How do you like your Dark riders

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Flash29
Assassin

How do you like your Dark riders

Post by Flash29 »

So I've come in the possesion of some wood elf steeds, and I have enough bits to make some darkriders now. So I've been thinking how to kit them out. Do i use them "vannila" with a musican, or give the shields and a musician, or...? Their roll is to be first turn cannonfodder, and the rest of the battle they can hunt warmachines, or possibly assassinate characters as I run a cauldron (and 6 st4 attacks is pretty good ).

their cannonfodder deal is because i run a dreadlord who has the ring of hotek and i need to have some heat of my character the first turn. I use to run 5 or 6 cold ones with banner of swiftness but left that behind.

So my question is do i give the limited advantages of fast cavalry up for a slight increase in protection (and points). Since i won't vanguard. and i don't shoot. But i do lose the ability to free reform after the character leaves.

what do you think, shields or no? any command preferences (musician in no shield dark riders?)
The griefbringer
Cold One Knight

Post by The griefbringer »

I run groups of 5, no shields, RxBs, with Musician.

Shields gives them a slightly better save but at the cost of all the other things that make Dark Riders worthwhile. If you want cavalry, take CoKs. I mean, unless you're going for a themed list where you absolutely don't want any infantry, I don't really find shielded DRs to be all that worth it.

Of course, now that I'm thinking about it, a group of 15 would run you about 270-ish points and would make an excellent flanking group to support infantry. That might be worth it, depending on your list. I do think, though, there are other, more useful units that could do the same job. Those units, though, aren't Core.
"Since men love at their own pleasure and fear at the pleasure of the prince, a wise prince should build his foundation upon that which belongs to him, not upon that which belogs to others."

--Machiavelli

Raiding Tally: 173 Slaves, 15 Banners
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

well i'd prefer them over cold one knights for the boost in speed and drop in price (10 points per model) as their function would be a hunting unit, not a big combat unit. they also arn't subject to stupidity, which can always fail. and they have a better protection against lore of metal signature which i seem to face allot.(not really protection, more lack of which makes them less vulnerable.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

5 DR no shields musician seems to be the most preferred choice.

Some like them with RXB, with the ability to double-move AND shoot. Excellent to hunt down lone mages if any. But that comes at a very high price per shot, so don't take them for replacement of much cheaper RXBmen or more accurate Shades.

Some like them with no RXB, because of the lack of decent target for 5 overcosted RXB. The other uses are warmachine hunters, flee-and-rally baiters, and scavengers to hunt down the small remnants of larger units denying the victory points by their mere existence.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}