spearmen vs corsairs 1500pt

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Skullshatter
Slave (off the Altar)

spearmen vs corsairs 1500pt

Post by Skullshatter »

playing in a 1500pt store tourny next weekend and i'm undecided whether spearmen or corsairs should be used. it's a 16 man tourny so i will be playing all oposition.
at the moment the list looks like this but the details aren't there yet.

sorc l4 shadow/death

buffed out master

2x10 crossbowmen

spearmen/corsairs

2x5 harpies

5 cold one knights

HYDRA!!!

so basically should i take spearmen, if so how many and thier formation, or corsairs, with which banner and what formation ect.
when all else fails, send in the hydra(s)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Corsair's strength is the number of attacks, while spearmen strength is the low cost. Corsairs for the offense, spears for the defense. See what you lack most.

Corsairs are always to be taken with the SSS banner and FC.
They are used in 7 wide formation against buses.
Every bonus is multiplied by the number of attacks. The bonus is that they dish out many attacks if flanked or reared.

They are said to be worth their salt in hordes with the Repeater HandBow.

Some like small harassing units of 10 corsairs, muso, RHB.

Spearmen, on the other hand, should be taken 5 wide, in order to max out the rank bonus. Any killing they achieve is a nice bonus, not something you should count upon.
They nicely babysit the sorceress, especially if she takes the dagger.
The preferred setting includes pennant bearer with Ld banner in order to increase the general's Ld. FC is so cheap that it is an autotake.
Shields are optional. It gives no parry bonus. Especially if you intend to sacrify a few, better not increase their cost.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}