On foot BSB Builds

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Wargamer lester
Warrior

On foot BSB Builds

Post by Wargamer lester »

Which do you usually make on foot BSB, a Hag or a Master? I was thinking of getting this model as it suitably fits either. The little armor is enough to pass as a Hag or Master, and the cloak looks like a Sea Dragon Cloak.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: On foot BSB Builds

Post by Rabidnid »

Wargamer Lester wrote:Which do you usually make on foot BSB, a Hag or a Master? I was thinking of getting this model as it suitably fits either. The little armor is enough to pass as a Hag or Master, and the cloak looks like a Sea Dragon Cloak.

I quite like the look of it. As a foot BSB in an infantry unit I would make it a master. Alternately I would replace one of the 3 models guardign a cauldron with it to indicate the CoB is a BSB
"Luck is the residue of design"
Wargamer lester
Warrior

Post by Wargamer lester »

Rabidnid wrote:
Wargamer Lester wrote:Which do you usually make on foot BSB, a Hag or a Master? I was thinking of getting this model as it suitably fits either. The little armor is enough to pass as a Hag or Master, and the cloak looks like a Sea Dragon Cloak.

I quite like the look of it. As a foot BSB in an infantry unit I would make it a master. Alternately I would replace one of the 3 models guardign a cauldron with it to indicate the CoB is a BSB
The model is on preorder at Maelstorm's website, it releases in like a week I think.

Not a bad idea on the Cauldron Crew replace. My brother is scratch building me a Cauldron (I already have a Hag for it) out of a Skaven Bell. I might do that replace thing so I can use it on foot as well.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Yep, unless I'm playing a very big game, I won't have a CoB and BSB at the same time. I just means that you will get a lot of use out of a very nice figure.

My eternal problem is getting all the really cute stuff i have just painted/converted into every game.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Very nice model. 8th edition gives only negative reasons for having Foot elf BSBs in combat units. You could spend all their magic item points on defence, but then you have spent 150pts on +1CR and a few attacks that will die should the unit ever break in comabt. Or you could spend the points on multiple units of disrupters, or a decent shooting unit, or most of a hydra (not in your case), or a bunch of back rankers for your units.

For DE, the hands down, best option is a cauldron BSB who rarely has to get her hands dirty in cc, are largely immune to magic or shooting` and whose cauldron provides far better benefits than any of the banners we can get. Their only real weaknesses are slow speed and vulnerability to the I-based killer spells.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

sulla wrote:cauldron BSB only real weaknesses are slow speed and vulnerability to the I-based killer spells.
and all terrain save hills are impassable. Too bad, the cauldron cannot float a river or hit a tree.
Considering that 8th edition brings more terrain than 7th, that the center of the battlefield is no longer terrain-free, and that nowadays there are rivers with unlimited length which divide the battlefield, this can be very annoying.

Otherwise, I fully concur, the BSB is better given to a COB DH than to a footslogger.
The best alternatives for a BSB seem to be riding a Peggy or a COK.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Nice model, think I have to get me one of thoose for my CoB BSB.

I prefer CoB BSB, with no ekstra magic items. It seems to be the best choice for me atm. Nice 24 inchon the buffs, so the tiny 5 inch movement hasn't "blocked" me yet.

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Hi,

I play non-Khainite and often run a BSB Master on foot, my favourite set up for him is the Armour of Darkness, Dawnstone and a halberd.

Occasionally I run him with a unit of Cold One Knights, in which case his set up is Whip of Agony, Dawnstone and full mundane kit.

So, to answer your question, I usually take my Master BSB on foot!

That model is okay but nothing spectacular. It looks as if it could be used as either a Master or CoB BSB.
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Yoshiro
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yoshiro »

Typically, I always field my BSB with the Hydra Banner and full mundane gear in with a unit of Knights. The knights themselves have the Banner of Hag Graef. This strengthens the unit considerably because an extra attack at s6 is golden.

And yes, you could argue that you could do the same thing with a Cauldron, but bear in mind that you won't always be free to give its blessings to your knights, there might be another unit nearby that needs it more (Though I don't like the Khainite fluff so I never take one anyway).

On top of that, he's still pretty vicious in combat because of the number of attacks he gets in with his lance.
There is nothing to fear but fear itself...

.... Also, bees.... Swarms of bees...