sorceress how many and what lore

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

van Awful
Highborn

sorceress how many and what lore

Post by van Awful »

So i'm taking on 6500 points of dwarfs. Besides that, we agreed that a top of that, we''ll both bring our king, they won't be taking up any lordpoints and his is slightly more costy then the witchking.(so it's more like 7200) but what the hell....

I haven't played such a massive battle in 8th yet and i'm wondering what to do magicwise.
I was thinking a L4 shadow, Malekith(l4 dark duh)
And 2 l2?! i think that should be enough, shouldn't it ??
i'm leaning towards metal for the both of em, but making sure you got all dark and shadow spells sounds good to.
But i could give the l4 tome of furian adding another shadow spell.
One of the level 2 will ride a peggie to war while the other will have the dagger and be in the frontline with a unit of spearmen.

cheers
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

THe most obvious question is - if you're playing a bigger game, are you still using 2D6 for the Winds of Magic? If you are, a pair of Supreme Sorceress's is all you need.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Against Dwarves at 6.5k don't bother bringing any magic. He can and will shut down your magic phase far too easily. Instead go with no magic (except malekith, as you say you have to take him) and let him burn his points futilely on anti magic characters and items that become useless.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

@ phierlihy that is a good question, i'll bring it up!
Is there only the storms of magic book refering to more dice, or is something in the BRB aswell??

@ red yeah i thought about that, and i can be rest assured that he will at least have an anvil with rune lord (so that's what? at least 3 extra dd) plus probably another runesmith kitted out... but that's it. My opponent knows me to change between, heavy magic, or no magic at all against his dwarfs... so'he doesn't dare taking any chances by not investing in magicdefence But won't go all out on either.
Nec spe, nec metu

van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

But what then? just boost my units with masters and dreadlords even hags maybe? lets say i wont use magic, characterwise i will be down to one dragonlord, one pegmaster, hag with cauldron and a bsb, thats's around a 1000 points. or just leave it at that and invest more in my units? i got one more dragon and a manticore and a bunch of guy's on foot and cold ones to choose from... I'll post my armylist (so far) when i get home
Nec spe, nec metu

Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Try this one - 10-15 BG (enough to survive his shooting until you get into combat), Crimon Death, Banner of Hag Graef. Yes, I know the BG will get no benefit from ASF. The banner is for the Executioner's Axe Dreadlord you'll be putting in there. Give him the Other Trickster's Shard and go hunting for the toughest, hardest thing to kill he fields.

At that point level, I'd give serious thought to maxing out my heros points on Cauldrons (something like 6 or 7), making one the BSB. Against Dwarves, the more units you can cover with a 5+ ward the better.

Don't forget to take many cheap units of Harpies, Shades, and Dark Riders to provide cover for more expensive units behind them.

Also be prepared for a ringer, he could well bring in two HUGE blocks of Scouts and two large blocks of Miners in reserve on top of the ususal gunline. Combine this with a Strollaz BSB (gives every unit near the BSB an 8" Vanguard move) and he can be in your face far faster than you would believe possible for Dwarves.

Combining this with the strength of his shooting, I wouldn't take many RXBs; they won't have targets for long if he doesn't bring much shooting, and if he does they will be severely outgunned.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Red... wrote:Against Dwarves at 6.5k don't bother bringing any magic. He can and will shut down your magic phase far too easily. Instead go with no magic (except malekith, as you say you have to take him) and let him burn his points futilely on anti magic characters and items that become useless.

I have to disagree. You should take one other caster if you have the model for it: a Level 4 with Tome of Furion, Pendant of Khaeleth, Lore of Death, and a Dark Pegasus.

Tome of Furion means she has a very high chance of getting Purple Sun (a 6 or any double will do).

Dark Pegasus lets her get in position to cast the spell to maximum effect.

Pendant of Khaeleth means you shrug off cannon balls and don't care about the hits caused by most miscast effects.

Druchii Sorcery rule lets you roll as many casting dice as you want on the spell, maximizing your chance of getting irresistable force.

You can kill lots of Dwarfs with this setup.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Against Dwarves, use the COB, it's the kind of magic buff he cannot dispel.
A magic-user is still very interesting, but has to be used the underdog way, cause he'll have many, many dispel dice.
The trick is to use most of your dice (or even the full amount but 1) for one very powerful spell.
If it's IF, your other spell won't pass but who cares.
If it's not, then the dwarf has to use many dice against it, leaving your few remaining PD for another spell.

In any case, consider you'll get no more than one useful spell per turn. Don't bother with PoD.
The usefulness of 2 or 3 casters is just to have 2 or 3 different places from which to consider to cast your main spell.

Don't forget, casting 12 dice brings no more than 50% IF or so...
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

@ vulcan, 6 or 7 cauldrons? djeez couldn't do that to my mate! anyway only got the one, (2 would be nice @ 6,5 k) and i don't really want to use counters.
The the DL with executioners axe sounds like a nice plan, but i was thniking about the executionershorde with hagbsb.
I'll have to think on that, thanks!

@calisson and Dyvim, succesfully casting only one, maybe two spells per turn was what i had in mind. and i think with 3 spell casters(malekith a l4 and a l2) this has a chance to succeed.
Dark and shadow seem like a nice combo...Never used metal before and am kinda eager to try it(for the l2?)!
anybody had any succes with it? I like deathmagic, but it's a bit to much aimed at characters for my taste(this time that is)

shrugging of canonballs something i was hoping my dragonlord would do (yeah i know booh... hisss pendant on the dragonlord) i hardly use a dragon anymore and it will be a hell of a firemagnet.
Ring of darkness on the peggiesorc. should work well enough.

Also be prepared for a ringer, he could well bring in two HUGE blocks of Scouts and two large blocks of Miners in reserve on top of the ususal gunline. Combine this with a Strollaz BSB (gives every unit near the BSB an 8" Vanguard move) and he can be in your face far faster than you would believe possible for Dwarves.

This is what i fear, well mostly the huge blocks of scouts and the miners. He pulled that bannerstunt on my once or twice and it's a nasty trick but i think he would rahter get some shots of.
Nec spe, nec metu

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

dh'akor wrote:Dark and shadow seem like a nice combo..
I like deathmagic
Take whichever is the most likely to kill an anvil.
Also, with dwarves character having easy access to immunity to KB, Death is appealing.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Also, with dwarves character having easy access to immunity to KB, Death is appealing.

You have a very good point there...death it will be.
Nec spe, nec metu

van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

We decided on 3d6 for winds on magic. With a max of 15 power dice and the other player gets the highest and the lowest dice!
Sounds okay? Does anyone have any experience with that?

thanks
Nec spe, nec metu

Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I like playing larger games and 3D6 is fine however you are huring yourself more than you know by limiting your power pool to 15 dice. And extra D3 dice really isn't much. Push it up to 3D6 with a max of 18 dice. Against Dwarves I still don't think you'll get a lot of magic through.

At 3D6 power dice I think any more than ten levels of magic will hurt you.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

@ red threw out my sorceresses at the end.
Just invested the rest of my points in a extra dragon lord!
And like you said just leave magic to malekith.
We'll see how it turns out this weekend
Nec spe, nec metu

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Personal experience with a game I played recently using a lv 2 and a level 4 and getting several turns of 12 power dice...you have this.

Who ever you use first (the lv 4 or the lv2) is probably going to use up a good chunk of the power dice, leaving what's left for the other.

Double that for storm of chaos, with any extra wizards simply there so you can have equillebrium or dominance.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Currently one lvl 4 is working very well for me. Also to note, I am trying out dark magic for right now. Fire is brutal, but dark is very useful in ways that are just wrong.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii