help making a broken o/p list!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dark elf warlord
Slave (off the Altar)

help making a broken o/p list!

Post by Dark elf warlord »

hey all. i will be doing an escalation league at out local gaming club and i they are all really gamie op players. i was looking for some help about what kinda list i should be looking to end up with. there armys are woc, doc, and norse a non official army book.(he wanted to do and we just said yeah no problem)

like i said two of these guys are really gamie play to win. they always take the most nasty lists possible. i have been playing for a little while now and have a half decent understanding of the game :). so if you guys could help i would love that. and if you can explain why something is good that would be great.

i seen this list on a post further now or something close to this list and was wounded why it is good and what other alternatives are out there.

1000pts

master - hand bow, dark steed, heavy armour.
master - hand bow, dark steed, heavy armour.
noble - bsb, elven steed, heavy armour, shield, banner of the world dragon

dark riders x5 repeater crossbow, shield
glade riders x7 arcane bodkins

sisters of the thorn x11 musician, standard bearer.

948 pts 52 left to play with

not sure why or how you would play this?

what else is out there for the elven races building a op list

thanks in advance
Dark elves
Tomb kings
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: help making a broken o/p list!

Post by Thraundil »

I assume you are allowed to play a host of the eternity king list by your opponents? :)

In general, the power units in our book are as follows around the 1k points.

Lords: Wait with these until higher point levels. But once you there: lvl 4 with lore of death on a mount. Alternatively dark magic works nicely also but especially warriors of chaos live and die by their heroes, and if you can snipe them with death they will cry. Also, dreadlords on dark pegasus are brutal.

Heroes: Masters on dark pegasus. They get +1T, +1W and Fly, and 2 S4 attacks + a stomp for only 50 points. A straight up steal. Get them 1+ armor and cloak of twilight / 4+ ward save. These are the only heroes you should bother with ;) though at lower points, masters on steed are OK as well. The issue is: they are 30 points cheaper (160 vs ~190 points with full items) but have alot worse stats compared to pegasi. At low points, a wood elf hero with the Hail of Doom Arrow can be huge, too.

Core: Dark Riders baby! These guys are so fast, your opponent will never catch them in close combat unless you want them to. Redirect, doubleflee, march block, hunt war machines, shoot enemy flak. Dark Riders got it all. Alternatively, use glade riders. Dont even bother with ellyrian reavers. For static units, go for glade guard with trueflight or poison arrows.

Special: Reaper Bolt Throwers. Not much else interesting, maybe some shades.

Rare: Forget about sisters of the thorn. Use as many warlocks as you can possible stuff into your list. Im not even kidding. They are so ridiculously good. Also waywatchers!

My dream list at 1k points would probably be a pegasus master general with the cloak of twilight, pegasus master BSB with talisman of preservation and a charmed shield. 2x6 dark riders with crossbows + shields + mus or glade riders with trueflight or poison arrows to fill out core. A single RBT and then warlocks for the rest. When the points increase the first things you add are more RBTs and a lvl 4, then more pegasi.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Dark elf warlord
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dark elf warlord »

Hi Thraundil,

thanks for the advice. so I've listed what you have said and it looks like this :)

HEROS

Master - dark pegasus, heavy armour, cloak of twilight. 174 points
Master - dark pegasus, heavy armour, bsb, shield, talisman of preservation, charmed shield 201 points

CORE

Dark Riders x5 - shield, repeater crossbow. 100pts

SPECIAL

Reaper Bolt Thrower - 70 pts.

Rare
Doomfire warlocks x 5 - 125pts

995 points 5 left to spend?

also where does the 1+ of the pegs come from?

So my take on how this list plays forgive me if I'm wrong or better still correct me :P

master with cloak of twilight flys around and charges whatever he like?
master bsb does the same?

dark riders can be used as redirectors, war machine hunters.

doomfire warlock cast the spells.

is the idea to keep out of combat?

the woc players list at 750 points is one skull crusher this is aloud until 1000 points as the idea is to build the army up so we are aloud to take less than the required unit size until 1000 points, he has a hero on a chariot, and a further 2 chariots and a chimera i think it is. all have a great armour save. and hero is pretty damn hard.
i don't want to list tailor tho i want a all around solid army :)
thanks
Dark elves
Tomb kings
TheSupremePatriarch
Executioner

Post by TheSupremePatriarch »

Dark elf warlord wrote:Hi Thraundil,

thanks for the advice. so I've listed what you have said and it looks like this :)

HEROS

Master - dark pegasus, heavy armour, cloak of twilight. 174 points
Master - dark pegasus, heavy armour, bsb, shield, talisman of preservation, charmed shield 201 points

CORE

SPECIAL

Reaper Bolt Thrower - 70 pts.

Rare

995 points 5 left to spend?

also where does the 1+ of the pegs come from?

So my take on how this list plays forgive me if I'm wrong or better still correct me :P

master with cloak of twilight flys around and charges whatever he like?
master bsb does the same?

dark riders can be used as redirectors, war machine hunters.

doomfire warlock cast the spells.

is the idea to keep out of combat?

the woc players list at 750 points is one skull crusher this is aloud until 1000 points as the idea is to build the army up so we are aloud to take less than the required unit size until 1000 points, he has a hero on a chariot, and a further 2 chariots and a chimera i think it is. all have a great armour save. and hero is pretty damn hard.
i don't want to list tailor tho i want a all around solid army :)
thanks

The 1+ comes from giving them the sea dragon cloak - mounted 6+, heavy armour makes it 4+, shield 3+, cloak 1+. Also you'll want to give your PegMasters a lance for +2 strength when they charge.

If I were you drop a unit of Dark Riders and throw in som Darkshards for support and to defend RBT. Other than that, looks like a solid list in my opinion - I've always been a fan of lots of fast cav units running around.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Yep. 1+ is from the full armor options we have available :) and lances for sure. S6 on the charge means that chariot armour vanishes :twisted:

The most important thing about the two pegasus masters is: keep them working together. And dont charge them into the lame unkillable chaos heroes with the 3+ wards and the reroll 1's. Your army can choose its own combats seeing as its pure movement 9 / fly. Which means you should only ever charge if you're all-but-guaranteed to win the combat. Not necessarily in the first round, but dont ever charge stuff you cant kill is the main point ;)

I'd keep the 3x5 dark riders. Investing a unit of darkshards to protect a single RBT just seems like 'meh'.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Maybe combine two of DR units into one. Having a decent size threat is good, and they don't get in the way of one another when they shoot. Making that one block rather lethal.