Alliance Dark Elves / Warriors of Chaos vs. Ogre Kingdoms

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Chrisunit
Slave (off the Altar)

Alliance Dark Elves / Warriors of Chaos vs. Ogre Kingdoms

Post by Chrisunit »

Hi all, this weekend got a match coming.

Since we are with 3 players, we have one alliance between Dark Elves and Warriors of Chaos, both 1500 points, teaming up versus 3000 points of
Ogre Kingdoms.

So, I have to make a 1500 list for this.

I was at first thinking something like this:

Level 4 sorceress, Shadow, Pendant and Darkstar Cloak;
War Hydra;
20 Black Guard, full command, banner of murder;
15 Witch Elves, full command, flame banner;
20 Corsairs, full command, sss banner;
20 Corsairs, full command

May have to tweak some stuff for points....

My initial thought was to have corsairs as core, hoping to get a lot of attacks with Okkam to bust some Ogre heads.

But then a thought came up, thinking my list through.
Normally, I never leave home without my trusty unit of 20 black guard.

But maybe Witch Elves are a better option versus the ogres due to poison?

What would you do?
Skip (with pain in my black heart) the black guard and put in two more units of the witches?
Or can I be so bold, and make it one extra unit of witches and even put in an assassin?

I haven't played with an assassin for quite some time, but I am thinking it could be fun against the ogres...
Kill the tyrant!
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

I would drop the hydra, for OG it's easy point's.
pump up corsairs to 30, 20 will just die to fast.
some harpies for redirecting OG will have a few unit's keeping some of them out of combat is essential for a win.

KB does not work on OG.

A tyrant will smash an assasin, you want a chance at stopping it, you need a pendant, but it will be easier to let him chase harpies all game.
Also known as Kanadian
Chrisunit
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chrisunit »

So you would say no chance at all, even with first striking assassin?

I know KB would not work, I did not mention that.

So redirecting with harpies is a way to go. But how do you do that? Are Ogres frenzied so they have to charge?
Otherwise, planting harpies 1 inch from them, and fleeing?
But when fleeing, harpies are tough to rally.

Another option could be the "unkillable" DL solo.
Will at least hold it up.... what do you reckon?

Thanks for your fast reply!
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

for redirecting -
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=836095#top

the tyrant will have a 4+ ward save, most likely, and 5W means that statistically you will need to do 10 W to it.

Your better off with the sorc, shadow magic just eradicates OG.

If he's in a big unit, just cast mind razor, on corsair's, kill ogres and chase the tyrant.
Also known as Kanadian
Arggg
Shade

Post by Arggg »

But if tyrant player choose thundermace instead of other items it would be easy for a manbane assassin to kill him(i killed very easily a thundermace tyrant with my manbane assassin so that the ogre player decided to take the rockeye in the following games).If you could learn his tyrant equipment you could decide whether to run an assassin or not.I think tha witch elves must be in a big number to work alone against ogres and a CoB could help too whether you choose them or the BG especialy when you deal with ironguts when your elves will fall in great numbers and WATCH OUT dont let him charge you,except the impact hits,ogres have a very nasty banner called dragonhide banner which works only if he charged you and takes effect for one CC phase.The turn he charged if he has this banner he can use a breath weapon of str 3 which makes your troops ASL and he rerolls all 1s for to hit and to wound(very good when you wound on 2+).I used once an antiogre list with hellebron and many many witchelves and a manbane assassin...i completely annihilated the ogres without even losing a point so horde witch elves and generally big numbers of witch elves=not fair.So from me black guard and CoB for the 5+ ward
HATERS<3
http://www.thebrushes.blogspot.com/ - a friend's blog check it :D

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

I would recommend the unkillable pegasus dreadlord as well; a strength of the ogres is their extra punch on the charge, and if you are able to stop them from doing just that, you have really hamstringed their army.

For the BG or WE thing; check out that DRAICH article that broke down both's ability to wound varying opponents. It may help you choose a way to go with the list.
Chrisunit
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chrisunit »

Thanks all for the replies.

First thing I'll do tonight is watch that redirection video Killer linked.

If I can find some time, I will do a battle report of this match.
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

Witches with poison, like you said, are always good. but don't underestimate the executionner. With Str6 you wound on 2+. good unit against their ironguts since you strike at the same time as them.

Be VERY carefull of the mournfang, they hit hard, with a LOT of auto hit attack (impact and stomp).
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

I reckon you need the sac dagger in an alliance since you will probably be duistrusted allies by turn 2. It will benefit you more on half magic dice than the darkstar will.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

don't underestimate the executionner. With Str6 you wound on 2+. good unit against their ironguts since you strike at the same time as them.

They are even better against ogres if you take a Death Hag BSB and give her the Standard of HG, and then support it all with a cauldron. You strike before him (ASL and ASF balance out to let you strike in initiative order, and your I is higher than his) and get a huge number of attacks that hit on 3s and wound on 2s, with -3 AS. That should maul pretty much anything he can send against you.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I would definitely not take Death Hag BSB in executioners against the ogres.

Did you know they can take Maneaters with brace of Hanguns where each one has Sniper and Poisoned Attacks special rule? Two 6s and she's a goner.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Dalamar wrote:I would definitely not take Death Hag BSB in executioners against the ogres.

Did you know they can take Maneaters with brace of Hanguns where each one has Sniper and Poisoned Attacks special rule? Two 6s and she's a goner.

Even if you choose to give the unit a ward save from the cauldron, this will be the case. As much as I like to give it to my assassins, it's not reliable enough.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

The only thing that help the hag, is the ability to give her a 5+ward with khaine gift even if you take the magical BSB.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Most players won't recognise the threat from the Hag until it's too late, in my experience anyway.

The maneater scenario - while valid - is far from guaranteed. You are assuming that a) your opponent takes this combination, b) gets into a position where they can target your death hag, c) actually decides to target your death hag, and d) rolls two sixes. And if the worst comes to the worst and all of the above does happen, you've only lost 150 points, so it's not the end of the world!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Chrisunit
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chrisunit »

I'll let you know soon how it al went.... I expect to have a report ready in a couple of days.