Is a Witch Elf horde the most awsome thing ever?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

arggg wrote:i tried witch elf themed list with a horde of 60,a unit of 30 and a unit of 20 with hellebron and one assassin in the first and 2 cobs.I played against ogre and the result he conceded in 5th turn without even getting one point and having lost almost everything so i after that i tend to believe tha WE in a horde just rock!
WE are at best against high T (against which poison is great), low Svg armies. Your victory against OK was rather predictable.
It will be nice to see how the WE army behaves against more usual foes.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

Personnally I've started running a Hellborne list with
2x 28 WE Banner/Mus one with murder the other with flame banner
2x COB
1x hag with ASF banner
Lvl 4 with shadow
either 20 Blk Guard full command and 26 warriors full command or
20 Exe with full command and 20 warriors full command
2x Hydra

wards to get you into the fight, mind razor with extra attack running 7 in front is 35 poison str 10 attacks in a stuborn unit. even without mind razor 35 poison attacks AP attacks is brutal... i almost feel sorry for the unit i'm hitting.

played this list against Ogers and Deamon both games over by turn 4 against good players. this is a killer list. I'll be taking it against a tomb king shooters list next week. we'll see how it does against that list...
Daemon of khaine
Warrior

Post by Daemon of khaine »

one advantage Corsairs have over WE is that they can be joined by non-Khainite characters, who'll also benefit from the Frenzy banner
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

great point, so let take a qty 10 small unit size 105 pts (only adding muc)
but WE (2x5) have base 3 poison attacks you get 20 poison attacks base - down side no save and no ap.
Corsairs - same 2x5 formation 15 attacks, no poison, no ap, you of course get a +5 save.

starting adding buff from the COB WE become auto stubborn maybe an extra attack and/or ward but that is a lot of points. add the SSS banner still only one more attack but no stubborn now you have 20 attacks but still no poison, no ap.

So just from a intimidation stand point I love the WE... Corsairs do have their place real small game <1000pts love taking them. In larger games they just seem lost and with our purpose I’ve tried with and without hand bow. it just take too much to do anything with them... just an opinion.
Daemon of khaine
Warrior

Post by Daemon of khaine »

well the simple answer is that WE are superior to Corsairs, with their natural poison, frenzy and stubborn from the Cauldron

the more complicated answer is that it greatly depends on your opponenent and your tactics

for example against Dwarves, Elves and Empire shooting I prefer the 4+ armour save. against Warriors of Chaos and Dwarf infantry, the WE do more wounds and get AP, but the Corsairs will give me more KB wounds. against High Elf spearmen the WE I6 takes away their re-roll to hit, but the Corsairs get an armour save

on characters unable to joing the WE, I do consider this an important factor

for example Frenzy makes it hard at times to stay within 12" of the Cauldron (you can't restrain your overrun move for one thing), so the WE's won't always be Stubborn

Corsairs can be joined by a BSB for the +1 CR, or a character with BDE to reduce some ranks from hordes

a character is also a great help against enemy characters that ignore KB, have a good armour save and can take the Crown of Command (most armies can field such a character). such an enemy hero will slaughter WE's all day long no problem. here a DE character in the unit becomes a huge advantage as he can challenge said character, absorbing attacks and doing some back
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

Yes however the WE crew does have a character option.. the Death Hag BSB i actaully like to run her in a big block of executioners to give them ASF. Now buff with a COB that could be 21 Str 6 KB opportunties... one reason like i like the DE so much is there is so much we can do...

Having said that i would really love to find a reason to run corsairs in larger games god knows i have enough of them.

As i said earlier in a small pts game they are brutal and i have and would take them. we had a league where you started at 750pt and built up points depending on circumstance. in the lower point games Corsairs ruled.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

tmr wrote:Having said that i would really love to find a reason to run corsairs in larger games god knows i have enough of them.

Well, I run a block of 24 corsairs and 24 witches alot lately, and the simple answer to why I use those corsairs is: They are core choice.

If witch elves were core, I might have only fielded 2 units of those instead, but they aren't core (Unless you take a very expensive special char which isn't allowed in any tournaments).

The witch elves ARE superior to the corsairs when it comes to close combat, but there are times where I love having those corsairs instead... especially when skinks and other vermin (Yeah, vermin in my eyes) come with their poisonous shooting, I love having those corsairs taking the hits. Also, the killing blow (as mentioned earlier) is better for the corsairs, as the poison attacks of the witch elves won't be able to do killing blows.

The other reason I like corsairs, is when my block of crossbowmen gets shot down and my sorc suddenly finds herself alone, the witch elves aren't an option for her to join and live on. The corsairs however, can protect her (if they aren't way to far ahead). Also, I can put a quite deadly master in the corsair unit, while I feel the death hag is way to easy to kill together with the witch elves.... not that I field any master without a pegasus these days, but that's because I am a cheezy little bastard
;)
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

All good points... while between leagues I will give this a try. I really like the idea of using them against skinks and vermin :D

thanks