The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Fought 1e battle without dagger and dreadlord built.

Terrible loss vs Woc, cast spell of -3 Leadership and helcannon shot means my important units will flee and die.

What to do against that
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Well make sure you dispel that spell...that's the first step. Keep your BSB central and your Ld10 general nearby. Ld7 tests aren't hard when you keep to those basic steps.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I'm not sure how taking a lone dreadlord on a pegasus or dark steed would have helped prevent that outcome.

It sounds like you either got unlucky or failed to identify that Doom and Darkness was a spell you needed to dispel. If anything, having your dreadlord not off by himself on a pegasus should have improved your chances of passing your leadership tests rather than decreased them (as he would have been more likely to be in range of other units to provide his inspiring leadership).

Either way, it sounds like you lost because of a strategy your opponent used, which you failed to counter. Not because you didn't run a stubborn dreadlord on a dark pegasus or dark steed.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

I have to say my most memorable moment as a Leaguer came well before I joined the league(it still fits into the theme though).

Alamo Indy GT about oh 2 years ago. My ex axe blood armour dragon bane gem lord in a large block of corsairs with asf banner vs orges. He is running the ws 10 -1 to be hit combo on his lord level butcher and his army general.

First game was cast the evil eye (pendaho, its a Texas thing), special rule of the mission is you nominated one model to be the pendaho or he who gets the evil eye. The evil eye makes it so you auto hit that model in combat with who ever cast the evil eye. So for those that got lost my lord auto hits his lord as my lord cast the evil eye on him.

About 4 turns into the game hes charged me on all sides hoping to break me, my lord finally forces his lord to fight him in a challenge, ie killed enough heroes unit champs and what not to get there. Also of note I am running the lore of fire. He informs me that I need 5+s to hit him, I explain that no I don't(he forgot but remembered shortly afterwards) he then ask why I am not rolling to wound. I had cast flaming sword on my unit. In a last ditch effort to save himself he rembers he has the thieving trinket. He rolls a 6 and gets the 4+ ward save.

He makes 2 ward saves of his 4 auto hits, he thinks hes ok, I explain that the weapon does d3 wounds per, I then roll for wounds. Pair of box cars come up. I latter learned that he bemoaned my insanely hot dice. Shrug what can I say, my dice love me.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Your Corsairs had a BSB in it?
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Of course, it was frenzy banner on unit and asf death hag bsb in the block. How else do you ever make the ex axe build work? You cant afford to ever swing last. Just too risky.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

and asf death hag bsb in the block.

This is not allowed mate! Next time use a master BSB, as a hag can only join khainite units(Being executioners and witch elves).
Nec spe, nec metu

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Other way around van Awful: a death hag can join any unit, including khainite ones. Non-khainite heroes cannot join khainite units. Check the wording in your army book.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

No s**t? excuse me generalissimo Rosso... and Geist of course. Ingore my comment in armylist forum aswell then :)
Nec spe, nec metu

Sulphunet
Dark Rider

Post by Sulphunet »

So the only requirement is that I don't use the solo Dreadlord?
Success is measured in blood. Either yours, or your enemy's.

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Yes, there is no other requirement.
You can even use the "unkillable dreadlord" nasty combo... as long as he remains in a unit.
You can play the sac dagger, dual hydras and the like.

Still, besides the requirement, there is a spirit.
The idea is to win by superior tactics, rather than to use autowin tools.
If you play just for the fun, not for the win, you're not in the spirit (that's my case).
If you play WAACKy even without the dreadlord, with double hydra plus dragonlord, well, that's not exactly the spirit either.
If you play a fluffy army (let's say mostly corsair or khainite) and win more often than lose, you'd earned your place in the club.
If you play off-the-beaten-track lists with clever tactics, and win, then you're high in the ideals and more than welcome.
If you play a WAACKy list against similarly WAACKy opponents, then not taking the solo dreadlord is enough a constraint.

See?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}