Switching cold ones for more fleet of foot

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Zenith
Noble

Switching cold ones for more fleet of foot

Post by Zenith »

Recently i have trouble finding goof targets for my chariot and 5 knights. So i was wandering whay your guys would think if i trades them for 20 vanilla witch elves

The rest of the 2400 army exits of

25 warriors
24 corsairs
20 black guard
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

i assume theres more in 2500 point army than a chariot, 5 knights 25 warriors , 24 corsairs and 20 black guard?
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I struggle a bit with fitting two elite infantry regiments into a typical 2400 point list. I find that our elite infantry only really delivers if you can allocate Cauldron Buffs and/or magic to them, so having two units means you split your support resources a bit and one or both units suffer a bit from the lack of support. 20 Witch Elves is also pretty small, as far as Witch Elves go. I like Witches a lot, having experimented more with them recently, but I really like having 30 of them in a unit, or else multiple small units. Anything in the middle feels a bit too vulnerable to missile fire and return attacks, without having the throway nature of a unit of 5-7 Witches.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Tethlis wrote:I struggle a bit with fitting two elite infantry regiments into a typical 2400 point list. I find that our elite infantry only really delivers if you can allocate Cauldron Buffs and/or magic to them, so having two units means you split your support resources a bit and one or both units suffer a bit from the lack of support.
20 Witch Elves is also pretty small, as far as Witch Elves go. I like Witches a lot, having experimented more with them recently, but I really like having 30 of them in a unit, or else multiple small units. Anything in the middle feels a bit too vulnerable to missile fire and return attacks, without having the throway nature of a unit of 5-7 Witches.
I think that's generally a fair summary of DE lists, although with witches, they do have another viable buff in the form of the (yawn) lvl4 shadow sorceress.

Personally, I couldn't play units of 20-ish. In my local meta, they are too small and would get swept away easily by anything I might face. But that depends on your local opponents. Playing bigger units has the advantage of reducing the amount of support your list needs by reducing your number of units by 1-2. That would depend on the OP's opposition though. Perhaps 20's work fine where he is.

On the specifics of including the knights/chariot; it is nice to have something with long range strike power in your list just so you have some initiative vs some of the armies out there and let you dictate some matchups or threaten enemy cav/chariots.