Whats the purpose of the Master on Dark Pegi

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mrdark12
Shade

Whats the purpose of the Master on Dark Pegi

Post by Mrdark12 »

This might seem like a rather silly question to most people but whats the purpose of the Master on pegi, I've been playing for awhile not seen many players using a pegi at all (Barring the bret players).
I feel like I am missing a rather important tool in the Druchii arsenal and just wanted to know if its really that important and how to use it?
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

It depends which build you go with. There are 3 more common ones that I can think off off the top of my head:

1. Cloak of Hag Graef + Dawnstone- because he's so hard to pin with shooting, he's very very good at running around picking off small units and war machines which frees up your harpies and shades to do other purposes. He's also no slouch in combat, so he can take on units that don't have very much static combat res, particularly if he gets in their flank.

2. Cloak of Hag Graef + Ring of Hotek- basically, he lands as close to the enemy mages as you can get him without allowing him to get into combat, and then just follows them around for the game.

3. Pendant + Sword of Might/Biting Blade and Dragonhelm- he's also very good at picking off chaff or high strength small units you don't want getting into you. A slightly option is to also make him the BSB, so that he gets a bit more static combat res and the BSB re-roll, so he gets a lot more staying power in combat.
"he's got quite an arrogant british air about him that i used to think was really annoying but now it cracks me up.

"Tut, tut old lad! that's not how you play 'the Queen's' Warhammer!"
*takes sip of tea*"

Check out my Youtube bettle reports http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=68253
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

i use option 1 above (tried op 2, but i wasnt satisfied)

He is ver VERY good in any matchup, though he isnt very cheap.
¤ He is nigh on immortal to shooting and many spells (though not all ofc).
¤ He will kill any warmachine crew with ease.
¤ He can charge in and kill (in time) small units of archers, but more importantly he will keep said archers from shooting.
¤ He can charge weak infantry units, or knights (with low static combat results) and hold them in place for a few rounds.
¤ He an redirect dangerous enemy units (he takes the charge but survives (god willing) and flees (hopefully far enough due to swiftstride).
¤ He can charge and put some wounds on enemy chariots. they arent steadfast and could very well flee from the first round.
¤ He can charge already fleeing units to chase them off the board or at least away from the battle.

and much more :D

He is basically a "super harpy". I really do not want to play without him (though it is perfectly doable).
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Option 4 can be quite good - master with whip of agony, cloak of hag graef, heavy armour, shield - that's a 2+ save with the strength of all non close combat attacks halved. He also gets 4 attacks at WS6, S5 with AP, with hatred. Makes him a bit more melee powered.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Mrdark12
Shade

Post by Mrdark12 »

For option 1 would it be worth giving him a great weapon for the higher S in combat, as the lance only lasts for round of combat.
And I have never used Harpies, don't like the models and can't afford them.

But they all sound fairly useful, I'll have to try to use them, thanks alot guys.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Red... wrote:Option 4 can be quite good - master with whip of agony, cloak of hag graef, heavy armour, shield - that's a 2+ save with the strength of all non close combat attacks halved. He also gets 4 attacks at WS6, S5 with AP, with hatred. Makes him a bit more melee powered.

Just be careful abuot KB and such... Especially from Wood Elves. Forgot that one round, and down he went :lol:
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

MrDark12 wrote:For option 1 would it be worth giving him a great weapon for the higher S in combat, as the lance only lasts for round of combat.

I'd say not. With no static combat res he doesn't really want to be fighting protracted combats, and the great weapon also reduces his combat save to a 3+ re-rollable instead of a 2+. I think he's better off sticking to combats he can win in a single phase.
"he's got quite an arrogant british air about him that i used to think was really annoying but now it cracks me up.

*takes sip of tea*"

Mrdark12
Shade

Post by Mrdark12 »

Yeah I thought so, I just thought I'd suggest it, just to cover all bases. But what about the lack of a ward save, most characters I've seen have a ward, is it worth trying to give him if I intend him to fly around killing off war machines or supporting unit charges?
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Well, the best ward save you can give him would be a 4+- which is worse than his current armour save against cannons. Anything that ignores armour is a bit of a worry for him, for example Bolt Throwers, but they're much less common than they used to be. Killing Blow can also ruin his day, but it's not something that you'll get caught out by as it's not a very common hidden option.

Essentially, there are a few things that the ward save would be much better against, but against the vast majority of stuff the armour + re-roll is better. However, this is why the Pendant chap has the edge- he has a 1+ armour save, and against almost anything that bypasses that he'll often have the equivalent of a 2+ ward.

*takes sip of tea*"

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The joy of the model is he typically costs 190 points (or thereabouts), so even if he does suffer an unpleasant mishap (e.g. shot to death by goblin bolt throwers...oh the shame :() it's not going to be a game changer in itself. It'll sting a little, but you can recover easily enough. That sort of thing happens only rarely, and given his utility otherwise, he's definitely worth the investment.

Of course, the Pendant master is one of the best, he's also one of the most....sorry, I fell asleep there....dull characters you can field. Be a true dark elf and field a character who's not quite so....sorry, slipped off again. *yawn*
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Mrdark12
Shade

Post by Mrdark12 »

XD I assume your not a huge fan of the Pendant Lord then Red
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Yeah, but it's not enough for him to just not be a fan of it, he has to make sure everyone else knows he doesn't like it.

*takes sip of tea*"

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

MrDark12 wrote:XD I assume your not a huge fan of the Pendant Lord then Red
Here is the answer:
Red...'s signature wrote:Giving the Pendant of Khaeleth to a combat character is like using training wheels on a bike: Yes, you'll never fall over, but it requires no skill and doesn't impress anyone.

Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Lol, thanks Calisson :)

tmarichards - it's a comments forum, that's what I do - comment. Tactics from my perspective are not purely defined by effectiveness, but also challenge level, playmanship/chivalry, and general fun value. I do apologise if this comes off as preachy though :)

Don't be a munchkin?

Mrdark12
Shade

Post by Mrdark12 »

I personally thought it was funny, unfortunately most of those things are diminished by one of my friends "Win at all costs" play style, I can't have a 'fun' list if I want a reasonable chance to win
Lostshadow
Dark Rider

Post by Lostshadow »

I dont know if anyone has mentioned it, but if a master rides a dark pegasus he now has 3 wounds.

A dark pegasus has 3 wounds
It is a monsterous cavalry model
Read the rules for monsterous cavalry as they use the highest wounds avaliable and it even says sometimes this will give the model more wounds than the rider has, so if the rider has 2 and the monsterous cavalry has 3, the model now has 3 wounds.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

lostshadow wrote:I dont know if anyone has mentioned it, but if a master rides a dark pegasus he now has 3 wounds.

Yes, this is one of the reasons fielding the master on a pegasus is almost a bit better than having a dreadlord on it. Although, a lord will be more protected by magic items, you get the same amount of wounds for less points.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10