Cry of war

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Flash29
Assassin

Cry of war

Post by Flash29 »

So i've been experimenting with a hellebron list when i came upon this, at first i didn't like it, there are better gifts its just fearcausing in this edition. but then i looked closer. its by 1 not one so its worse or is it. It works on models with immune to psycologie but more imporantly "a unit charged by a model" which would imply if several user would charge the enemy would take several tests?. so making a unit you could have hellebron bsb and hag, al 3 with this cheap gift forcing 3 leadership tests. and give the hag hand of khaine and put her next to hellebron any you can prevent her dieing by asf. but i digress

my wondering would be if the multiple test is legal?
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

I believe that a single unit only needs to take one fear test per phase.
they test for fear, and their resolve has already been tested for the remainder of the phase.
Rejoice and Revel in the Triumph of the Dark.

Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

but thats fear ain't it. this isn't fear. it works on targets that are immune to fear
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Nothing in the description of cry of war says a unit wouldn't test more than once; That part of the plan should work fine.

As to the ASF hag and her girlfriend keeping Hellebron alive, I'm afraid this won't help her much at all. Even with mindrazor and runes of khaine, the unit is unlikely to prevent return attack on Hellebron. And she and her lithe minions would likely have been striking first anyway.

It would possibly help out with a horde of executioners, but that is a lot of points in a single unit. I almost hope you run into a dwellers or final transmutation mage with an eggs-in-one basket build like that.
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

i'd like to note that there is a list to this and its made for a small yearlong tournament dealy where i must take 1 and only 1 special character. I took hellebron with a full khainite army, NO shadow sorcerresses, 50 witch elves and 30 executioners. so i don't think this is as much a power build as a nessesity, trying to protect my general and bsb as much as possible. and return attacks should be a big problem if i'm on a corner of a horde, but hitting on 5's vs 4's from all ws 4 or possibly ws5 troops will make a diffrence.

So its a eggs with 2 baskets aproach, and to be honest if your putting down khainites, then blood must be spilt in great kwantities, also i never mentioned a asf hag, but the risk of her dieing from enemy's with always strike first. if i'm taking a banner i'm going with more attacks, the hydra banner. I'm trying to make these units and characters usable in 8th, where step up are our greatest problem.

I'm also very shocked you'd wish me such a fate, your words of betrayel are noted and sent to the hag queen. Look forward to meeting shadowblade
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

I'm a typical Druchii. I wish you nothing but failure and ignominy so I can gain from your losses. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Seriously though, sorry for assuming you were putting everyone in the smae unit. It (sadly) works well with many armies and missions in 8th edition. It leads to very predictable and boring games where results are often obvious in the first or second turns, when one side has nothing left to deal with his opponent's mega-unit.

The biggest problem you will face with Hellebron (or any khainite character except cauldron hags) is how fragile they are to rank and file troops. If you could manage to get her into a challenge, she will be great, but it's easier said than done if your opponent has half a brain.

I've used her 4 times in 8th and 3 of those times she has died to rank and file. The only time she actually survived a battle was when I hid her at the back of the army as a bodyguard for my lvl4 in the crossbows. Even then, she only barely survived being charged by necropolis knights (only barely being able to fight her way out of combat by killing one. There are very few units she can do this against though, and a great many units that can kill her in two, if not one combat phases.

Since it seems you have to take a special character, she's as good as any I suppose (other than Morathi, who is actually good for her points). I will wish you luck and look forward to seeing how you do. I know how that type of list would do in my local area but I hope the builds you face will be more friendly to her and her troops.