How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Damienhell
Trainee Warrior

10 cold one knight unit

Post by Damienhell »

Hello guys I'm a newb Dark elf
so my question is...
is it a good idea to have a unit of 10 cold one knights?
or is it better to split them up 5-5?
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Hi!

I think it kind of depends on your army size. I used to do 2 units of 5 but have had a lot more success with 10+.
For one thing, you get supporting attacks, which is nice, if you run them in 2 ranks.
Also, they seem to be able to weather the storm of incoming fire for the first turn just that much better.
Finally, they are just a target for the enemy, but can eat up a lot of fire. As a result, I find them getting across the table, along with more of my army. Try putting the 5+ Ward Save on them, then send them right up the middle. This is a very problematic unit for enemies to deal with!~

Later!
~B~
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Try using both? Separately and together?

Dark Elves have tremendous variety in competitive army builds. There is nothing in our book that doesn't work well for the right player. It's just a matter of finding the stuff that works best for you.
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

Units of 5 make the champion vulnerable to being sniped out as he won't get a look-out sire, you need 6 minimum. I have found a unit of 6 does not dish out enough damage to be a real threat to anything other than chaff and is better suited to holding things up due to the 2+ AS. At 10 models with a cauldron you suddenly become able to output a lot more damage and with the Hydra banner can take down just about any unit in the game.
UNSEEN LERKER MAGAZINE - It'll make you happier than a Corsair in a Bretonnian orphanage.
Damienhell
Trainee Warrior

Post by Damienhell »

Ok I got the big picture now :)

but yesterday when I tried to fit them (the new cold one)
I can't get the back rank to fit, because of the longer tail that the new cold one have.
Do I base them wrong? or everybody got this problem too?

Btw instead of Hydra banner, i was thinking of the asf banner to get the reroll.
but than again does the asf reroll stack with hatred? ( i have a hunch its a no-no)
Littleboyblues
Corsair

Post by Littleboyblues »

It does not stack. However you can use your ASF reroll after the first round.
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

In an open tournament, the ASF banner is almost more important to dope slap those stupid high elves running around. Blech.
~B~
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Yea they are hard to rank up. Build them slightly angled in their forward facing and it should be fine. That I discovered after painting and everything. But I use two 5x1 trays so I just have the two trays slightly off alignment so the back ones fit between the two front one's tails. So long as your opponent knows where the front of your base is, should suffice.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Damienhell
Trainee Warrior

Post by Damienhell »

Right-right awesome idea, I guess i will magnetize them and split them in 2 tray.

Yeah when I was thinking about the asf banner I was thinking about those lousy HE too :).

Thx guys for all your idea and help :lol: :D
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

Since 8th edition rules, I think 10-12 CoK unit is one of the most exciting in the whole game!

Check this link out:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67486
Our club's facebook page:
Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville
Look for French tourneys pics galleries!
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

For the best results, a Dreadlord can be added to this unit. Combined, this bus can take on most elite units. The CoK's shred the elites before they strike back, and the Dreadlord removes any troublesome characters. It's a winning combo!
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

I regularly run a unit of 10 CoK with full command. I find that as long as they are maneuvered properly, they are a threat that few things can stand up to properly (or without changing their battle plan).

As for banners; I put a lot of stake into my CoK, and they tend to operate on the flanks, so I am sort of obligated to give them the Gleaming Pennant, which is my insurance policy.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Meteor wrote:Yea they are hard to rank up. Build them slightly angled in their forward facing and it should be fine. That I discovered after painting and everything. But I use two 5x1 trays so I just have the two trays slightly off alignment so the back ones fit between the two front one's tails. So long as your opponent knows where the front of your base is, should suffice.

I do the same thing, and don't have any problems for opponents. I think most people realize that some crazy gamers actually built their armies BEFORE 8th edition required huge unit sizes, and not everyone wants to tear apart their existing models just to make them rank up nicely :D

I have also been running 10+ Cold Ones with Cauldron support in most of my 8th edition games, and they have performed brilliantly every single game. I am continually pleased with the range of targets they can assault and beat with ease, and they're quite hard to counter since they're very resistant to all the game's current mega spells, as well as stone throwers (easy to scatter off them, and only the center hole does real damage) and cannons (as long as you don't present a flank shot, your opponent can rarely kill more than 1 or 2 at a time). Their major ranged vulnerability is the default metal spell, but since metal isn't that popular, it's not a huge issue.

Keep in mind though that you really need the Cauldron to get the greatest effectiveness out of them. Switching between the 5+ Ward and +1 Attack buffs where necessary is important.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Hainzy
Dark Rider

Post by Hainzy »

Hey all!

I've been using the knight bus in pretty much all my games (I usually play 2000 and under). Some times with the back up of the cauldron, sometimes with out. I usually run then with flaming attacks and chuck both my BSB and my general (with the Ring of darkness) in there as well. As I play against alot of Empire, Dwarf and even other Dark Elf players, I find the the Ring of Darkness to be a good investement against shooty armies even though its not really that cheap.

Having Dwarf Crossbows and Empire handgunners hitting on 6's makes sure you get those knights stuck in ASAP!!

I also give the champ the Iron Curse Icon just for that 6+ ward save against warmachines. At 5 pts even if it saves one knight from being squished to a pulp then it's paid for it's self.

Cheers!
H :twisted:
You can take your vamp lord on zombie dragon, 48 graveguard, blackcoach, 3 wraiths, 2 units of dogs and your 3 units of 10 piddly zombies and shove them up your f&$%ing a$$.....

Worst game of warhammer I've ever played.....

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Eolelfslayer
Dark Rider

Post by Eolelfslayer »

Hello, well most non light cavalry units i see nowadays are between 10 and 20, up to and including chaos knights.
I dont think CoK are an exception.
I hold a banner drenched in blood, I urge you to be brave
I lead you to your destiny, I lead you to your grave
Your bones will build my palaces, your eyes will stud my crown
For I am Khaine, the god of war, and I will cut you down.
Damienhell
Trainee Warrior

Post by Damienhell »

oO Sweet-sweet advice
just finished painting my Dreadlord on cold one
after i finished 5 more CoK
will definitly try out that wracking bus of chaos :P
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

I tried one of these units against Skaven yesterday, and they actually performed quite well! I had 12 with Flaming and OTS-Champion (389 pts), and apart from the steep points cost I'm quite satisfied. :) Should probably try to find another few points and give the Champion the Dragon Helm as well, to make the unit even more all-round.
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

Another satisfied customer courtesy of the Cold One Pain Train. :twisted:
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

Last night I saw the terrifying reality of what happens when a 10 strong unit of COK, accompanied by BSB with Hydra banner and a blessing from a cauldron charges a new terrorgeist....big boney goes poof. Very pleased with their performance.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Wolfrahm
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Wolfrahm »

Thats really great Lazarus but you also have to remember the other units that we ususally end up facing with the Cok. Mine is usually chaos knights which usually sux hard for me so I try to use mine to pick on ezier things like you said, terrorghiest, even giants and alot of the monsters esp. in SoM
" Mutilation, dismemberment, pain, torture and misery are a way of life and fun for that matter. Its a way we show affection. Would you like me to show you?" Rhanda Moonchaser, Death Hag
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

The Cold One block is massively underestimated by lots of opponents, and I simply love how versatile it is. It's found a place in all my lists, and am consistently pleased with how well it performs against a variety of opponents.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I took 10 plus Hydra BSB and Unkillable Dreadlord vs. 5 Chaos Knights and Chaos Lord.

The CL challenged, the UD accepted, CL did nothing, UD did one wound. The CK killed one COK, the COK massacred the CK. CL blew his test to hold and I ran him down.

Not bad, for the loss of one COK. :lol:
Rommel44
Trainee Warrior

Post by Rommel44 »

Tethlis wrote:The Cold One block is massively underestimated by lots of opponents, and I simply love how versatile it is. It's found a place in all my lists, and am consistently pleased with how well it performs against a variety of opponents.

i too am planning to field a block of 10x COK's w/my Dreadlord and my BSB in the unit for the extra hitting power and not only does it look awesome, I've seen this unit run over everything it comes across so I'm eager to try it. What else do you take in your army with this unit and has it proven successful? Just wondering because I'm still trying to get my DE army off the ground.
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

Ok, the hydra BSB, was on a CO too? did you have FC on the CoK? if so what banner did they have? and what did you give the CoK Champ?
Thanks
Rejoice and Revel in the Triumph of the Dark.

Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Been a while since that happened, and I run a wide variety of lists, so let me think...

My normal Hydra BSB gets full mundane armor (Heavy, shield, SDC) for a total of a 1+ armor save. A beastmaster's scourge gives him 4 attacks (granted, only S4) with AP, AND allows him to make use of the parry save.

For large units of COK, Hag Graef is where it's at. Being able to strike first and get continuing rerolls against most targets is simply awesone.

I... can't remember for the life of me what I gave the Dreadknight. Since it was a magic-light list, with the Sorceress riding with 10 Medium cav Dark Riders (tried them out for a laugh) way far away, he may have had the Ring of Hotek. Might have taken something else, too, I really don't remember. :oops: