D.R.A.I.C.H. Statistics on our elite troops (updated 6/10)

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

That depends on what kind of attack those are.
extra 5-6 S6 attacks from Execs or Knights mean a lot.
Extra 6-10 attacks on warriors mean very little.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Persuader
Executioner

Post by Persuader »

Dalamar wrote:That depends on what kind of attack those are.
extra 5-6 S6 attacks from Execs or Knights mean a lot.
Extra 6-10 attacks on warriors mean very little.

true

example: 10coks vs 18 Khorne warriors with halberds buffed with an extra attack from the shrine....

when you take the extra 5or6 attacks you'll do some extra wounds but probably will kill models from the second rank (taking away 3 supporting attacks or so)

When you take the ward save you have some extra protection against those shitlaod attacks.

Anyway it all depends on what you get off in the magic phase.
Which combat needs the buff
etc etc
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Just wanted to say excellent work.

Why no CoK? :P.
Also known as Kanadian
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

CoK doesnt really compete with these guys sinc ethey are cavalry, and thus much faster. if you only look at combat prowess they are much much worse (point for point) than elite infantry. their strength is in their speed and durability, and partly in damage/frontage, but not in damage/point
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

To be frank, you probably should never be taking COK into Khorne Warriors with Halberds, no matter how much you buff them. Even if you manage to win, they will rip the heart out of the unit, leaving it easy meat for the next unit.
Persuader
Executioner

Post by Persuader »

I'm not saying that's the best option but sometimes you can't avoid a certain thread so better to charge then be charged...

btw with my natural ability to roll high the ward save really does it for me :p
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

To be frank, you probably should never be taking COK into Khorne Warriors with Halberds, no matter how much you buff them.

Why ever not? CoKs have I6, which means they strike ahead of Chaos Warriors. A unit of 12 CoKs with FC, blessed by the Cauldron with extra attacks will make massively devastate all but the largest units of Chaos Warriors:

19 attacks (13 from the front rank, 6 from the second rank) hitting on 4s = 8.5 hits
Re-rolling for hatred = 4.25 more hits attacks
Wounding on 2s = 10 to 11 wounds, with -3 to save

Very hard to recover from. Especially as he is hitting you on 4s with no hatred and you have a 4+ armour save against his S5 attacks. And remember, once he's done his return attacks, you get another 6 attacks from the Cold Ones themselves...

If you manage to reduce the WS of the Warriors (e.g. shadow magic) or buff the WS of your knights (e.g. metal magic), then you get an even more favourable set of odds:

19 attacks (13 from the front rank, 6 from the second rank) hitting on 4s = just under 13 hits
Re-rolling for hatred = about 3 more hits
Wounding on 2s = 14 to 15 wounds, with -3 to save

Killer.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

Red... wrote:
To be frank, you probably should never be taking COK into Khorne Warriors with Halberds, no matter how much you buff them.

Why ever not? CoKs have I6, which means they strike ahead of Chaos Warriors. A unit of 12 CoKs with FC, blessed by the Cauldron with extra attacks will make massively devastate all but the largest units of Chaos Warriors:

19 attacks (13 from the front rank, 6 from the second rank) hitting on 4s = 8.5 hits
Re-rolling for hatred = 4.25 more hits attacks
Wounding on 2s = 10 to 11 wounds, with -3 to save

Very hard to recover from. Especially as he is hitting you on 4s with no hatred and you have a 4+ armour save against his S5 attacks. And remember, once he's done his return attacks, you get another 6 attacks from the Cold Ones themselves...

If you manage to reduce the WS of the Warriors (e.g. shadow magic) or buff the WS of your knights (e.g. metal magic), then you get an even more favourable set of odds:

19 attacks (13 from the front rank, 6 from the second rank) hitting on 4s = just under 13 hits
Re-rolling for hatred = about 3 more hits
Wounding on 2s = 14 to 15 wounds, with -3 to save

Killer.

12 Cold one can easely face 24 chaos warriors. If you kill 10 (no buff), their's 14 in front of you. Let say in 8 wide, they can strike with 3A each so 31A, 4+, 2+, 4+ save, you loose 6-7. Your 12 are now 5-6 against their 14. They are steadfast, so will stay, on their turn, they kill you. More than 350 pts killed.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

@a18no

Firstly, you would be well advised to buff the Cold One Knights / debuff their enemies, as mentioned in my second example. In that case you would kill 14 to 15 of them with just your knights. You would then kill another 1 with your cold one mounts (4+ to hit, 4+ to wound, 5+ armour save). That means they would be reduced to less than 2 ranks, and lose steadfast. Bang goes that block of roughly 400 points of Chaos Warriors.

Second, Persuader mentions a unit of 18, not 24.

Third:
They are steadfast, so will stay
Even if they maintain steadfast, they are still steadfast on leadership 8, which doesn't guarantee staying by any means.

Fourth: Of course, any analysis of combat potential depends on the circumstances. I personally wouldn't charge a block of 24 Chaos Warriors with 12 Cold One Knights, unless I had the cauldron within 24" and a good chance of getting a good hex/augment spell off. I would, however, charge 12 Knights into a unit of 15 Warriors, even without a Cauldron, as I'm likely to win combat.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman