can not beat 2000 points all skink army

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Skullshatter
Slave (off the Altar)

can not beat 2000 points all skink army

Post by Skullshatter »

i know that it sound silly but i cannot beat an army that is almost entirely toughness 2 but i'm not ashamed because no one at the store can either. literally no one. atleast 15 people have played him, 1-3 times each, and he has won every game.
i don't know his army list exactly but it's pretty much like this

1 stegadon with a wizard ontop
skink wizard lv2
atleast 100 skink skirmishers w/ poisonous blowpipes in units of about 10
3 or 4 units of 10 chameleon skinks (skinks with scout special rule)
4 salamanders (these things are dirty with a breath weapon, which can be used more than once, that's s3 -3as

thats about it.

his tactics are simple but deadly he marches forward with the skinks shoots your units to smitherines then next turn he moves behind you and shoots you some more ect.
he uses his salamanders to get rid off high as guys like cok.
his stegadon is pretty useless though getting blown away magic/hench combat units. ie a hydra chariot combo.
thanks for your respones guys.
when all else fails, send in the hydra(s)
Tomcowlin
Executioner

Post by Tomcowlin »

What's in your list? Knowing it would help a lot since we have no idea which models you own.

Although as a general tip, your harpies work very well in combat vs skinks and he'll have trouble standing and shooting them as well (being charged, long range, skirmishers and possible cover should put a stop to poisoning). You may want to advance with the harpies hidden behind your units.

Overall just deal with the salamanders quickly however you can and push forward with your units. They can either flee your charge or die in combat, and them fleeing saves you a turn of shooting and there's only so far they can go.
Member of The Channel 4 News Team - We're kind of big deals

Follow me on Twitter @tomcowlin
Skullshatter
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Skullshatter »

i have got enough of most models except black guard and executioners. i have none of these and i don't intend to get any. other than that your free to use anything in the army book
when all else fails, send in the hydra(s)
Tomcowlin
Executioner

Post by Tomcowlin »

What's in the list you're currently using?

Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Harpies deal with skinks well as mentioned above, and DRs charging salamanders should kill them.

Lifetaker is handy against chameleons.

I suggest using a peg master with cloak of hag graef and dawnstone. He will be able to run around basicly untouched, killing a unit per turn.

Dark Magic on a level 4 is the way to go, fire on a secondary mage if you have it.

Chariots will work well unless he gets really lucky with poison (though you still have a 3+ save).

Stay away from expensive elite infantry, they arent worth it against this army.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Flying master, Supreme Sorceress with dark magic, Harpies, Dark riders and Shades should take care of this. Since all of the above should be included in all lists, there shouldnt be a problem :D

You can try to use you infantry blocks to charge skinks if they can see. he will either stand and shoot or flee. then you charge with harpies and run him down. if he does not flee, you kill him. if he does flee, the harpies can reach him (usually). no one gets hurt, and every one is happy (well, the SKINKS will get hurt, but who cares? :twisted: )

Try not to let your units get too separated. any stragglers will be killed by the skinks.
Tomcowlin
Executioner

Post by Tomcowlin »

I really wouldn't tailor your army to fight against another specific race

Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

thats precisely my point. You should never leave home without a flying master, harpies, shades and DRs (and i much prefer dark magic too). Hence you have all the tools in your toolbox, and its just a matter of how you use them :)
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

Cold One Knights are also worth a shot in small units as the Skinks Poison doesn't get past a 2+ AS very easily.

Pegasus Master and Dreadlord also as Lord Tsunami mentioned.

Harpies also but if they get hit they die.
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
10 : 1 : 4 7th Ed Codex
Colonel
Black Guard

Post by Colonel »

Note that scouts deployed in your own deployment zone CAN charge first turn. With luck.. if he drops chameleon skinks near your deployment zone you can drop shades where they will have a charge first turn.
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

He's trying to counter the attack we make vs I if we're using the Shadow that can remove his Steg in one good cast lol While trying to counter with Heavens- Awesome.

Limited experience, but remove the Sala's then overrun into the nearest unit. ALWAYS keep his guys tied up or flanked. If you can get close to them, they can't fire at you which is just awesome too.

Recall one thing about Skinks: They don't have the AS their Lizzie brothers have- just the higher I. If he wants to play a high I, shooty army? Trust me- the Druchii can ALWAYS out do him. lol
Oderint dum Metuant.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

What Lord Tsunami said.

You might not go to the extent of having all those unit types in your list (you should however), but if not, you should have multiple of the ones you take.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued