Molarr The Ogre Slavelord & The Broken Sea Corsairs

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

RATE THIS ARMY

2/10
No votes
4/10
50%
6/10
25%
8/10
25%
10/10
No votes

Total votes: 8

Barabas
Slave on the Altar

Molarr The Ogre Slavelord & The Broken Sea Corsairs

Post by Barabas »

Druchii ,

The name is Barabas im from the community of The Ogre Stronghold. Wanting to know friends and foes while starting a new project on the side... I taught that the best place to get some real critics about it would be right here in the Druchii homeland of lettering. I am at this time lurking to hade Corsairs and Cold One's under the direction of one of my Ogre. The plan is to built and fluf a small army of dedicated Corsairs to hunt down man of the lands and put them under 'Slavery' for after be delivered to the Mountain of Mourn as within the hold gates of Arnheim.

Although my English is not my first language ill make my best and ask that you keep your comments on it to yourself. All others critics abouts the fluff or the choice of units / characters are welcome and if I can say in dire need. The army, while being under the govern 'fluff-wise' of an Ogre Slavelord, is to be play as a Dark Elf Army and be use on the side for small friendly games.

THE PLAN
To create a small army of fast moving Corsairs that would gather human slaves surrounding the water parts of the known continents and sell them to Slavelords around the world (mainly Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs & Dark Elfs)

THE STORY
Upon an attack on the East gates of the Silver Road within the Mountain of Mourn a Dark Elf Highborn and his Corsairs take under his wings 3 Ogres. Hunting the sea the army make haste but keep loosing profits. While having promiss tonnes of golds to his Corsairs the Highborn loose his position after a challenge of leadership by one of his man and is kill by a human slave under revenge. Not having any leader.. one of the Ogre take the lead and the Corsairs make profits after profits.. reselling their catch within the Old World to the gates of Arnheim and the Mountain of Mourn.

THE CONVERTION
Put the Ogres on Carnosaurs following the idea of Cold One's for fluff & convert Cold One Knights in a more Corsairs bunch to hade to the look of the army. Give the feeling that the army is in the same trouble as the small band of Malus Dark Elf In the first chapter of "The Deamon's Curse" book, A Tale of Malus Darkblade.

THE ARMY
Less than 2000pts
On paper: 1995 pts
Updated: 01 may 07

Heroes
-Dark Elf Noble (158pts)
Blade of Ruin, Shield, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One

-Dark Elf Sorceress (206)
Hand Weapon, Armour of Darkness, Darkstar Cloak, Cold One
Level II Wizard Dark Magic

-Dark Elf Noble (211pts)
Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One
Battle Standard Bearer: Hydra Banner

Core Units
-Corsairs (145pts)
12 Corsairs: 1 Reaver, 1 Musician, 1 Standard

-Corsairs (145pts)
12 Corsairs: 1 Reaver, 1 Musician, 1 Standard

Special Units
-Cold One Knights (438pts)
12 Knights: 1 Dread Knight, 1 Musician, 1 Standard with 'Banner of Murder'

-Cold One Chariot (105pts)
Repeater Crossbow

-Cold One Chariot (105pts)
Repeater Crossbow

-Mengil Manhide's Manflayers (363pts)
Mengil & 10 Manflayers, Banner of Kalad, Musician
Hand Weapon, Crossbow, Great Weapon

Rare Units
-Reaper Bolt Thrower (100pts)
As per rules

Open for Critics,
BARABAS
Last edited by Barabas on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

Do drop one noble.

Get some more Dark Riders with those points.

You ought to put more effort into your armylists. It doesn't look like you have filled out 2000 points yet......

I woudl take Reapers AND Ogres.

Why don't you use the Raiders armylist in the back of the DE armybook. It is a good list to use DOW with but you can't take any Executioners or Cold Ones.

You could have a Slave Giant and a unit of Slave Ogres.

You can't take magic though so most people don't like the idea. You would have to counter that with tactics!
Barabas
Slave on the Altar

Post by Barabas »

Well since its a less than 2000pts army Ill have to play with: 3 Characters, 2+ Core, 3 Special and 1 rare. I see the points of having the Dark Riders but wanted to get away from putting horses on the table and instead gather more Cold Ones within the Knights unit. The tactics that I was looking for was to have a walking forces in the middle with two reapers or Ironguts, and, a huge group of Cold One on one side to flank and be supported by a group of Manflayers.

Empty / Corsairs, Reaper, Executioners, Reaper, Corsairs / Cold One's & Manflayers

I understand the fast and furious move of the Dark Riders but I wanted to concentrate on having two strong forces that were going to meet in the middle. Like an 'L'. My second choice was to have Chariot instead... 'But' dont know if the result would be better ? The Manflayers are there to start from the corner of the table and walk toward the middle supporting both the Cold One's group and the Infantry advance. All converging toward the centre !

Empty / Corsairs, Ogre Ironguts, Corsairs / Cold One's & Cold One Chariots with Manflayers behind

Point Taken, Tks
Barabas
Uberaris
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Uberaris »

Woot! Strong hold pride :D

And defiantly get DR's... I did a proxy game today. Soooo worth it.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

It's hard for me to write a review when I don't know what's in your army. You've left out unit-size, point cost, and magic items, which is what would give me an idea as to how I could help you.

All I can really say is switch out Mengil for Shades. He's going to be very expensive, and if you take a decent sized squad of Manflayers, you'll find that you can hardly fit anything else in your list. I'm also iffy on your Executioners, but only because I'm not sure they fit your theme.
Barabas
Slave on the Altar

Post by Barabas »

I see your point Sirist,

My intentions were to make the list and go for the points after.. not wanting to go freaky on it since their still alot of reading on this forums (aka experience told from members) to be done by myself, plus, I dint know how much tac the critics would end up. Ill grab the time and bring out the numbers.

Mengil as always been a second untouch legend for me about the Dark Elf thats why im trying to use him in this army. I would have also pin Malus in but wanted to make this band a new shaping one and let the demon story to the side. Plus im sure Malus as been use over and over toward fluff in this forum no point having one more hehe..

Executioners ??, K point taken and review, Tks
Will update the list with the change in a few minutes.
Barabas
Slave on the Altar

Post by Barabas »

Update made, magic taken & first thread updated with change (31may).

Total Army (1996pts)

28 Corsairs
02 Reapers
10 Manflayers
12 Cold One's & Cold One's Heroes
02 Cold One's Chariot
Last edited by Barabas on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

Here's a couple of points/questions that might be worth your time.

1. Of course you can't give two different Nobles the same magic weapon. I'm guessing that's a typo, right? What other weapon did you mean to bring?

2. Maybe the group you game with goes light with magic, but under typical circumstances your choice for a single lvl 2 with the Darkstar Cloak is probably not how you want to go. She's not good enough to really accomplish much offensively, and your magical defense is frighteningly weak. I would advise you to either swap out one of the Nobles for another Sorceress, or drop the lvl 2, and the Darkstar Cloak and take a couple of scrolls and the Seal of Ghrond. Sorry, I haven't opened the Dark Elf book in about a year, so those points might not be the same - you may have to fiddle with things to scrape up a few more.

3. You could probably convert two of the Ogres into something cool that you could use as Cold One Chariots. Get the Ogre models into your army anyway.

4. I don't see Executioners or Ogre Ironguts in the last army list, but I see them in your deployment diagrams. :?

Barabas wrote:Total Army (1996pts)

28 Corsairs
02 Reapers
10 Manflayers
12 Cold One's & Cold One's Heroes
02 Cold One's Chariot
Here's the problem I see with this selection: The CoK's are a good strong steamroller of a unit, and they look that way so they will be the target of all enemy artillary, missiles and magic. Oh, and if they get stupid, there goes 90% of your plan. The Manflayers are a toss up - depends really on what they get matched up against and whether you can combine them with one of the Corsair units or one of the Chariots (I love the models though, so would never advise you to lose them from the list). The Corsairs and Chariots have to all work as support units, and it will take a combined charge from three of the four of them to break most enemy units. If you get extremely lucky with the dice, two of the units could break an enemy regiment, but that's something that will happen about once every other game. And you have two Chariots, so you can expect at least one failed Stupidity test per game there, or more like 2 to 3 per game on average. I think you need another hammer, but I'm not sure what best fits into your fluff. Probably something that uses Ogre models though, whether as a hired unit or as part of a conversion.

6. Where's the Ogre that took over and leads them? Are you good with converting? I guess you could try to convert an Ogre skin wrapped around a Dark Elf Sorceress and say she's animating the body via magic and fooling everybody into thinking it's the Ogre. Or do you make one of the Nobles (or both) an Ogre model, but just use Dark Elf Noble rules?
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Barabas
Slave on the Altar

Post by Barabas »

Point taken, Tks

Point 2: Point taken will do my research on Dark Elf magic, Tks !

Point 3: Ogres are kool, but this side army is for me to have a brake and learn other tactics on the field then bash and laugh because ive won again. The intent was to have a small Dark Elf forces for the less than 2000pts games. While giving me some opportunity to convert something else.

The Ogre on Carnosaur is already on the way. Ill be using him more as a painting center piece for contest then for games... maybe bring him in home friendly games but thats it. The point was to have him in background fluff ordering the Corsairs to slaves the villages. If things go bad he simply turn away from the fight and go recruit more Dark Elf. If things go right more profits for all, more profits for the Slavelord !!!

Point 4: Took the Executioners out so I could field Manflayers, chariot & Cold one's. The rules stipulate that Mengil counts for a special toward dark elf and as rare for other army... if not he would end up as rare and the Executioners would be brough in...

Im updating the list each time someone come with a better ideas thats why you dont see them anymore but see them in previous post. Dont see the point in starting a new post each time I change something or make an update cause someone brought a better idea. I would fill the forum...

Point 5: Love Mengil history think they should have made a book out of him instead of so many Malus one's. I know ill be confronting stupidity with the cold one's but their just to awesome as beast to say no I dont wanna play them because of it. Its warhammer you have to make the dice play the game... If I loose with them to much ill just pull my Ogres upon the table hehe !!!

Point 6: Convertion is no problem... thats why the Knights will have a full new face lift. Was thinking having the chariot converted in slaves carriers, would end up longuer then what their are tuff. Gonna check if the Cold One's would look better standing on their back legs... put a single neck chain instead of the metal beam they have...

Army updated,
Critics are welcome,
BARABAS
Lord adrianus
Noble

Post by Lord adrianus »

You can't give the Sorceress the Armour of Darkness
Starting with Orks!!! A green tide will come (well, I have 34 boyz now :D