after a phoenix king?!
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Tethlis wrote:Cold Ones are utilized by the nobility, both as ridden and chariot-drawn mounts. Given that virtually all Dark Elf cities have their own noble houses and distinguished families, Cold One Knights can be found all over Naggaroth.

^^ This is what I've always believed.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Noble Korhedron wrote:@Tethlis: This is a bit of an OT Q. really, but why are you named after a phoenix king?!

I started using this name back in my childhood, before I had ever laid eyes on a Games Workshop product. It was only when I discovered Warhammer in my early teens that I learned that GW had come up with the same name and given it to a Phoenix King. I kept the name, but don't keep the association

:D

It also sounds like the nobility likes to emulate Malekith a bit, and that when Malekith took to the field in a chariot (as he did in his old ruleset, and still can today) the nobility followed his lead. The same could easily be true with Cold Ones; they probably fall in and out of favor as a preferred method of war, depending on trends in Dark Elf culture. Granted, it's a steep sacrifice to make given the side effects of riding a Cold One, but Dark Elves don't seem to mind a bit of corporeal punishment while in pursuit of a grander ambition.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Of course COs are used all over Naggaroth. The more interesting question is: Where the most.
Malus99 already named Hag Graef, where the beasts have been originally found. This city even has no other special profile besides of darkness and COs.
But the chariots have their own story: for a long time only allowed to use by Malekith himself, later (when he had a dragon instead) gifts to his local surrounding. Mostly still in Naggarond.
Weren't they even called somewhere "COC of Naggarond" or like that?

So I whould say:
COK - Had Graef
COC - Naggarond

In addition, at least COK also fit well in Karond-Kar. And, again, can be found an every other city as well.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Thanks, that clears it up a lot, I wasn't too into fluff and what not when I started, but now I find that part of the hobby interesting and entertaining, and its just another avenue to keep the interest going.