Lv 4 and Level 2, what to do?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

cyberhawk94
Slave on the Altar

Lv 4 and Level 2, what to do?

Post by cyberhawk94 »

Ive recently gotten into the Dark Elves from my Lizardmen, and am loving this army.

Coming from the Slann, I place a lot of focus on the magic phase, and am wondering how to build mine. Doing research I know I want Shadow for Withering, Miasma, and Occams mainly, and then either Dark or Fire as Damage/Supporting Buffs (WoP/FSoR). Plus Horror on a Enfeebled Unit is hilarious.

With a Lv 4 and a Lv 2, one using Sacraficial Dagger and the other with Tome of Furion, which should have which Lore, and which should have which Item?

I was thinking 4 with shadow for the high cast values, but not sure on item since one helps her cast and the other helps her get the needed spells.

2 with dagger means it can 1 dice dark, and reliably get Cage off with fire (if she gets it), but only 2 spells in that lore is not many.
Fallenturtle
Shade

Re: Lv 4 and Level 2, what to do?

Post by Fallenturtle »

If your set on using shadow, I would make that on the level 4. it's better to run dark on the level 2 as the spells are so low to cast your more reliably going to get them off.

I run death/metal on my level 4/level 2(with tome) personally and I'm finding in this era of monster mash it's working wonders.
cyberhawk94
Slave on the Altar

Post by cyberhawk94 »

Im so used to running support magic with my Light Slann, Shadow will fit my playstyle perfectly. Whenever I try to use death it seems to just be a waste of 450 points
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

I also run Death4+Metal2 and for me this works great. Would like to play Shadow sometimes too, but around here we use the ETC comp so Shadow is limited to a maximum of four dice when casting, and this is simply not enough to make it viable.
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

I can understand that. Personally I also love Shadow Magic...especially since it often allows me to control enemy magic phases as well (remains in play spells).
I'd indeed go for Shadow on the level 4 with the Dagger; that makes it just a bit easier to cast everything..and 4 spells often gives you enough of the spells you really want.

As for the lvl 2; Dark or Fire can be good...but if you want to try something else...try Death on your lvl 2...
Tome of Furion is certainly usefull for Dark...it gives you better chance to get Drain or Horror. but if you go either for Fire or Death, you could take a Dispell Scroll instead.

My advice try all of these setups atleast once.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
cyberhawk94
Slave on the Altar

Post by cyberhawk94 »

Definitely going to keep the Level 4 with Dagger then, and I guess Ill have to play a Dark2 and a Fire2 to see which I like better. I know how great Death is, there is unfortunately something about it that makes me not like to use it. Maybe its that my main opponents are HE, WE, Skaven, and WoC, or maybe its just learned hatred of Purple Sun with my Init 1 army haha

Thanks for the help guys!
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

I will admit that i rarely use Death myseld.
I only use it regularly when playing against HE. Maybe has something to do with the fact that i fear their magic phase more then any other race. ;-) Especially with their old amry book.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Death has a short casting range and needs mobility to make it effective. That is probably why you don't like the Slann mage with death. Being stuck in a unit of temple guard doesn't help. But, death is reliable with dark elves. You can give it to a lev2 on a peg with tome and pendant and you've got a reliable sniper that gains a wound from the peg. Often, that is my only spell caster. However, adding a sac dagger sorceress limits the mobility as she is stuck in a unit of spearmen. So, keep that in mind. Shadow works well for me when I go that route.

The potency of DE magic reminds me of spinal tap's famous quote: "ours go to 11".
Cobra
Corsair

Post by Cobra »

I actually like dark magic on my lev 4 with the sac dagger because you can fairly reliably cast all of those spells with one dice where metal or shadow you are rolling more dice anyhow the +4 to cast and sac dagger arnt helping you as much as they are with dark magic. Thats what I use anyway level 4 dark and level 2 metal or shadow with a scroll. If I take 2 magic users.
Kal
Slave on the Altar

Post by Kal »

How would you guys kit your lvl 4 and 2 out in a list to make them have some survivability but not eat all ure points? And would the lvl 4 also be your general or do u take a Dread Lord still? Im new to DE so jw
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Kal wrote:How would you guys kit your lvl 4 and 2 out in a list to make them have some survivability but not eat all ure points? And would the lvl 4 also be your general or do u take a Dread Lord still? Im new to DE so jw

Mine are currently:

Lvl4 Death, MR(3), Lifetaker, Sacrificial Dagger
Lvl2 Metal, Dispel scroll

Weight in at 500 pts, which is quite a lot. You can possibly drop the Lifetaker to save some points, but IMO it is a very undercosted item that most often is able to kill enough to justify the points.
Cobra
Corsair

Post by Cobra »

Kal wrote:How would you guys kit your lvl 4 and 2 out in a list to make them have some survivability but not eat all ure points? And would the lvl 4 also be your general or do u take a Dread Lord still? Im new to DE so jw

That depends on how much points you have to work with at 2500 I take the unkillable dreadlord for my general. If playing at lower points where you cant afford both I will usually give my lev4 the pendant of khaleth. You can give your level 2 a ward save from the basic rule book but I usually dont worry about it.

for me lev 4 - sacrificial dagger, pendant of khaleth
lev 2 - dispel scroll and maybe the lifetaker if the points are there (usually this is the mages with my RxB)
Kal
Slave on the Altar

Post by Kal »

Hmm ty guys. Ive wanted to try two casters but didnt know how to kit them. Gonna try it out!