Old noob and the ''End Times''.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Old noob and the ''End Times''.

Post by Kurl-soulrender »

Hey guys! I have been inactive on the forum for quite a while and I haven't been keeping up with the news for Warhammer since the 7th and very early 8th edition. While browsing the forum I saw some rumours(?) about a 9th edition and The End Times merging the different armies together as one army. Can someone please clarify this for me? Is this only for The End Times campaign kind of like Storm of Chaos campaign did it, or is there any proof that the different armies will be merged in a 9th edition to come?
Browsing the web myself didn't help much. I hope I posted this in the right board, it's been a while - the site is all re-designed and new.

Mod's edit:
Moved to the End Times.
Calisson
-JK.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Old noob and the ''End Times''.

Post by Amboadine »

There is currently no definite proof that anything will change for 9th, or even when 9th will be.
Just rumour and speculation. Myself I think we will likely retain individual feel of each army, purely due to the model range. However I am sure we will have rules to ally or some type of supplements.
Bigboar
Dark Rider

Post by Bigboar »

It's only rumors but I refuse to think that ET it's a normal campaign, and 9th edition will be set few years before ET events like nothing happened with all characters back at their place...

That said if 9th will take place atfer ET some armies lack a minimun number of named characters, let's look at Bretonnia: they have no named characters valid (SPOILER:the only survivor is the green Knight but need a different miniature) and for sure there will be more killed/MIA in the next ET book(s) (I also suspect god like character will be modified or removed).

So I expect both a merged armies with shared characters (A king for all humans, and the "x" shared named characters...) with a big number of available units OR they will create a huge number of new character and related minis. I would like the latter, but It seems very unlikely.
Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Post by Kurl-soulrender »

Amboadine wrote:There is currently no definite proof that anything will change for 9th, or even when 9th will be.
Just rumour and speculation. Myself I think we will likely retain individual feel of each army, purely due to the model range. However I am sure we will have rules to ally or some type of supplements.

I really hope this will be true. The ally-rules have been introduced before if I'm not mistaking, with different levels of trust between the races/armies which is a fun option for special games - a real merge would be a whole other story though... and I'm not sure I would like it.

_____
Thanks for the answers guys. And sorry for posting the thread on a wrong board.
-JK.
Teowulff
Warrior

Post by Teowulff »

Whatever GW is going to do, I just can't imagine that they first let people buy units from different armies, just to make them useless in the next book.

So my guess is that the 9th edition will have an abundance of rules for composing a combined army - but will also let people stilll play individual armies. Probably combining armies will have some penalties and using just one army will have some advantages - to compensate for your inability to pick the best units of 3 army books.
This way it's still viable to have an extensive army book (and sell boxes) for each race (and not making 70% of all the units redundant) while also offering ways to continue making use of your ET elf units.

I can't really imagine another approach without seriously p*ssing off your playerbase.