GT Tournament. Need your help!

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Xymaris
Trainee Warrior

GT Tournament. Need your help!

Post by Xymaris »

Hey there, I have decided to start prepping, and thus painting for a hopeful Druchii win. Since where I am from comp/painting/sportmanship are some of it, I have put parts in this list for those reasons. However, I am fully ok with going all out. If you would please offer any suggestions to how to make this a harder list, I would appreciate it. Some things I am torn on are; 1.) Dropping the War Hydra for 2x More Reaper Bolt Throwers. Could establish a nasty fire base. 2.) Dropping the DR for another chariot, which is iffy for me, but if I go out very offensive a third chariot could be gross.Another alternative would be dropping the beastmaster for the chariot, but then I am down war machine hunters unless I fot in the craptacular harpies.....:P
--------==========================------

HB Black Dragon SDC, HA, Shield, Lance, Crown of Black Iron. (504)
Sorceress. 2x Dispel Scroll. (140)
Beastmaster. SDC LA, Lance, Dark Pegasus (107)

--==--

19x Warriors. Shield Standard (162)
15x Corsairs. Standard (160) *Might drop for 20x Warriors?*
10x Warriors RxB (110)
10x Warriors RxB (110)
5x Dark Riders. (90)
--==--
2 x Cold One Chariot. Spears. (194)
--==--
2x Reaper Bolt Thrower. (200)
1x War Hydra (220)

Total: 1997
Pd/DD: 3/3+2x DS
"In that space in between,only your motives speak clearly"
The_everchosen
Beastmaster
Location: Trying to think of something witty to put in this box

Post by The_everchosen »

I would droip the hydra, but not for RBT. I'd add an extra warrior to eh spear unit (19??).

Also, add some more WM hunters, maybe harpies, and I'd upgrade the BM on DP to a noble, just because he can be better armoured and has better stats. (You could maybe give him the seal of ghrond for extra magical protection.)

I'd also add in another unit of DR (with RXB), certainly don't drop your current unit, as they are a very good unit, and I think you'll find that you need them.

Hope that helps.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it - Winston Churchill
Xymaris
Trainee Warrior

Post by Xymaris »

Well, I have fiddled and fiddled and can't quite get it right. in my mind the beastmaster works on paper as a mage killer, and yet it doesn't quite work our, more as a war machine killer with a screen of harpies. If you know what I should tak in his stead, please suggest it. I would like to field a pegasus if possible, I love the model. Anyways, perhaps a noble on Ds is the better option. War hydra for 2 x Chariots? I also need to shave 17 pts.

HB Black Dragon , HA, Shield, Lance, Heart stone of darkness. (505)
Beastmaster. web of shadows., Lance, Dark Pegasus (124)

--==--

19x Warriors. Shield Standard (162)
10x Warriors RxB (110)
10x Warriors RxB (110)
5x Dark Riders. (90)
--==--
1x Cold One Chariot spears (97)
5x Harpies (65)
--==--
1x War Hydra (220)

Total: 2017
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Re: GT Tournament. Need your help!

Post by Dyvim tvar »

1 -- Dropping the Hydra would be a good idea. They aren't great fighters, and their primary benefit is Terror. But since you already have a dragon, the Terror from the hydra is wasted. Dump it and use those 220 points for other things.

2 -- Do not drop the Dark Riders. If anything, you need 1 or 2 more units of them.

3 -- Upgrade the beastmaster to a noble. He hits MUCH harder than a beastmaster.

4 -- Harpies are not "craptacular," you just have to know how to use them. They are a very good option for hunting enemy war machines, they can serve as a screen to protect a pegasus from missile fire (since a pegasus is not a large target), and if nothing else, they can claim or contest table quarters and can drop in behind the enemy to prevent march moves and for cross-fire purposes. A unit of 5 or 6 is very cheap, so if you do lose them early it's no big deal.

5 -- 19 warriors . . . looks like you are planning on filling in ranks with your sorceress. HORRIBLE idea. A scroll-caddy has no reason at all to get close to the enemy, so do not put her in a combat unit. Keep her with your crossbows or put her out of line-of-sight in a building or in some woods, and up the spearmen to 20.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Katon
Highborn

Post by Katon »

True get 20 speamen, if they get shot at you will lose 3-4 and that back rank will be gone, but if you flank charge with the full 20 you can get uber CR
Xymaris
Trainee Warrior

Post by Xymaris »

Well, thanks for all the advice, you have all been very helpful. I am sorry for referring to harpies as "Craptacular" I use them all the time however at the time of thios posting I used them against TK and VC recently in tounrmaments and they ran/sat a lot. Anyways, My last questions are if I should drop 5 spear elves for more RxB. Another thought is to drop one unit of Dr for another chariot or RBT. Which do you think would work better in conjunction with the army, or is this a good incarnation.

Once again thanks for your ongoing advice.

HB Black Dragon , HA, Shield, Lance, SDC Crown of Black Iron. (504)
Noble, Lance Ha,shield. DP (135)

--==--

20x Warriors. Shield Standard (170)
10x Warriors RxB (110)
10x Warriors RxB (110)
5x Dark Riders. (90)
5x Dark Riders. (90)
--==--
2x Cold One Chariot spears (194)
5x Harpies (65)
--==--

Total: 2002
Garluch
Beastmaster

Post by Garluch »

drop 2 coc and a warrior and get 2 more RBT.

Btw:Wohoo! 100 posts!
08madelf
Trainee Warrior

Post by 08madelf »

Drop the second set of chariots and add RxB's to the dark riders and musicians then add a small flanking unit of Executioners or Witch elves.
Katon
Highborn

Post by Katon »

Yea drop 2 lots of chariots and get RxB and musican for the DRs, if you can i would get a unit of 10 Witch Elvles, if you have spare points bump them up to 15, or add a few extra hapries.

I think that for 2k armys 2 RBT with 20 RxB is enough fire power unless you wana go shooting heavy.

If you have the points give your 20 Warriors a Musican to go with that Standard.
08madelf
Trainee Warrior

Post by 08madelf »

think that for 2k armys 2 RBT with 20 RxB is enough fire power unless you wana go shooting heavy.

What Katon Edios is true and if u have too many guns then u cannot defeat large armies. Just on set of 2 RBT's are enough
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

If you are going to drop 5 spearelves, drop the entire unit. Their purpose is to provide rank bonus, and if you aren't making maximum use of that, it's not an efficient use of points.

The list as it presently stands looks very much like a pared-down version of a list I've been running recently. It looks good overall, but you are 2 points over and tournaments won't let you get away with that. You may have to drop spears from 1 chariot.
08madelf
Trainee Warrior

Post by 08madelf »

I always allow a little leway for ponts in my local games.

(Tournaments are harsh)
Eluiasur
Shade

Post by Eluiasur »

Im not sure 4 chariots are great for army comp. and possibly effects spotrsmanship?? Well It is defenetly better than 4 RBTs. (than again dragon mightnot be the best choice either lol).

Otherwise the list is very solid, good shooting phase, good CC phase, who needs magic ;), pretty standard list actually nothing to special IMHO. Im just a little sceptic on two RxB units, seeing as they would be useless against some army's (ie bretts).

@ Dyvim: "pared down"?? This interests me :) (do you have a link?)
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Canadian GT in Toronto? If so, congrats on the invite and I'm impressed that you'd travel so far to go - sweet!

HB Black Dragon , HA, Shield, Lance, SDC Crown of Black Iron. (504)

Not my most favoured sort of unit, mainly because you'll hit comp issues (I've done it at a GT before and they weren't impressed). I tend to give my guy more equipment (lifetaker, blood armour and the ward save) but there's nothing wrong with your configuration. Let me know if you ever get to use the special ability for the crown - never seen it before myself, but you never know. ;) For the extra 10 points you really shoudl go with the stone (I don't remember it being forbidden).

Noble, Lance Ha,shield. DP (135)

I find that if you're going to equip the noble with so little stuff that you're often better off with just the steed to save the points for other things. The steed has value, but if you're going to give him next to nothing, consider adding in the deathmask - it can be quite useful and its certainly not expected.

--==--

20x Warriors. Shield Standard (170)
10x Warriors RxB (110)
10x Warriors RxB (110)
5x Dark Riders. (90)
5x Dark Riders. (90)
--==--
No musicians in the DR units - or RXBs for that matter? I think you're limiting yourself, but that's me.

2x Cold One Chariot spears (194)
5x Harpies (65)

4 chariots are also going to get you looks and hurt comp, but I can see where you're going. I manage to roll Ld8 tests way more often than I should so I can get away with fewer in terms of redundancy (I fail about 1/16 or so and even went 3 whole games only failing once with 3 tests per turn). If you can avoid it, its a good idea to do so, but if not its only going to affect comp, so meh.
--==--

I think your list looks just fine though its not my style and I think you need more unit upgrades to keep your units around longer, but it should serve you well. To be quite honest, I don't think its well rounded enough to ensure a top 10 finish as those armies tend to have more magic to go along with the shooting, but if you're properly aggressive and get some nice breaks at good times you can definitely make it.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

EluiAsur wrote:@ Dyvim: "pared down"?? This interests me :) (do you have a link?)

Here it is:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=quake

The thread title is "Obnoxiously Shooty Dragon List" -- kind of says it all