New to 8th, what has changed and what is needed?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lonely shade
Beastmaster

New to 8th, what has changed and what is needed?

Post by Lonely shade »

Hi everyone,

I have been venturing into 40k as well as generally being distracted by life, so I have no yet played a game of Fantasy in 8th Edition. What are the major changes that happened (particularly in respect to DE)? Have the new rules led to significant changes in winning Druchii tactics?

And secondly, I would like some advice for playing my 2 main competitors, Bretonnia and Skaven. Are there strategies that work particularly well against those two armies, or certain units that are a must when fighting those armies? Currently I have 10 CoK, 20 Corsairs, 16 Spearmen, 32 Rxbowmen, 15 Executioners, 15 Black Guard, a Reaper bolt thrower, an Assassin, Sorceress on foot and on CO, Dreadlord on CO, 10 shades, and 2 hydras. Any suggestions on what I should buy? It seems like I definitely need to convert some Harpies. (Are manticores any good? The new manticore model looks really cool.)

Thanks to anyone who responds.

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hi, welcome back!

I suggest a read to D.R.A.I.C.H. 7th => 8th analysis
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

WB mate! Take a look at the analysis as Cal said.

As u mentioned, 2x5 is nice , DL on DP is quite popular, BG is prefered vs Exec, CoB BSB is much used, rank and file is a must to get steadfast, hydra is sweet, RBT is often left at home.

Thats just some pointers, but there are many ways to go:)

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

8th Edition in terms of strategy is an entirely new game from 7th edition. There are a lot of fundamental mechanics that are the same, but the dynamic for building lists and playing games is very new. 8th edition lists look virtually nothing like 7th edition lists did, and tactics you used in 7th edition or before probably won't apply in the 8th edition environment.

As for the units you listed, you're probably going to need quite a bit of Core. Not only does 25% of your list need to be include Core troops, but having a lot of them makes a tremendous difference. The same is true for elite infantry and heavy cavalry, as well; bigger tends to be better where unit size is concerned.

I would suggest reading over some 8th edition battle reports here on the forums to get an understanding of how gameplay and list building has been affected by 8th edition.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

Thanks a lot guys. So it sounds like I will really need to bulk up on core. There is a sale going on, would it be worth while to buy a battalion box set right now?

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

The battalion is a decent purchase, but you probably don't need that much in the way of extra Core. It depends a bit on what playstyle you run. 24-30 Corsars, 24-40 Spearmen, 20 repeater crossbowmen, and a couple of small Harpy units can make for a good Core composition for the 2400-2500 point range (which seems to be a pretty typical size for a "standard" game.) If you favor a more aggressive approach, more Corsairs would suit you well, though I myself really enjoy the flexible, cheap tarpit capability of multiple Spearmen blocks. Your Core is useful, but most of your killing power is probably going to come from your Special choices. An elite infantry block of your choice (both Black Guard and Witch Elves are popular) as well as a robust unit of Cold One Knights (10 models or more) have proven to be really viable and competitive 8th edition combat options.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.