Has anyone tried xbow horde?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Sun-tzu
Corsair

Has anyone tried xbow horde?

Post by Sun-tzu »

I just wanted to see if anyone has tried an xbow horde or discuss the viability of it.

30 or even 40 xbow men with shields musician and banner will eat up a lot of our core choice requirement making a huge block that must be delt with by the enemy.

Ranking up in either double 15 or 20 rows then condensing into three or four rows of 10.

This give an amazing yet short ranged fire base anvil and a decent fighting block 30 attacks with 5+ as and 6+ parry or if boosted by cauldron 40 attacks or 30 kb attacks.

Yes I know this could be done with spearmen for less points but it's the fact that the xbow threat will cause an opponent to position or even move differently?

Just wanted to see what fellow durchii think. Since archer horde for HE is a possibility for them. Yes they do have longer range but we have more shots and better combat ability.
Swab
Cold One Knight

Post by Swab »

I've used this early 8th ed with lore of fire. Its a decent set up, especially with the cauldron providing KB.

The best way to use this unit is to cast Flaming Sword of Rhuin so they get the +1 to wound AND flaming attacks. Also, combine or use LoS to debuff the enemies toughness and you're going to cause damage.

Unfortunately, I don't have the models for this kind of horde and I like being able to split my fire.
Dalamar wrote:RAW, yes. But it's slapworthy.
Laddyn
Trainee Warrior

Post by Laddyn »

Not to mention any other dark elf player with dark magic will love you for an no-shooting thanks to chillwind (assuming it managed to get through ;P)

And like swab said, sometimes you want to split your shooting, to take out multiple light cav units of 5 for example.

So theoraticly it works, in practical use, better to split it up into multiple units.