New DE Player Looking for Advice!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Rommel44
Trainee Warrior

New DE Player Looking for Advice!

Post by Rommel44 »

Hey mates! Well after playing my Empire for the longest time, I decided to finally get a 2nd fantasy army and after much thought and deliberation, I decided on going the fabled Dark Elves! Now after buying the Army Book and looking threw it, I have some ideas I wanted to throw to you guys to see what you think, and of course all the help and advice you guys can give me will be much appreciated. To start off, I love the Cold One Models and one of my ideas is that I am considering on running a Cold One "Death Star" unit. The unit will be run as such:

*(10x) Cold Ones:
-w/Full Command, Standard of Slaughter, Ring of Hotek

Now with this unit, I will running my Dreadlord as well as my BSB. MY Dreadlord will be fielded as such:

*Dreadlord:
-w/Deathpiercer, hvy. armor, shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Crown of Command, Pendent of Khaeleth, Cold One

Now as I understand it, this is what you guys call the POK build (what does POK stand for btw), and this set up gives him 4x S6, KB attacks on the charge, and he has 0+ save w/his ward save, and is Stubborn LD10. Now besides this guy, my BSB will be run as such:

-BSB:
-w/Whip of Agony, hvy. armor, Sea Dragon Cloak. Cold One

Has 4x S5 attacks, has a 2+ armor save to start out with thanks to the Sea Dragon cloak. Now with both of these guys in the unit of Cold Ones, they can easily wipe out any unit they charge, especially with the Cauldron of Blood (which I will be taking) giving them +1 attack.

Another idea I had in mind is to run one out of these 2x Horde unit's in my army since most armies I have sen have at least one. The first one is a horde unit of Dark Elf Warriors, which will be run as such:

*(49x) DE Warriors:
-w/Full Command, Shields, Banner of Murder

Now granted it isnt the most effective horde unit we could take, it can still be an effective unit and one of the best parts is that it is relitively cheap to field. And thanks to the Banner of Murder, they will also have armor piercing attacks. With this unit, I plan to run a Lvl. 2 w/a dispel scroll, and I'm most likely considering running the Lore of Darkness w/her, however the Lore of Metal is a close 2nd to help out beef up my Spearmen.

The 2nd horde is one that is more expensive, but sounds like a very flexible but effective unit, which is a horde unit of Repeater-Crossbowmen. I was planning on running them as such:

*(39x) Repeater-Crossbowmen:
-w/Full Command, Shields

Granted it is more expensive, however the prospect of being effective in the shooting as well as the CC phase is just awesome, and since they are in a horde formation, I can get a grand total of 70x shots fired off in one turn, which is just nasty, which can be very useful in any stand-and-shoot reaction. And since they are equipped with shields, these guys can also hold there own in CC, and also get a parry save because of it, which in my opinion is worth the extra point. This unit will also be fielded with the lvl. 2, however besides the dispel scroll, I plan to give her the Guiding Eye, and though its a bit expensive for what it does, it can really come in handy in a tight situation.

These are just some of the ideas I have at the moment and I would appreciate some feedback on them is they are good ideas or not, but until then I am more then willing to listen to you veterans on whats the best way to get started. I am planning on buying the Battalion box set tomorrow, along with a Sorceress model as well as a Dreadlord on a Cold one, but I will be trading the Cosairs for a box set of DE Warriors a friend of mine has since in all honesty, I'm not a fan of the Corsair models, and Ill see where I'm at from there. Anyways, thanks for the help and I cant wait to get started :D !
Last edited by Rommel44 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hi, Rommel44, welcome to D.net! :)

PoK = Pendent of Khaeleth.

Your first unit of COK with lord and BSB is excellent.

Hordes may not be as effective as you think. We're not goblins.
However, a steadfast unit is always apreciated.

What is the rest of the list you consider?
Any "agile" troop (harpies, DR, Shades, Pegasus)?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

If you play a game with 40 XBM, please write a Bat Rep for it.
Rejoice and Revel in the Triumph of the Dark.

Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

looks like an interesting setup but I have a couple of words of caution, firstly, alot of gamers may call cheese on a big Cold one Knight deathstar unit, especially with a PoK Dreadlord (which most people rightly despise :twisted: ) although at only 10 CoK you may be alright. Secondly, there may be a 'too many eggs in one basket' effect here, if you lose this unit, especially early in the game to a fluke shot or something then it will really hurt you, I know because I once fielded a very similar unit with my Dreadlord as general and a Sorceress to boot, they amazingly managed to fail a panic test and then a rally test both on LD10 and ran off the board (although I did still manage to bounce back from that and win, somehow.) Now with the BSB in there as well (I didn't really think I'd need one with my unit what with the general and the hardiness of the unit and all :roll: ) the chances of a similar thing happening to your unit is minute, but you should still watch out for things which negate saves, particularly warmachines and certain magical spells, dwellers below for instance will slaughter a third of that unit in one pop, final transmutation could also be nasty, although the ring of hotek which you've chosen is a good bet for protecting your unit from that sort of attention, but only when close to the enemy spellcaster sadly.

So with those little words of caution out of the way, I have a couple of suggestions for making this list a little better, firstly I believe that your Dreadlord is actually illegal because his magic items cost 110, I expect the problem being the enchanted shield which is listed in the Warhammer rulebook at 5 points but in our army book at 15 and the rulebook says we have to use the armybook price putting your points cost 10 over the limit, I would suggest just plain dropping the enchanted shield as your Dreadlord will still have a 1+ save and combined with the PoK he will be pretty untouchable

Secondly, I may be mistaken on this and torture me if I am wrong but I believe that giving your Dreadlord the Crown of Command in this situation may be almost completely pointless. If your Dreadlord is in a unit, then the LD tests for fleeing from combat are probably going to be taken on the Dreadlord's LD but because the flee test is for the unit as a whole, not the Dreadlord alone, and the stubborn rule given to the Dreadlord is not passed on to his unit, then the Dreadlord will not benefit from being stubborn as he is bound to the unit's flee test and the unit does not gain the Stubborn rule. The crown of command is therefore only really useful for lone characters as the moment they combine with a non-stubborn unit the crown becomes useless, which is why the crown is very popular for the lone dreadlord on dark pegasus but not so much in other situations. Of course, if you intend to charge your dreadlord out alone from his unit to stall enemy units so your cold ones can go after other targets then the crown will come in very handy, but if you don't intend to do this then those points could be better spent elsewhere.

Next this is just a suggestion and will be down to your personal preference but if you drop the enchanted shield then you may want to exchange the Deathpiercer for Crimson Death as this will give you S6 throughout the combat rather than only when you charge, this gives your DL sustained hitting power throughout the rounds and if your unit gets charged, although you do sacrifice KB for this.

Another suggestion is for changing the banners in the unit, I would advise swapping out the standard of slaughter for the banner of Hag Graef, this cold one unit will hit like a tonne of bricks when it charges and I doubt it will gain very much from +D3 combat resolution when it charges, if you haven't racked up enough CR on the charge then you're already in the sort of trouble the standard of slaughter can't really help you with, in contrast the standard of Hag Graef may seem pointless at first glance with our high initiative, but it means you will strike at the same time as other things with ASF like those annoying high-elves, but the banner really shines in granting re-rolls for missed hits, Cold one knights take a big hit in their combat effectiveness in subsequent rounds of combat after charging because not only do they lose the +2S for their lances but also their hatred re-rolls, this never used to be a problem in 7th as cavalry used to just steamroller everything they hit in the first round but in 8th our knights can no longer do this and if they get mired in a protracted combat they find it difficult to make any headway after the first round. The banner of Hag graef helps with this as it grants re-rolls for misses in all rounds of combat as long as you are facing an enemy which doesn't have ASF and has a lower initiative, and Black Guard can tell you just how useful re-rolls in all rounds of combat are.

On the subject of banners if you have points to spare and want to be even more evil then drop the magic equipment from your BSB, give him mundane full armour and a lance instead and then give him the Hydra Banner for another round of extra attacks, combined with the +1 attack from the cauldron this unit (on the charge and in standard 5X2 formation) will then put out a horrifying 26 S6 attacks and then 10 S4 attacks from the Cold Ones. Nasty.

As for the rest of the army, I personally prefer limiting repeater crossbow units to about 20 in size, as only the first two ranks can fire and having a unit much wider than 10 models is very unwieldy, so 10X2 is what I generally find optimal. Having a big horde of them would mean you have plenty of replacements and an extra fighting rank in combat but it will cost a bare minimum 390 points and half of those will not shoot and a quarter will not fight until they act as replacements for casualties, having 100-200 points of models sitting idle for half the game is quite a waste. It may be better to split the unit up into two groups of twenty, that way all 40 models can shoot at once, you can pick two targets and you can guard twice as much area, not to mention your opponent can only target half the models with a big spell or a panic inducing action meant to wipe the unit out of existence. I think having the extra flexibility of two units will benefit you more than the extra survivability and extra fighting rank of one horde. How would you get 70+ shots without forming up 17-18 wide? Of course if you do want to operate a gunline with a really wide RXB unit then a big horde would be a good choice but generally with lots of cold ones you want to play a more aggressive strategy.

A horde of warriors is a good idea, generally mine are around 40 strong, banner of murder is also good choice for them, you might want to drop the shields as the warriors can't get the parry save because they use spears, is +1 armour worth the 50 odd points you will shell out on the shields upgrade?

For other units I think you are badly in need of some fast hunter units, warmachines and mages are a big threat to armies of a small number of large units like your own. Harpies, Dark Riders and shades are good at getting rid of them, I would suggest harpies as they are the fastest (20" fly move) and also cheapest, I find units of 10 work very well. Other than that you could have some witch elves or black guard, maybe even a hydra though a hydra and a CoK deathstar may be a little too much cheese for some gamers to handle, depends on what your opponents are like, but it can be easy enough to polish those units off so beware the ranged game, you want to get your units into combat (bar the RXBs) where they are least vulnerable and do the maximum damage, be aggressive and move forwards fast.

Overall a very fun and interesting setup, I am a big fan of nasty cold-one units myself and your one looks plain terrifying, what sort of points-level game are you planning on playing with this? As the cold-one unit alone will cost in the region of 500-600 I would guess off the top of my head with the characters. My only concern is that it sounds like quite a lot of points is going into characters, but with this sort of army that is not so much of a problem. It is refreshing to see a nasty combat-cavalry unit lead by a dreadlord over the more common Sorceresses and infantry often favoured these days.
Good luck, welcome to the Druchii and hope some of this helps!
Malus.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Hi there,

Get some Harpies :D

As for your BSB build with the Whip of Agony, he can still use a shield with the whip, so dropping the Blood Armour for regular heavy armour and a shield would give him a 1+ save without the BA, and you'll save a whopping 6 points!!

I am all in favour for a horde of crossbowmen, but maybe 40 is too much, 30 might be a more reasonable size for them. You'll save yourself 110 points (just enough for 2 units of Harpies :D )

Don't have time to comment on everything just now, but your ideas are looking good!
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Rommel44
Trainee Warrior

Post by Rommel44 »

Thanks for the replies so far mates, and thanks for pointing out the Enchanted Shield thing with my Dreadlord so Ill edit him, as well as my BSB. As for taking more agile troops, I havent really looked at harpies but I have been considering taking a unit of shades since they have BS5, so I think that a unit of those guys would be worth it, but I will consider taking a unit of Harpies. As for switching out the Crimson Death for the Deathpiercer.... Ill try both out and see what works for my best because granted have S6 every round of combat is awesome, but KB does have its uses, especially against high toughness units so Ill give both a try and see how it goes. And are you sure the Crown of Command doesnt allow the unit with the bearer of this to use his stubborn LD or is it something I just missed, and if so, I already had an idea of running him solo with a Black Dragon or a Dark Pegasus so would this be a better option?

Granted the COK are expensive however, I have seen what a unit of those guys can do on the charge when backed up by the Cauldron of Blood and it is just devestating, however I'm still not too sure about the Hydra banner since only the front rank would benefit from the Hydra Banners extra attack, but would the same be said for the Cauldron? But you do have a good point about the ASF banner, so I will switch it out for the Standard of Slaughter.

As for my Horde unit ideas, I'm leaning towards my Warriors quite a bit due to the fact that is cheap to run and when backed up by a Cauldron of Blood, they can become quite nasty. But I do believe that shields are worth it, because I have a tendency of rolling a lot of 5+ saves when I play my Empire Swordsmen units, so I do believe the shield is worth it. And as for the Repeater-Crossbowmen horde, I have a quick question about them. If they are in a horde formation, in this case 10x4, would the first 3x ranks be able to fire with there entire ranks following the horde special rules, or will they only be able to still fire in 2x ranks only, with the other two using the volley fire rules?

And finally as for other units I was planning on fielding, DR are an interesting choice since they are fast cav and from what I have seen, a lot of DE players had success with them, as well as a unit or 2x of shades for my agil units. For the rest of my army, I'm already planning on running a cheap 19x Warrior unit with no upgrades, and they will be placed with a Lvl. 4 Sorceress w/the Sacrificial Dagger so she can get as many PD as she needs depending on the dice rolls for Winds of Magic, but besides that, I'm still not too sure what I want to run but I am temted to at least get one Hydra, and I heard that running two of them is just nasty. Thanks again for the help so far and keep the advice and ideas coming!
Rommel44
Trainee Warrior

Post by Rommel44 »

OH and FYI mate, I just checked the rulebook about the stubborn rule, and it says : "If a character who is stubborn joins a unit, then that unit will be stubborn as long as he is in there ranks". In other words, my Cold Ones will be a stubborn leadership 10 as long as my Dreadlord stays in the unit, which is just freaking awesome!
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

Rommel44 wrote:OH and FYI mate, I just checked the rulebook about the stubborn rule, and it says : "If a character who is stubborn joins a unit, then that unit will be stubborn as long as he is in there ranks". In other words, my Cold Ones will be a stubborn leadership 10 as long as my Dreadlord stays in the unit, which is just freaking awesome!

fair enough, thanks for checking, in which case the crown is a good bet.

for your question on extra attacks I believe it doesn't matter from where the extra attacks come from, cavalry models making supporting attacks only get a single attack each, those in the front ranks though get all their attacks so the hydra banner will have just the same attack as the cauldron's +1 attack blessing EXCEPT the hydra banner effects mounts, where as the cauldron does not.

As for RXBs, I believe horde formation only affects close combat attacks, it does not affect shooting, shooting remains at firing in two ranks regardless of the formation. RXBs cannot use the volley fire special rule so the only ones which can shoot are those in the first two ranks and that's it, so with a 10X2 unit you'll get 40 shots (assuming you fire multishot) and with a 10X4 unit you will fire 40 shots (again assuming multishot).
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Rommel44
Trainee Warrior

Post by Rommel44 »

Ah thanks for clearing that up mate, however a friend of mine asked an interesting question about them. If I where to use the Cauldron to give the unit Killing Blow, would that mean my crossbow shots would kill enemies outright on a 6 becasue of the killing blow special rule or is that only appliedi n combat? I know its a noob question, but my friend plays WE with a lot of Waywatchers so shes just curious about it.
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

Errrm guys, I was told by my local GW staff that the 'Common' magic items list in the army books is replaced by the main 'Common' magic items list - thereby making the Enchanted shield 5 pts, not 10?
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Rommel44 wrote:Ah thanks for clearing that up mate, however a friend of mine asked an interesting question about them. If I where to use the Cauldron to give the unit Killing Blow, would that mean my crossbow shots would kill enemies outright on a 6 becasue of the killing blow special rule or is that only appliedi n combat? I know its a noob question, but my friend plays WE with a lot of Waywatchers so shes just curious about it.

Don't have my rule book to hand at the moment. But unless specifically stated the KB special rule only works in close combat, I beleive. So, 30 in horde formation in CC would still make a goodly number of kills with the KB option.

Noble Korhedron wrote:Errrm guys, I was told by my local GW staff that the 'Common' magic items list in the army books is replaced by the main 'Common' magic items list - thereby making the Enchanted shield 5 pts, not 10?

Never trust GW store staff where rules questions are concerned - I made that mistake once...

Again, don't have access to my rulebook. I think there is a note at the beginning of the magic items section stating that Army Books take precedence over any items in the Rulebook. So, Enchanted Shield is 15 points for us, and the potion of Strength is still 30... Not sure where this 'note' is precisely, but I am fairly certain it's in the rulebook somewhere.

Someone else may (hopefully) confirm this for me ;)
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

MiniGrift wrote:
Rommel44 wrote:Ah thanks for clearing that up mate, however a friend of mine asked an interesting question about them. If I where to use the Cauldron to give the unit Killing Blow, would that mean my crossbow shots would kill enemies outright on a 6 becasue of the killing blow special rule or is that only appliedi n combat? I know its a noob question, but my friend plays WE with a lot of Waywatchers so shes just curious about it.

Don't have my rule book to hand at the moment. But unless specifically stated the KB special rule only works in close combat, I beleive. So, 30 in horde formation in CC would still make a goodly number of kills with the KB option.

"If a model with the Killing Blow special rule rolls a 6 to wound in close combat he automatically slays his opponent ... Unless otherwise specified, Killing Blow applies only to close combat attacks."

Rulebook page 72, KB is close combat only unless specifically otherwise stated, so no KB RXBs :cry:

Noble Korhedron wrote:Errrm guys, I was told by my local GW staff that the 'Common' magic items list in the army books is replaced by the main 'Common' magic items list - thereby making the Enchanted shield 5 pts, not 10?

Never trust GW store staff where rules questions are concerned - I made that mistake once...

Again, don't have access to my rulebook. I think there is a note at the beginning of the magic items section stating that Army Books take precedence over any items in the Rulebook. So, Enchanted Shield is 15 points for us, and the potion of Strength is still 30... Not sure where this 'note' is precisely, but I am fairly certain it's in the rulebook somewhere.

Someone else may (hopefully) confirm this for me ;)

Rulebook page 500 under 'Selecting magic items': "If a magic item is listed both here and in your Warhammer Armies book, use the points value printed with the latter - some races have lesser or greater access to certain magic items, which is reflected in their points value"

Pretty clear from this that you can use ALL the common magic items in the armybook as well as the rulebook and if there are two of the same you use the points cost from the armybook, if you couldn't use common items from the armybook and they were replaced by the rulebook then they wouldn't have put that sentence in.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

Whtdwrf11
Slave on the Altar

Post by Whtdwrf11 »

MiniGrift is correct under selecting magic items on page 172 if their represented in both we use the points value in our army books.

So that staff member has either read the BRB and missed that completely or has never read the BRB and is handing out false information so I suggest opening the BRB to that exact page and showing them their wrong.

Edit: And I been ninja'd while writing my post.
Last edited by Whtdwrf11 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noble korhedron
Empire General

whtdwrf11 wrote:MiniGrift is correct under selecting magic items on page 172 if their represented in both we use the points value in our army books.

So that staff member has either read the BRB and missed that completely or has never read the BRB and is handing out false information so I suggest opening the BRB to that exact page and showing them their wrong.
I will when I go for a game next. You sure it's page 172? I hate flicking through the BRB - even the mini-version 'cause there's so much crap in it to wade through....
Regards,

NK.

Whtdwrf11
Slave on the Altar

Post by Whtdwrf11 »

Pretty sure it's 172 in the mini verison and in the big one malus has pointed out that it's on page 500.
Rommel44
Trainee Warrior

Post by Rommel44 »

Believe it is page 172 where it goes into magic items, and yes, if you have the same common magic item in your army book a the one in the rulebook, you use the points from the one in the army book.

But as for my army, the thing I have pretty much decided on so far is the COK deathstar unit w/my Dreadlord and BSB for obvious reasons, but besides that I'm still not too sure what I really need to make my list effective from there. I am still considering the 50x man Spearmen horde, but I'm not sure if it would work well with my COK unit, and besides a small unit of 19x Warriors w/zero upgrades to act as my lvl. 4 Sorceress Sacrificial Dagger unit, I havent really thought of anything else.

To go along w/my COK deathstar unit, I have considered taking 2x full units of 20x BG w/FC, and run each unit w/a cheap master and run them in a 7x3 formation to gain more attacks. But from looking around, though BG are great at CC, many people believe that they are to weak to do anything and that executioners are a better investment so would running 2x units of BG be a bit much or should I just bypass them in favor of Executioners?

Hydras are another option I have been considering, and from what I've heard, its better to take 2x of them then one, for one will just get shot to pieces before it can do anything productive, but 2x would go great w/my COK unit since they all can cause a lot of damage when they charge so its defenitly a thought.

As you can see, I'm still debating what would be effective with a COK deathstar unit so if anyone has either run the COK deathstar unit or has any more advice or opinons on what I can do, it is much appreciated.
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Rommel44 wrote:But as for my army, the thing I have pretty much decided on so far is the COK deathstar unit w/my Dreadlord and BSB for obvious reasons, but besides that I'm still not too sure what I really need to make my list effective from there. I am still considering the 50x man Spearmen horde, but I'm not sure if it would work well with my COK unit, and besides a small unit of 19x Warriors w/zero upgrades to act as my lvl. 4 Sorceress Sacrificial Dagger unit, I havent really thought of anything else.
Hmm, I'd say to give them a standard and musician only - just in case they end up in combat through bad luck - and possibly shields?
Regards,

NK.

Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

I'm still wondering at what points level you will be playing at Rommel, a tooled up unit of CoK and large units of Black Guard will require a fairly high points level to have enough allowance for the specials point limit. One thing I often find I have problems with in my Druchii list-building is fitting in enough core units, as our special choices are so awesome, and you will be particularly limited by this if you do not want to take corsairs which are very effective infantry units and IMO our best close-combat core choices in point-for-point effectiveness.

A spearmen horde is a good anchor for a Druchii army, I suggest you give it a try at least once to see how it works out. Executioners in my book are vastly inferior to Black Guard because they have ASL thanks to great weapons, this means a considerable expenditure in points will die before they hit anything in combat, T3 elves with only 5+AS are minced by just about anything, at least your black guard will get a chance to smack some things around with their high I before they get killed, and both units are equally vulnerable at range. Bringing a master with each BG unit is unnecessary I think, and your character cost will be too large, with a Dreadlord and Master BSB as well as the cauldron and a sorceress you already have enormous expenditure in characters. Hydras are good, very good, they are very survivable and I find any opponent struggles to take them out unless fully equipped to deal with them, if your opponent shoots one hydra to pieces then that's shooting not directed at your CoK or Black Guard which is great. Depending on your gaming group, 2 hydras may be frowned upon, the hydra is really evil and I find many people complain about just facing one, I loaned my hydra out to an opponent once for their army, I destroyed their entire army almost without loss with the exception of the hydra, which single-handedly devoured 90% of my army so that I in the end only won by, I'm not kidding you, literally 1 victory point.

At the moment you need to focus on what core units you will use, we can better advise you on this if you let us know what points level you intend to play games at because at 2K you will struggle to fit all those characters and special choices in to a legal army where as at 4K they go in fine, but certainly I think for now you need to look at units of warriors and RXBs, as well as some harpies, shades or dark riders, as you have solid Special and character aspects to your army, but currently you have very little core.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

Rommel44
Trainee Warrior

Post by Rommel44 »

Fair point. I was trying to get enough points to run a 3000 point list since that is the standard at my store, and you have a fair point about my core units, but I was just trying to get my special choices out of the way, as well as maybe running hydras. For my core, I have mainly looked at the Warriors and Crossbows, and though Corsairs are really good, I just am not a fan of there models to be frank :shock:. As for my core, I have considered the 50x Spearmen horde w/2x units of 12x to 14x Repeater-Crossbowmen, or split up the horde unit into 2x units of 30x Spearmen w/Full Command and shields w/2x units of 12x to 14x Repeater-Crossbowmen and maybe some Dark Riders to run around and harasses my opponent and go after War-Machines, Wizards, etc. Oh, and I will be also running a cheap 19x man Warrior unit w/no upgrades that will be attached to my lvl. 4 w/the sacrificial dagger, and i'm planning on giving here either the Lore of Dark Magic or the Lore of Metal.
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

well at 3k you will need 750 points of core minimum, a 50 man spearmen horde (full command and shields) 2 units of 14 Repeater crossbowmen (shields and musician) and 5 dark riders (musician) is around 775 points and onto that you can add the banner of murder and any other upgrades you want on them.

The unit of CoK you are looking at building will be in the region of 370 points and your characters (Dreadlord, Master BSB, Cauldron and Supreme Sorceress) will weigh in at around 920 points which is plenty enough in characters I think, if you particularly wanted then you could squeak in a LV2 sorceress but beyond that I'd leave your characters as is because spending much more than a quarter of your army on characters will leave you short on units. A unit of 20 Black Guard is 295 with a full command, add on a hydra and your list so far will be around 2,500-2,600 so there's still 400-500 points to play with at 3k. From there you can add in some shades, witch elves, harpies, beef up your crossbowmen units... These are the first things that come to mind. You can write up a full army list and post it in the army list section for people to critique if you like which is a good place to move on to after this thread.

As for magic lores, I (and a lot of other DE players) am a very big fan of the Lore of Shadow, the Strength/Toughness hexes along with the pit of shades and Okkam's mindrazor suit us DE down to the ground, you may want to take a look at it, give the different lores a try, the lore of fire is also quite fun to use and from a tactical perspective the lore of death may suit your army quite well as one thing you may be vulnerable to is enemy magic and sniping out mages with death spells is a good way to get rid of your enemy's casters early on.

For a good summary of the magic lores you may want to have a look at this thread: Treatise on Magic Lores

and whilst we're doing links here are a few more:

For a good summary of Druchii units under 8th edition there is this thread: D.R.A.I.C.H. Dark Elves units under 8th edition.

Seeing how the main feature of your army is the cold-one unit a couple of good discussions on cold ones can be found: here and here

and a good resource for any player new to DE is the D.R.A.I.C.H articles who's home thread can be found here

Hope this helps!

Malus.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!