Repeater Crossbowman - How do you use them?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Your opponent allowing you a 5 level building was very kind

I now refuse to play games with enter-able buildings. If my opponent really wants buildings as terrain pieces, we play with them as impassable terrain. Otherwise - certainly in my experience to date - buildings grossly imbalance the game. The only way I'll play with an enter-able building is if my opponent brings that 100 point magic folding fortress, but even then I'll probably look grumpy!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Dante valentine
Cold One Knight

Post by Dante valentine »

We sometimes use buildings as it makes the game a bit different: hills and trees are fine but not every battle has been fought on fine, rolling landscapes.

In terms of it being 5 floors, if you saw the size of this tower (I suppose a "folly" would be a more accurate description), then you would realize that 22 men shooting from it would not be a difficult task.

D

Edit: i'd just finished making it from balsa wood and other bits, thus the use of it on a battlefield!
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

I don't have an issue with buildings once a capacity limit is in place, 20 models is becoming fairly standard in the UK. After my last game at Throne of Skulls where my opponent put 50 Horros into a building on his first turn, I really hate the current building rules...
"he's got quite an arrogant british air about him that i used to think was really annoying but now it cracks me up.

"Tut, tut old lad! that's not how you play 'the Queen's' Warhammer!"
*takes sip of tea*"

Check out my Youtube bettle reports http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=68253
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Even if it were a level 2 building, 10 models shooting 20 shots per turn, plus S&S every one of his assaults on the building on top of the RXB's resiliance goes a long way.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

50 Horrors sounds like a lot, but they're only horrors, I mean, even our warriors can slaughter them. And that's a lot of points so the rest of the army isn't that big.
By putting 50 Horrors in a building he's losing all the advantages of having 50 (I think 25 is all you need for the strongest spell) which is ranks and horde.. Only 10 models can fight so you might as well keep pestering them with harpies... Or just deal with the rest of the army without being threatened by a 50 horror charge

As for stand and shoot, once they're 1" away you won't be getting continuous Stand and shoots, unless armed with handbows. Usual rules for SnS apply.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Another part of the issue was that there were 3 heralds including a BSB in there, then just 2 small units a Chicken and some Flamers outside. Basically, around 1500pts in the building that I couldn't get out (I killed around half of them with flaming Witch Elves but try just got magic missiled off the board, and because he's Steadfast 9 with a re-roll the amount I won combat by didn't matter at all), and couldn't pin down the Chicken. Very annoying really, on any other table where he couldn't have done that I think I would've won, which would've got me the highest overall score at the event and top Dark Elf. These things happen though.

A case of points denial at it's... finest, shall we say :/
"he's got quite an arrogant british air about him that i used to think was really annoying but now it cracks me up.

*takes sip of tea*"

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Did he face any Skaven?

It sounds like a very nasty army, but not one that can win tournaments.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Not that I'm aware of.

It was pretty mean, with at least +2 power dice and 7 channels a turn he had some pretty awesome magic phases- and I do have to admit, I made some basic errors that cost me. The problem was that because the witches had to back away from the building after each combat, he got another turn to whittle them down- outside of a building he obviously couldn't have done this, and I'd has been able to take his heralds out of the front rank and get some blasted victory points.

But of course, ifs and buts.

*takes sip of tea*"