First non CoS DE list @2500 points.

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Vampire1812
Executioner

First non CoS DE list @2500 points.

Post by Vampire1812 »

As the title says this is my first attempt at getting back into Fantasy with my beloved Dark Elves. Who isnt excited for August eh? Anyway with Cult of Slannesh becomming outdated and non legal I am venturing into the relm of regular elves. Please have a look and feel free to make comments and point out concerns. Thank you!

Lords / Heroes
Dark Elf Highborn on Black Dragon with Blood Armor, Crown of Black Iron, Crimson Death, and Repeater Xbow
@550
Dark Elf Noble on Dark Pegasus with Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield of Ghrond, Lance, and Repeater Xbow
@179
Dark Elf Noble on Dark Pegasus with Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Enchanted Shield, Lance, and Repeater Xbow
@159
Dark Elf Sorceress on Dark Steed with 2 Dispell scrolls
@140

Core
5 Dark Riders with Repeater Xbows and Muscian
@127
@127
@127
@127

Special
6 Cold one Knights with Standard Bearer, Muscian, and Champion
@219
6 Cold one Knights with Standard Bearer, Muscian, and Champion
@219
6 Harpies
@78

Rare
1 War Hydra
@220
1 War Hydra
@220

Points Summary
Lord/Hero Points: 1028/41.25%
Core Points 508/20.39%
Special Points: 516/20.71%
Rare Points: 440/17.66%
Total Points: 2492
Last edited by Vampire1812 on Wed May 07, 2008 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowcash
Cold One Knight

Post by Lowcash »

Just a thought, I would run at least 2 chariots if you are going to run them at all. 1 tends to be kind of useless, they work better in pairs.

Is the Noble on a mount of any kind or is he running with a unit of foot soldiers? Same question for the Sorc.

I don't know if you ever use Mengil and his manflayers, but you could use them as an alternative to your black guard if you don't like the way they perform, 10 flayers is slightly less points.

I would be weary of having your noble on the manti since it is your only flying unit. That is usually a "no-no". Even though I do it with a dragon, however he has a better AS then a manti. :)

It looks like a well rounded list. But not a list that excels in any particular phase of a turn.
It isn't a magic heavy list, shooting is decent but not OP, and only a few hard hitters.
Consider focusing on 1 or 2 phases of a turn that you will dominate rather then trying to do OK in all phases.
“You win battles by knowing the enemy's timing, and using a timing which the enemy does not expect.”

-Miyamoto Musashi
Jayferd22
Executioner

Post by Jayferd22 »

Just a question, are you allowed to carry a shooting weapon if your character has a magical hand weapon? or does that apply to only weapons of the same type. Scary putting your general on the Manti like that. I would suggest another fast unit (preferably a flyer) to use as a distraction so your highborn doesn't turn into a wood elves easiest target. Wash the Chariot and Bolt Throwers and get Mengils Manflayers. Chariots are better in pairs and this list doesn't really benefit much from long range fire power. Give yourself another heavy hitter and you're golden.
The time for critical thinking is becoming critical I think
Vampire1812
Executioner

Post by Vampire1812 »

First off thank you for the advice so far. So I was looking over the options and came up with a beast list instead. Is this any better? Updated the main army list post.
Last edited by Vampire1812 on Wed May 07, 2008 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

You second incarnation is illegal. A beastmaster on Manticore takes up two hero choices. Thus you have 5 heroes and a lord in your army. That is not possible at 2500pt.

On to composition, chariots and hydras are fairly slow compared to the other units mentioned in this list. They will slow you down. Unfortunately, DE can't pull of an all-cav list as well as other races.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

jayferd22 wrote:Just a question, are you allowed to carry a shooting weapon if your character has a magical hand weapon? or does that apply to only weapons of the same type.

You can have whatever weapons you want (as long as you only have one magical weapon), but if you are in cc you must use your magical cc weapon (unless you are a bret and charging and got a lance).

so you can have a magical hand weapon and any bow you want and shoot it, or you can have a magical hand weapon and a great weapon (but you cant use the greatweapon until your magical weapon is destroyed)
Vampire1812
Executioner

Post by Vampire1812 »

This is still a concept and most likely will change with the new book but here we go! The goal was for lots of mobility and hard hitters. Magic might be a big problem for the list however I think it has elements that are fast enough to mage hunt. All you fantasy guys take a look for me and give me some sound advice. I am either going to go this route or a magic heavy list.

Updated the main army list post.
Last edited by Vampire1812 on Wed May 07, 2008 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowcash
Cold One Knight

Post by Lowcash »

Wow, thats going to be a fast moving list. Definitely focusing on quickly attacking and destroying one unit at a time. With no magic, you will want to make sure you are in combat as much as possible to hopefully deny any type of magic that cant be cast at units in combat.

I like to take some sort of magic with me, but this list looks like it would be fun to play. And if you have the models, go for it. I can see if having problems against some armies, but what list doesn't?
“You win battles by knowing the enemy's timing, and using a timing which the enemy does not expect.”

-Miyamoto Musashi
Vampire1812
Executioner

Post by Vampire1812 »

Yeah I was thinking about that and decided to drop one peg and get a scroll caddy in there. Something has to help out with some magic defense.
Vampire1812
Executioner

Post by Vampire1812 »

I am torn between this list and my Magic heavy list any other pieces of advice I am missing?