Joining the Dark Kin

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Riddick
Slave on the Altar

Joining the Dark Kin

Post by Riddick »

Hello everyone, im looking at starting a dark elf army and thought i'd come here for some advice ;)

I used to have a DE army many, many years ago, but ive not used one in the last 3 editions of fantasy.

I want to start with a good beginners list that i can expand upon gradually as i learn the ropes!

The list ive come up with as a start is as follows:

Highborn on Coldone
Sorceress
Sorceress
Assassin

20 Spearmen
20 Corsairs
12 Crossbowmen
5 Darkriders

5 Coldone Knights

2 Repeater Bolt throwers
1 Hydra

Ive got the armybook and wd update but they arent to hand sorry

Cheers in advance
Darklord of naggaroth
Dark Rider
Location: A dreaded place where any mere mortal would not be able to bear...Manchester

Post by Darklord of naggaroth »

well for starters, to comment on it we need to know how many points it is. I'll assume it's 2k (because you've used 4 characters)
for dark elves it's usually not a good idea to max out character slots in that it will make the army even smaller. It's the first time I've seen an assassin in a list for a long time; the reason being it that it is accepted as a majorly overpriced unit. So it's not a brilliant idea to take one, but if you want to that's no reason to stop you. It's not as though you can't win with it and it adds some flavour o the game.

I find it effective if you have your corsairs in units of 10 that you use as a flanking force for your warriors. I use two units of 20 spears with flanking corsairs for each one. it works well.

I can't comment on the hydra because I've dont have one.

other than that it's ok.
but like I say, you need to put in more detail. Command? Xbows on DR? Points? magic items?
The Weak deserve To Die
DarkLord
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

If you are asking whether this is a good set of models to start with and play around with, my answer is yes.

Other things I would get to add to your collection are:

5 more Dark Riders
2 Chariots
Truly These are the End Times ...
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

Welcome to the Dark Ark.

I think you are going a little too character heavy. Drop one of them, I would ditch a sorceress and rely on mage hunting for magic defense.

I wouldn't take 20 Corsairs. They have 2 hand weapons so using a frontage of 7 with them is best as you will get 15 attacks! A unt of 13 with FC is good enough.

Get 7 Harpies or 5 Shades too.Harassment is good for Dark Elves.

I want see you add 2 more units to this list and then get back to us.

I am thinking another unit of Dark Riders would be good. They are so handy it is almost a must to have 2 units.