Cold one knights

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Drunkmonkey
Trainee Warrior

Cold one knights

Post by Drunkmonkey »

Hey guys,

I've still yet to playa game of warhammer but I'm about to build my 5cold one knights and was wondering if it's worth giving them a full command?

Anyone got any tips on how kit them out?

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Cold one knights

Post by Rabidnid »

Drunkmonkey wrote:Hey guys,

I've still yet to playa game of warhammer but I'm about to build my 5cold one knights and was wondering if it's worth giving them a full command?

Anyone got any tips on how kit them out?

5 I would just give a musician. If you add a second box then definitely add a champion and standard.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Musicians are great value nowadays, allonig units the chance to reform, then pass a Ld test to move normally. This is very useful for a unit that may get behind the enemy lines. You should build one model as a musician.

Champions are a good utility if you want to chuck a magic item in there for a ditry trick... something like the ring of hotek or killing blow lance. You may want to build one as a champion.

Standard bearers are more of a tricky proposition. There are some great banners that combo well with knights; ASF for rerolls after the first combat phase (sometimes even for the cold ones themselves). Banner of murder for armour piercing on knights and cold ones, ranger std, eternal flame etc. But the price ramps up very quickly and if you flee a combat, the standard bearer is removed as a casualty. In a small unit this can hurt a lot. You probably shouldn't build a standard bearer in your first unit of knights.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

By and large, I run 5 either naked or with a musician. For that few points, they are a basic flanking hammer and potential sacrifice/distraction. The COK themselves bring plenty to the table for that role, and keeping them cheap is manditory.

By the time you get to 10+, the unit becomes a centerpiece unit; a real battleline hammer. You'll want the full command, and probably some magic goodies to beef them up to withstand everything they will need to deal with. This can even include a Master BSB with the Hydra Banner.
Yoshiro
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yoshiro »

Even a compact unit of 5 or 7 can be powered up with the use of the Hydra Banner. With that in the unit, you get a bonus to combat res, to your s6 attacks, and it helps prevent you falling prey to failed Stupid checks.

If you're considering using that unit as a strong hammer in 1500+ points I would advise souping them up as so. And in that case the full command would make good sense.
There is nothing to fear but fear itself...

.... Also, bees.... Swarms of bees...
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

5-6 naked or 10+ FC. how you dress them up depends n your list but Banner of Hag Graef is their best option.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

For a small unit I find the Cauldron blessing much more affordable. Not only can it help out the COK on thier critical charge, it can also help protect a critical unit of out T3 5+ armor save infantry as it tries to cross the board under fire.