Sisters of Slaughter tactics / best match-ups etc

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

No Saves
Warrior

Sisters of Slaughter tactics / best match-ups etc

Post by No Saves »

Okay, so we know the rules and points for the Sisters. ASF, WS6, S3 T3, 2A, 4++ (in combat only), one enemy unit loses parry and rank bonus, if enemy has higher weapon skill or strength then the Sisters get plus 1 to hit and wound. 15 points each.

What do you make of them? What are their best match-ups? They're wasted against chaff and weak core troops. They do well against anything S4 T3 with low armour (does such a unit exist?) . They seem like they'll also be great against tough monsters as their ward save gets to shine, and they will always wound on a 5+. They are pretty good against things like chaos warriors.

I love elite infantry and I love the models, so I'm looking forward to trying out Sisters!
Scyloc
Noble

Re: Sisters of Slaughter tacticss / best match-ups etc

Post by Scyloc »

Their Big drawback is not having Any way to penetrate armor.

IF The sisters were S4 AP, they would have been interesting.
Thori
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Thori »

Do they have poison rule ?
In my view we already have normal Witches to destroy less armored troops. Dark elves cost now more than before and each DE infantery block/horde needs to play a specific role.
These sista is not a good choice comparing with other rare: Kraken or Warlock.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

They sound to me to be very specific. They might work perfectly against a WS<6 S4+ T3 no save enemy hitting on 2+ wounding on 3+ both with re-rolls (in case of the to wound only the 1's). This will give a lot of wounds with 2A/model but I guess I'd rather have WE which do about the same but then for 4/5th of the cost and being core. Also, the enemy will like to shoot/magic/hit them with whatever unit they have which is no good matchup for them. Most armies will have a major combat unit which will make the SoS shiver.
The only use for them I can come up with right now is the ability to remove the opponent's rank bonus and thereby adding +3 CR. They should then kill enough to make the kills the enemy makes on them not count. All in all, you would be paying 150 points (as you would want them to survive for at least a single combat round, <10 is risky then including the wounds they will suffer before the combat) to get +3 CR and some wounds. This can be done more efficiently with a hero on a pegasus; you have higher mobility, can therefore more reliably charge the flank/rear of an enemy, will most probably kill more of the enemy than the enemy will of you and can punch through armour. My guess is that I'd prefer a pegasushero over the SoS any day.
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
No Saves
Warrior

Post by No Saves »

I've messed around with a few numbers and while I don't have anything concrete yet the Sisters look to be very interesting. Against Chaos Warriors, for example, they are comparable to White Lions or Sword masters, but with the resilience of Phoenix Guard. Against mark of nurgle Warriors, they still hit on 3+ rerollable.

Against anything T6, they basically have S5 (they even wound the Frost Phoenix on 5s despite being s2). And against anything S6, they effectively have 1+ armour. They're really interesting.
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

Without having the book yet, but from looking at the comments posted here, I think the sisters are very versatile indeed.

1) They make excellent Flankers... loads of attach...and even 1 Sister in flank will removed Rank Bonusses
2) We have a very resillient unit in Close Combat....Tehy will just as easily take on a horde of Great Weapon wielders as a horde of normal handweapons.we now have a unit that can stand toe to toe with the Phoenix Guard...and make it a total Bloody Massacre.
(2 rerollable attacks VS 1; Str 3 vs S4) both have a 4++ ward in combat.)
3) This is a unit that can just as easily take on huge monsters as they can normal troops.

Sure they have a few weaknesses
- No protection vs shooting......well...as far as I know...hardly any of our troops (save corsairs) have any good protection vs shooting
- Someone said they are unable to take AP banner....that would be a shame...but these lovely ladies make good recipients of alsmost every spell in the lores we can now use.
(Beasts +1S/+1T comes to mind)

All this for only a few points more then Withc Elves...but you will have lost twice as many Witch Elves for every sister you take. (not counting on CoB this time)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Slappy666
Trainee Warrior

Post by Slappy666 »

Im not sure of the sistas full rules ??? But they have a 6+ armor save from there shields ?? Does the shield add its parry save to the 4+ ward or is it a parry save aswell ? Plus do whips count as -1 to armour save any more (beastmaster scourge) ???

Just looking for verifacation ? on there rules.
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

The way i see them, they'd be an amazing flanking unit to a unit of Wyches.

The best possible scenario would be ;

Monster (Kardassian') - Wyches - SoS

Wyches charge, Monster and SoS flank.

The few time that would work, it would be bloody awesome.
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

No Saves wrote:I've messed around with a few numbers and while I don't have anything concrete yet the Sisters look to be very interesting. Against Chaos Warriors, for example, they are comparable to White Lions or Sword masters, but with the resilience of Phoenix Guard. Against mark of nurgle Warriors, they still hit on 3+ rerollable.

Against anything T6, they basically have S5 (they even wound the Frost Phoenix on 5s despite being s2). And against anything S6, they effectively have 1+ armour. They're really interesting.

This. 12 with Razor Standard will grind out a unit of 18 Nurgle Warriors with halberds. That's amazing.

The one weakness is the lack of ranged protection. But that's cool. Either add a character in with some MR, or stick a unit of Warlocks in front of them.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

They sound like they were meant to take down hammer units with high strength but moderate to lose defenses.

If that's the case, they might do rather well against Dwarfs or ogres.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Slappy666
Trainee Warrior

Post by Slappy666 »

Again im guessing but from what ive heard....... it sounds like they have a 4+ parry save in which case they would suck against monsters or monsterous infantry (orgres) because they wouldnt get the save against stomp or thunderstomp ...... also impact hits ??? Correct ? Also Dwarf warriors/ rangers would eat them alive cause my guess is that there rule matches against the models characteristic Str or WS not the boost from the weapon so DW would hit with strength five but have 3 str profile ????

If thats correct Orgres would be a counter against them not vice versa ?
Trax
Assassin

Post by Trax »

You'd still hit Ogres an 2+/2+ and wound them on 4+, so I guess it depends on their unit strength. A good alpha strike might solve some problems.
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

Trax wrote:You'd still hit Ogres an 2+/2+ and wound them on 4+, so I guess it depends on their unit strength. A good alpha strike might solve some problems.

Were just pondering, but . . . 40 Sisters of Slaughter Horde with a Cauldron and Witchbrew?

I know it is 905 points but still . . . I would want to see that in play sometime.

My Hobby Thread

Stats since I started playing again in 2013
W/L/D
Total: 16/21/1
vs. Demons: 0/2/0
vs. Dwarfs: 1/2/0
vs. Empire: 2/4/0
vs. High Elves: 0/4/0
vs. Lizardmen: 3/0/0
vs. Orcs & Goblins: 3/0/1
vs. Ogres: 1/0/0
vs. Skaven: 4/4/0
vs. Tomb Kings: 0/1/0
vs. Warriors of Chaos: 0/3/0
vs. Wood Elves: 2/1/0
Trax
Assassin

Post by Trax »

This will certainly hurt, but since you will not even get the 5++ but rather 6++ vs shooting attacks, that's way too much points in way too few soft wounds imho. Sounds like fun against armies with next to no shooting, though^^

But, Liquid, you might answer the above question, too: Is it a parry save, the 4++ of the Sisters?
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

Trax wrote:This will certainly hurt, but since you will not even get the 5++ but rather 6++ vs shooting attacks, that's way too much points in way too few soft wounds imho. Sounds like fun against armies with next to no shooting, though^^

But, Liquid, you might answer the above question, too: Is it a parry save, the 4++ of the Sisters?

straight 4++ in close combat

My Hobby Thread

Stats since I started playing again in 2013
W/L/D
Total: 16/21/1
vs. Demons: 0/2/0
vs. Dwarfs: 1/2/0
vs. Empire: 2/4/0
vs. High Elves: 0/4/0
vs. Lizardmen: 3/0/0
vs. Orcs & Goblins: 3/0/1
vs. Ogres: 1/0/0
vs. Skaven: 4/4/0
vs. Tomb Kings: 0/1/0
vs. Warriors of Chaos: 0/3/0
vs. Wood Elves: 2/1/0
Trax
Assassin

Post by Trax »

That's nice, I can see a (not-so?)niche role as monster hunters for them, would have been really tough without a parry save when the kill doesn't work in one go.
Shadoer
Dark Rider

Post by Shadoer »

You know, if you gathered a unit of 24 together, threw in a BSB with armor, and then threw on the Warbanner on the Sisters own banner you'd end up with a static combat resolution of 5+. It would be super expensive, but it would make them a ridiculously tough nut to crack and have a pretty good chance of breaking most enemies in combat.
There is no such thing of defeat, just the postponement of victory.
Trax
Assassin

Post by Trax »

If you can reliably shield it from *all and any* magic and shooting, that could work pretty well actually. If.
Shadoer
Dark Rider

Post by Shadoer »

Trax wrote:If you can reliably shield it from *all and any* magic and shooting, that could work pretty well actually. If.

Well magic can be done with a Ring of Hotek on the BSB... the shooting is a bit more of a problem, especially mortars that could wipe out the unit in a couple of good hits.

I guess our best bet screening and artillery hunting from Dark Riders & Warlocks, combined with Sorceresses from the Lore of Life which can up their toughness and bring guys back.
There is no such thing of defeat, just the postponement of victory.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Deploying them on a deep flank away from enemy shooting is also an option though it will keep them out of action until late game (which can be a good thing)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

Having put a lot of thought into this unit, i finally came up with a personal use for these Sisters.

I realized that they are our best troop for a character bunker.

Imagine 12 sisters + champ and warbanner joined by 2 tough pegasus masters (when/if needed)

5 wide, the front rank is 2x 1+ 4++ T4 pegasus characters + 1 4++ champ. It will be very difficult for the opposition to generate combat res against that front rank.

They loose all rank bonus due to sisters ability, and we have kills + 3 ranks + 1 banner + 1 war banner (+ 1 charge). Due to the tough nature of our pegasus characters, we will most likely generate more kills than received.

1-4 kills
3 SCR
1 war banner

We win by 5-8 SCR against most units. I have often broken units like Huge Savage Orc BigUnn busses like this. And the sisters make this tactic much better due to denying the enemy rank bonus.

Another thing to contemplate is to "buff" the # of Sisters by a Bloodwrack Shrine for instance. The shrine counts as 15 models, and at 175 the shrine is actually cheaper than 15 x15 for the sisters. Add to that a tough character on pegasus, and suddenly your 12 sisters (joined by shrine and pegasus character) is 31 "models" big with 6 ranks for taking away steadfast.

Now of course, this isnt something we would necesarrily do from the start, but its a very nice option to keep in mind, when you allready have the pegasus characters/shrine in your army for other reasons. In a pinch, you can create this hard to beat unit.
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

In a pinch any sisters unit joined by a bloodwrack shrine to buff up numbers, would have a solid chance of winning any combat due to 4++ ward save and T6 on shrine.

15 Sisters w War Banner + Bloodwrack shrine, will count as 30 models (6 ranks), and will be very difficult to win over by combat resolution. So the enemy unit will often face a breaktest with a minimum of minus 2-3, and the sisters have enough ranks to break most units steadfast.

Of course, any models that will tear up the Bloodwrack Shrine in CC, will counter this strategy.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

The thing that separates them is their 4+ ward. They can eat a cavalry charge better than many, however, getting wounds through armor is tough.
The ability to ignore half of all damage is very very cool. The problem I see is that you have to get them into combat, and like everyone else has said, they fill a roll that's already filled.
Lore of beasts makes them terrifying though... WS6 S4 T4 with a 4+ ward. Very hard to kill.
Going up to T5 with lore of life is also fun. What they have that nothing else does is the ability to take fewer casualties.

I think this unit will be best used alongside lore of life to become tougher and regrow models. A killy tarpit! That can be usefull. Even as few as 15-20 models would be an effective tarpit.

One thing I can't swallow though... No poison and no frenzy. What?! 15 points per for none of that? Not even stubborn? Immune to psychology? Nothing???
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
Trax
Assassin

Post by Trax »

But buffing their strength means practically give up on your +1 to hit/wound bonus which they get somewhat semi-reliably. I'd rather buff their T only. Even with S4 you will put hardly a dent in any armor, might as well take their intrinsic wounding bonus. And with WS6, T5, 4++ and no ranks for your opponent (whilst being killy against everything but heavy army) makes one hell of an anvil.
Gerner
Noble

Post by Gerner »

Scyloc wrote:Imagine 12 sisters + champ and warbanner joined by 2 tough pegasus masters (when/if needed)

5 wide, the front rank is 2x 1+ 4++ T4 pegasus characters + 1 4++ champ. It will be very difficult for the opposition to generate combat res against that front rank.

I think I am missing something..
The peg masters have a 50x50 foot print, right? And the Sisters have a 20x20 foot print?
If yes the foot print collide and the peg masters are pushed to the sides.

And I somewhat disagree - but in CC is the only place they can stand up. Hitting them on 4+, (lets not talking about wounding) and then saving half of them on 4++. The most important thing most be to get them into flanks and rears, and some how protect them from shooting.