Dreadlord on Foot

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Curse_Bearer
Shade

Dreadlord on Foot

Post by Curse_Bearer »

First off, I understand that this will not be an optimal build, especially in the fastcav/flying meta that we are all in nowadays, but I don't care about that for these purposes.

What are your opinions on having a Dreadlord on Foot? Equipment and unit consideration? What makes the best defensive/offensive set up for his/her bunker?

If you know your opponent doesn't have shooting, Sisters of Slaughter would be very fun choice. Are sword and board elves the cheapest and easiest solution? Should a Dreadlord be put into Darkshards (maybe with an assassin for shenanigans) to make the opponent come to him? What about Witch Elves?! With a 1+ re-roll able armour those potential D6 S3 hits aren't too scary.

Please share your thoughts on this soft choice! :D
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Dreadlord on Foot

Post by Phierlihy »

I've never seen one on foot before unless he was wielding the Executioner's Axe from previous books. It's such a poor option, I don't expect anyone is going to have much of any real-world experience to offer. I can offer lots of hypotheticals based on what I read in the book but you can probably do that just as easily as I can. Sorry...I can't really help except to tell you what you already know - it's a very non-optimal build.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Yeah, with the new rules there's very little reason to field a DL on foot. Being mounted for the extra +1 armor save and mobility is just way too useful for a character whose sole purpose is to get into combat and kill (whatever thing my line troops are going to have trouble dealing with).
General Kael
Shade

Post by General Kael »

I am trying one right now on foot. My witches are lacking in high strength attacks to punch through armor. I spent 4 rounds of combat with skull crushers and didn't do a single wound!

So I put a dreadlord on foot with the giantblade, dawnstone, and dragonhelm in the unit to help. He has a 1+ rerollable and a 6+ ward from the cauldron, so the witch elves can attack him all they want :D

I haven't had a good chance to test it out yet, only one game and I was charged by two daemon princes of nurgle! He was very tough, and survived a few rounds before being run down. So I will keep testing, but I think it help mitigate one of the weaknesses of the unit.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Giant Blade + Dawnstone + Other Tricksters Shard is a good build for a foot unit.

Specially in a unit of Witch Elves. Or with a Wood Elf High Mage in a unit of SoS for wound counters.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

You've fielded such build on foot? How'd it do?
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Me? No I haven't.

I've just read the battle reports of people who have.

Dark Reaper, who posts his batreps on this forum, has used the foot GB/Dawnstone Lord in a unit of CoB Witches.

Lord Tremendous' nemesis (whose name escapes me atm) has used it vs him in a unit of SoS.

Also can be seen in other online battle reports and tournament lists.

I'd generally prefer the flexibility of the mounted variant, but if you are setting up a list to infantry grind it's a powerful choice, especially with the increased regen bunker powers available through Alarielle and WE Spellweavers.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Death Holy Death -- for those who know about him, used to field one on foot. Giant blade, dawnstone, OTS with full mundane supported by either a life mage or a shadow mage with black amulet. Routinely took out lord tremendous' demon prince.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

So thats the build he uses, always wondered what it was. Will need to try it myself now ;P
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Well, Death used to also bring a few RBT's so he often didn't have to take out the big tzeetch DP. And Lord T., to his credit, often took rather fluffy lists. But, even fluffy lists under the command of a good player will do well.

I remember one report where he smoke and mirrored with his SS to get his dreadlord on foot into the fight. Very clever.
Curse_Bearer
Shade

Post by Curse_Bearer »

The Death Holy Death v. Lord Tremendous rivalry is what got me into watching battle reports on youtube :D

Giant blade, Dawnstone, OTS, full mundane is the kit I have used in the past and it works well. Only playing two games with it, once putting her in Execs which was overkill, but fun and fluffy, and the other time putting her in Sisters who promptly got dreaded 13th'd off the table :P
I really want to put her in a cauldron witch horde for some laughs, but I imagine that unit will be fled from and redirected by everything under the sun.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

If you're letting witches fight skullcrushers your problem is maneuver control and need more chaff. You want your EXECUTIONERS to fight the skullcrushers, not the Witches.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

LOL poor lord tremendous... Ya that's hilariously true.
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

I think it s a bit sad, that dreadlords on foot or in chariots have no more real uses. Like phierlily said the executionersaxe was the last reason to use a footlorD.And even only once Against skilled oponents.

Dont really See myself trying them. In 8th edition especially since the 8th ed.druchiibook i try to minimise characters to a bsb and a lord and that will always be a level 4, or a dragon/manticore/peg-lord... Okay or malus.
And if i really Wanted to boost an infAntry unit in bigger games Id rather use a hero if i had points to spare.
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Kerupto
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kerupto »

marcopollo wrote:Death Holy Death -- for those who know about him, used to field one on foot. Giant blade, dawnstone, OTS with full mundane supported by either a life mage or a shadow mage with black amulet. Routinely took out lord tremendous' demon prince.

Yep I got that build from Death Holy Death, Dreadlord w Giant blade, dawnstone, OTS, great character killer. However I think Helebron is even more deadly, with a life mage buffing to keep her alive.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

A local tournament player used to field a lord in a unit of spears with the 7th ed book. I imagine there must still be uses for that lord in the new book. In a way, they have become better. But back in 7th, Fast Cavalry wasn't an option.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze