New combat calculator

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

Hi there Daeron,

I was just looking through your "another comparison" chart, and there seems to be something wrong.

You state that the troops are in a 7 wide formation (which limits executioners to max 14 attacks), but both your graph and text indicated that 14+ kills for the executioners are a posibility.

Its an interesting chart, so as LordDrittz states, it could be interesting to see a chart for spears, corsairs and WEs, BGs and Exes.
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

It seems that you have giving the Executioners 2 supporting ranks (for a total of 21 attacks) while only giving WEs and corsairs a single supporting rank.
For comparison purposes that seems a bit of a shame.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Scyloc wrote:You state that the troops are in a 7 wide formation (which limits executioners to max 14 attacks), but both your graph and text indicated that 14+ kills for the executioners are a posibility.

I counted 15 attacks for the executioners. I included champions in the calculations. However, I did erroneously mentioned they have little chance of scoring 16 kills. While true... they have no chance of scoring 16 kills at all :)

The executioner's odds:
http://warhammer.orderoftheathanor.eu/C ... 4:1:4:1:15

The Witch Elves:
http://warhammer.orderoftheathanor.eu/C ... 5:0:4:1:29

I could add Black guards to the graph but my point in this topic isn't to compare the performance of each unit (this could be the subject of another topic?)...

Rather I tried to demonstrate the added value of my calculator :P
This is shown by explaining the impact of variance. In the given example, average kill scores between executioner and witch elf are quite similar: it differs only by 0.4 kills (I assume one unit managed to dismember a foe in addition).
However, they achieve that average score in quite a different way. My calculator shows this. The witch elves have a better potential to do more kills, at the risk of doing less. The executioners are more likely to score their "average" or something very close to it.

I tossed in corsairs simply to show that number of attacks isn't the only criteria, but that it also depends on your chance to score a skill per attack. The closer that chance to 50%, the bigger the variance... or the less reliable your average becomes. The bigger the number of attacks, the bigger the variance and the less reliable that average becomes.

Another comparison wouldn't demonstrate this effect as cleanly as these. But perhaps... people wish to see more comparisons between units in another topic.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze