Finally... 2250 Dodge and Weave (mid-page 1: 1K + 1.5K pred)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Firestart345
Executioner

Post by Firestart345 »

Really nice idea, i can honestly say i've never thought about it. Using this type of list, what kind of army would you build for a 2250pt tourney?
"Once i felt the tenderness and love of a warm, caring family, but they are gone. Whether they still live or not is of no importance, for emotion is a luxury that has long since been lost to me."
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Owns all the slaves responsible for monsterdoo removal, stables of Karond Kar

Post by Opera of death »

At least you can theoretically fight HoC and Festung Dawi, and you can 'respect' the strength of the troops and units. With our 'smoke and mirrors' mobile forces composed of fragile troops, the enemy are not very satisfied with their loss; like we cheated them somehow. No rant but perhaps a warning for others considering similar armies.
I like the sound of screaming in the morning; it invigourates the soul.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

People will always resent losing to such a list. Dunno if anyone plays MTG around here but I have a Mono-Blue counter deck that made me equally popular. The essence is similar; playing your strengths usually entails denying your opponent the use of his spells. In WHFB, with its many assault-oriented armies, this usually means denial of close combat (at least protracted ones). The visceral thrill of cc is very important to some people's enjoyment of the game, so they'll get mad at me.

Ignoring the simple fact that when my fragile Elves enter combat, they'll invariably die horrible deaths. Can't they see we're not about to stand for that? :?

I'll try to fix a (hypothetical) 2.25K list sometime soon. I'm thinking of Mengil, a DOW Dark Emissary... yes, yes, hate, hate :roll: ...
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Owns all the slaves responsible for monsterdoo removal, stables of Karond Kar

Post by Opera of death »

I can happily play like I'm a Druchii, but far too many players play like the're Orks or Khornate, no matter what army they actually play.

I look forward to your list. I resent being called cheesy or for being marked down in either sportsmanship or composition for using 'smoke and mirrors' armies when playing Elves; it's what they are all about!
I like the sound of screaming in the morning; it invigourates the soul.
Sulam
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulam »

@Raneth. Just as some players, I don't like using the sentence: 'justifying costs'. This is because it is not the point howmuch points a model killed, but alo take into account what kind of other damage it caused.
When taking my noble from last battle for example, he and his DR unit just killed two chariots, shot the last wounds from a shaman and paniced a unit of BO with general, which is quite much more than the aabout 300 points I paid for them. But even the fact that in Turn one I was able to threathen his war machine and restrict his movement because he shound't expose flanks is perhaps even worth more, not speaking of other psychological damage it might have caused. There are just too much aspects to only look at points costs

For this reason I can only answer your question by: He did horribly well this battle.:D

Sulam
|/^^^^^^^^^^^^^\ |______
|The Pimpmobile runs | |||'""|'"\___,
|over Bunny and Birdyl l||__|__|__|)
|(@)(@)"""""""""""""(@) (@)--------(@)

Army pics: www.bretonnia.i8.com/1darkelves.html
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

@ Sulam: all those things taken into account, I'd say he justified his points cost perfectly well! ;)

@ FS345: haven't had time to think about the 2250 list yet. But I promised, and I will make good shortly.

Last Thursday, I had to face an Asrai army - and won, but just barely. Led by a Spellsinger and an Alter Noble, his force included no Forest troops at all. Just Waywatchers, 2 units of Wardancers, Warhawk Riders, 2 units of Glade Riders and 2 units of Scouts running around.

Richard, my opponent, got the first turn.

6 units shooting at me before I could move. It wasn't pretty: the DR unit containing the Sorc was completely wiped out, the Shades suffered 3 casualties as well, as did another DR unit. All fled. Damn, I felt desperate already.

I got lucky on the rally rolls and the DS mounted Sorc went on joining up with another DR unit. The rest of the battle consisted of consecutively ganging up on Asrai units, taking no chances and wiping them out wholesale. To put it simple: his force was melting away faster than mine. Again, sheer volume prevailed. The fact that I had 4 magic missiles available, of which 2 were Chillwind, didn't help him much either. In turn 4, a barrage of fire took out the Scouts and the Spellsinger, and that feat restored my confidence. He took out the foot Sorc in his final turn with the Alter Noble - curse the bastard - but I responded in my last turn by turning him into a pincushion. That was his last model.

Again, very little real close combat. Apart from the Alter wetting his blade on the blood of my Sorc, it was mostly my Harpies finishing off stragglers. Managed to keep the Wardancers out of range long enough for them to be wiped out from a distance. ItP, annoying little buggers they were!

The Waywatchers did not survive my first turn, but then again they scared me really bad already. The Warhawks were just a pain in the nuts for my DR, and took a while to 'go down': they ended up fleeing the battlefield in turn 3.

A hard-fought battle if I ever had one. A ballet rehearsal, according to Rich. He might have a point! :lol:

All in all 3 wins in a row! Though I haven't got one off easy yet... and this time the dice gods were truly on my side, I must admit. :roll:

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Koplinchen
Trainee Warrior

Post by Koplinchen »

I personaly hate only one dominance (or cheesiness) and thats magic. You can always do something (even with shooting), but unless your opponent rolls mc you are just dead.
So cheesy cheese - Tzeentch, magic heavy Skaven.

Thats just bit off top.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

No offense taken. If anything, thank you.

Tijminator
Beastmaster

Post by Tijminator »

Wow, I somehow missed this thread all along. :S

Very nice army, and congrats on the wins. :D

I don't really think this is cheese. This is actually fluffy, and tactical.

I like the 1.5K list more than the 1K one, because of the included Hydra. It keeps in with the 'fast' theme, and adds some relieable punch.

I'd love to see the 2250 version of this. :D

Tijminator
The Price of Power

Viva la Banana!

Cornixt wrote:Why would anybody stand to wipe? You're closing the one area you want to remain open!
Sulam
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulam »

Nice battle, again.

This battle shows a few things to me.
1) The manouvrability of this list is awesome. You were able to beat flying cavalry and an army of M5 skirmishers with it! Congratulations!
2) Your shades unit with sorc does have a weakness: Challenges. A simple solution to this is taking a bloodshade in order to protect your sorc.

Sulam
|/^^^^^^^^^^^^^\ |______
|The Pimpmobile runs | |||'""|'"\___,
|over Bunny and Birdyl l||__|__|__|)
|(@)(@)"""""""""""""(@) (@)--------(@)

Army pics: www.bretonnia.i8.com/1darkelves.html
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Sulam:

@1: Not so much manoeuvrability, as the rate of fire from the rxbs were responsible for my dominance over them.

@2: Indeed. Richard did not bother with challenging - he just chopped them up and ran them down - but I'll definitely follow your suggestion in the 2250 list.

Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Apologies for the late update. Last Thursday brought me another victory: my opponent didn't show up and I won by default. Gave the 1.5K list a run against a BoC army though, and was quite happy with the results. It ended in a draw - both armies had largely fled off the field :lol:

Anyways I also promised a 2250 pts. list, and it turned out quite insane. For those of you who dare to enter the Realm of Smelly Cheese, I have edited my introductory post to incorporate the 2250 list as it stands now.

As always, suggestions are welcome.