New player building an army

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Scorpionfly
Slave on the Altar

New player building an army

Post by Scorpionfly »

I just started in this hobby and I chose dark elves because of their cool appearance.

At the moment I have 1 sorceress, 1 bolt thrower, and 26 spearmen. I am planning to purchase 16 crossbowmen.

I am looking for advice on what to add to my small army as a new player with no experience.

If it helps, my main oppenent plays as dwarfs.

Thank you.
Doug
Warrior

Post by Doug »

If you can afford it I would buy the battalion box set, that will give you a real good start.
Douglas
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hi, scorpionfly, welcome to D.net!

26 spearmen, full command, shields or no shield to your taste.
That's perfect as sorceress babysitter. Especially if she wields a sacrificial dagger.

However, spearmen are not known for their efficiency against Dwarves. You need something that can kill stuff.
A good way would be to absorb shooting with many bodies, and get into melee with boosted attacks.
For that, a large corsair unit, with SSS, boosted with Shadow magic and a Cauldron, will be highly efficient.
In the battalion, you'll find some corsairs, and the RXBmen you're planning to buy.

Also, Dwarfs have many warmachines. You need to hunt them. This is done with harpies (they struggle against dwarfs, but as long as they struggle, the crew cannot shoot), or DR, or Shades, or a Pegasus Master.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Scorpionfly
Slave on the Altar

Post by Scorpionfly »

This is my current army. Does anyone have any tips for what else I need, my main opponent is still Dwarves and he has just started a Vampire Count army

Dreadlord
Sorceress
26 Spearmen
14 rxb men
23 corsairs
6 cold one knights
7 shades
2 repeater bolt throwers

Thanks x
Romark
Trainee Warrior

Post by Romark »

War Hydra's are always fun. What size do you play? 1.5k? 2.5k?
Scorpionfly
Slave on the Altar

Post by Scorpionfly »

We play however many points I can make at the moment while I am still building my army, last time was 1750 points.
Romark
Trainee Warrior

Post by Romark »

I'd definitly consider a Hydra then. And if your friends allow it, purely for trying things out, get representing. I represtented Guards and Executioners for a while before I decided I prefer BG. It's alright looking at the stats to see what you prefer, but nothing beats play testing them.