Army Help

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Hangman101
Slave (off the Altar)

Army Help

Post by Hangman101 »

Hi,

I am still learning the game properly. I just wanted to know, do all my units need a musician and standard bearers? I kind of know the rules for them but don't understand the full benefits.

Many Thanks
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

No unit must have a command group but it is beneficial for many. It heavily depends on the unit and setup, as well as playstyle.

For example a unit of Repeater crossbow men will welcome a musician, but rarely benefit from a banner. Unless you have a specific setup in mind, they are likely to be used with "just a musician".

Likewise, some small untis don't always take a command group, except perhaps the musician. Small units tend to flee more often or be used to divert the enemy.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Hangman101
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Hangman101 »

that's great thank you. what is the benefit os a musician? is it because the unit can do a quick reform?

thanks
Taijushue
Cold One Knight

Post by Taijushue »

quick reforms and +1 to rally attempts
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Musicians are must-have for
- units which can move and shoot, cause they need the muso to turn towards the flanks or rear AND shoot (RXB)
- units which flee often, cause the +1 to rally has a very high benefit for the cost (DR, small RHB corsair),
- units which fight, cause sometimes the fight comes to a draw and the +1 makes a real difference (all large units) - however, stubborn units may beg to disagree and can behave well even without muso (BG, Execs & WE close to a COB), the muso is still useful though
- narrow units which have to babysit shy characters who wish to remain on the 2nd rank, cause the command group goes in front with a priority over characters (example: conga line with musician, the character remains behind the muso).

For small units (5 to 10) which expect to die in melee and which cost is so low that you don't care much if they don't rally, don't take a musician.

-=-=-

The standard bearer is less useful.
It gives +1 in melee, and sometimes it is an absolute necessity because of the scenario (fortitude pts).
Sometimes, it can carry a magical standard (all except RXB & DR).
On the other hand, it is auto-destroyed if the unit flees the melee (resulting in one more casualty) and gives back victory points.

DR usually don't take it, except for the fortitude scenario, where they just avoid combat.
RXBmen usually don't need it.
Other large units usually take one, and more often than not it is a magical one.
Small units (5 to 10) usually take no pennant, except DR (see above) and COK (10 is not small for them).

-=-=-

Let's talk about the champion, finally.
One more attack (or better BS) is too little a benefit for the cost (except COK and Execs).
The main advantage is to be able to challenge, sacrificing himself for the benefit of the Lord or the group.
Some may carry magic items (COK, BG, WE).
If the magic item is really useful, take the champ.
If the unit has to babysit a character, take the champ.
If the unit is small, usually don't take the champ.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I typically run full command on my RXBs. But then, I run blocks of 20 with shields. Once the battles start forming up and the number of targets for crossbow fire drops, I reform them into a combat block and send them in on a flank.

Works wonders so long as you're not foolish enough to get in with something really nasty...
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

Do remember though that occasionally banners are a lot more important, IE The Blood and Glory Scenario. You need banners in virtually every unit to play that particular scenario.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Ataroth wrote:Do remember though that occasionally banners are a lot more important, IE The Blood and Glory Scenario. You need banners in virtually every unit to play that particular scenario.

No, not really. You just need to preserve the banners you have. Expendable units without banners are still perfectly viable.

At 2000 points, if you have a single unit with a banner and a BSB, along with the mandatory general you have four fortitude points, which you could quite easily keep back out of the way to protect. Then send waves of other units - with or without banners, it doesn't matter overmuch because so long as that one unit lives you are fine - to take out THEIR units with banners.

And Death snipe their general and BSB.