New Dark Elves - Karond Kar army blog -MORE REPORTS POSTED

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Benji
Malekith's Personal Guard

New Dark Elves - Karond Kar army blog -MORE REPORTS POSTED

Post by Benji »

Hi,

I used to post on here quite regularly but have drifted off since moving onto other armies, as soon as i found out a new book was coming i did my best to get involved and start building a new army.

Seeing as the release date is imminent i thought i put up a post with what i've been working on recently and it will also show the progress of my army as i get my hands on the new toys and get it ready for the cardiff carnage in august.

I'll start with the list i have been using recently and a quick write up as to why i'm going down this route.

2000pts Karand Kar Rading party.

Dark elves were my first love of WFB and i have always been into the monster side of the army. In the past i have used a army with a dragon and 2 hydras and when i got hold of the new book the first thing i did was build an army around 2 hydras. I played around with a few variants and tried all the shiney new toys (uber magic phase, infantry + cauldren army) and eventually made the decision that for a real monster army i would have to ditch magic altogether and go for the Dragon + Manticore combo.

This is what i came up with.

Dreadlord, Black dragon.

Master, Manticore, BSB,

These 2 would be the real hard hitters in the army. I'm not going to go into what item they have until the book is out but they both pack quite a punch. The hatred from the riders affecting the mounts makes a huge difference from the last book.

Core.

With a total lack of magic the rest of the army needs to be very fast, i also need alot of units to make sure they all don't get blown apart before i can get into combat.

5 Dark Riders
5 Dark Riders
5 Dark Riders
5 Harpies
5 Harpies
5 Harpies

All fast, and can hunt mages/warmachines better than any other army in the game IMO. They are also dirt cheap so will be used as throw away units to get in the way of stuff and stop and nasty magical movement against my big stuff.

Special

Fairly simple here.

5 Coldone Knights
5 Coldone Kinghts

The main reason for this is the models and also the Beasts/Monster theme of the army. It would be good to get some shades in but i would have to drop a unit of knights. I don't want to do that so the shades get left behind.

At 2250 points i can get 5 more knights and 7 shades.

Rare

2 War Hydras

These bad boys are awsome. i have tried splitting them up bu it didn't work. they operate best while holding hands. Anyone wanting to charge one will also have to fight the other, 14 st5 hatred attacks in return without taking into account the handlers should put anyone off.

I've played 2 games so far with the full monster army and have had 2 wins. The first was against a brettonian RAF army that finished top 10 at the GT final, and the other was against a magic heavy VC army with 2 necros packing 4 power stones!

Almost immediatly i have discovered that i need champions in the dark rider units, how i'm going to fit them in i havn't thought about yet.

Thats the gamig side sorted out, now i'm going onto the modeling.

My lord on dragon is already finished from my last army so thats dealt with.

The manticore is getting converted using a manticores head, the plastic high elf dragon and a bucket of green stuff. The rider will be the new mounted dreadlord.

Onto the core and the bit i'm most keen to get done. The dark riders. I'm using glade riders horses and legs for these with the new corsair top halves.

remember kids you've seen it here first :)

The knights i am using the new models. They are stunning so there is no reason to mess around with them. I thought about using just the coldones from the characters as they are armoured but that would cost a fortune.

The 2 hydras are also stunning but i will be messing around with them. I have a plant to model one of them breathing fire on a highelf, the fire will be hitting an invisible froce field as the dragon armour is repelling it. The 2nd hydra i'm not sure what to do.

The last thing i'm still not sure on is the harpies. I have lots of different ideas but am still drawn to the original models.

I'll keep updating this thread with progress of my gaming and modeling and once the book is out i'll put up my full list and give my thoughts on the magic item combo's that i am using.

Thanks for reading

Ben
Last edited by Benji on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faulkynn grom
Corsair

Post by Faulkynn grom »

Sounds very promising. A very hard hitting list, with all the right elements except of course Anti-magic. If possible you my want to consider the Ring of Hotek and null shards to help you in that regards. Or run two manticores and a Lvl1 caddie, perahps?

Anyways, that's my $0.02.

FG
Benji

Post by Benji »

Faulkynn Grom wrote:If possible you my want to consider the Ring of Hotek and null shards to help you in that regards.

As i said above, I'll talk about magic items later. ;)

Ring of hotek might possibly be in there :twisted:
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Interesting you say you neeeeed Heralds... nowadays they're only protection for weak characters. For what do you neeeeeed Heralds?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Benji

Post by Benji »

When playing the VC guy last night i charged my lord into his vampire lord and the dark riders into the flank. He had the lord, 2 necros and a champion in the unit. With him raising between every other round of combat i couldn't kill the damn things fast enough and the champion keeps coimg back and taking the challenge. i got the lord in the end but if i had a champion in the dark riders i could have killed his lord at the first attempt.

Even when not trying to kill characters it could be the difference between the dragon killing 6 models or killing the champion for 6, when crumble comes into it the extra dead models could be the difference that pops the unit. The same applies to deamons.

The monsters can't take on units on their own and rely on the support to tip the balance.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Ah, fair enough. So same as always but more so, and good value with BS5 and 2A. Wait a minute... you're fielding them without RXB? And another question... you say Characters' Cold Ones are armoured, is the armour a separate piece?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Extremely hard list. Very fast with lots of monsters and an element of no touch with the DRs and harpies. The only thing in the list that isn't T5 or have a 2+ AS costs nothing and is designed to be wasted at need. Nasty just nasty.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Benji

Post by Benji »

I can sacrifice all the units and just have the monsters left at the end of the game, that leaves me with around 1300 points on the table and enought units to claim/contest all 4 table 1/4's and any objectives. This inculdes throwing away the knights if need be. They are only 135pts for a unit

I've not had my hands on the new models yet but i have seen the finisehd painted models at the open day a few weeks agao. The lord and sorceress' coldones had armour the unit ones didn't.
Gaz taylor
Dark Rider

Post by Gaz taylor »

Looks very simular to something I was thinking about doing when the book comes out, although I think I would have gone for chariots rather than knights. I'll be following this with interest.

Also any chance of a bat rep of some sorts? ;)
stuffem, tankem, ammeram

My Ramblings - http://the-gt-files.blogspot.com/
Benji

Post by Benji »

I thought about chariots but i love the new knight models and the chariots are a bit slow. On the other hand they do hit hard and are more mobile than the knights. Chariots would be better against wood elves.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Nice retro spearelves and great color scheme! Very interested in seeing how the HE Dragon/Manticore turns out. I'm not sure its my thing but I am very ready to see where you go with it.
Khar'tan
Slave on the Altar

Post by Khar'tan »

Wow, I havnt seen those old warrior modles in quite a while, good conversion
Death the the false Phoenix
Benji

Post by Benji »

I played another game with the list last night vs Demons

He brought,

LOC
Nurgle Herald on Planquin
16 Plague Bearers
10 Horrors
10 Bloodletters
5 Fleshhounds
6 Flamers
3 Crushers
2x 5 Furies.

The game ended with a minor win to the demons. I made a few mistakes which cost me both hydras and the manticore. The lord was awsome kiling the small demons a unit at a time. The flesh hounds, bloodletters and flamers all went down to him.

Hatred makes the monsters awsome, but having to overrun is a pain, a double 6 overrun from a hydra cost me badly when it meant i hit the nurgle block instead of being able to flee like i had planned.

The manticore rider with BSB and ring of hotek is great too, he is great sat in the middle of the army protecting the hydras and dragon and giving them rerolls in combat.

The lord with Pendant of Khaleth and Armour of servitude is almost unkillable so i have no fears about putting him infront of stuff and leffting them charge especially with the manticore nearby to counter charge.

Not sure when my next game will be as i've got to get some practice in with my woodelves as i'm in the England Team for the ETC
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

Love the old school spearelves, and their colour scheme is quite striking. Undecided on the manti conversion though, unless you haven't finished it yet. I suggest you putty over the rest of the reptilian skin to make it hairy like the part you have already greenstuffed, the clash between the hair and reptilian skin doesn't go over well with me, at least while it is unpainted. (And if you were already planning to do so just ignore that part and tell me to retreat to a corner where I won't be too embarassed with myself.)

Fairly sure the lord & sorceress COs are metal, though not a hundred percent on that. They will most likely be one piece if they are metal and two piece if they are plastic.

I'll be back to a computer in august, hope to see some progress (meaning pictures) when I get back from camping!

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Coldeyes
Corsair

Post by Coldeyes »

congratulations on the 2 wins and minor loss :) i have to say the manticore looks pretty tight, im only half-down with lonely as the scale plus fur could work if your planning on keeping it that way but you kept that ugly manti head :(

im also in the middle of converting my current khainite list into a more Karond Kar influenced army and im a bit inspired from what you wrote so far. good luck on later games!
Blood and souls for Khaine!
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Benji will do well with that list. It suits his style perfectly!
Joey_boy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Joey_boy »

benji: Nice little list you have there. The CoK aint my cup but I see there worth in the list. I'll be gooing for the shades with GWs myself over CoK. Also having 6 Harpies in the units might help abit when magehunting if I recall the charge rules corectly.

Keep us updated with pics and battle reps :)

/Johan R
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Swedish ranking page and forum
Xerasi
Highborn

Post by Xerasi »

Joey, why is it an advantage having 6 harpies over 5? The only reason I can see is if you are magehunting models on 25mm bases, and they tend to be very hard for harpies to cope with. You'd be able to throw them in corner to corner and get 3 models in btb if the enemy is in a 5 wide formation. I'm sure there is some reason, but could you elaborate?

Hi Benji, it's all looking good. I'm enjoying the old school spearmen as well, especially with the "new school" shields from 6th ed CoK. Looks quite stunning.

I'm not really to much into the manticore, although I like what you've done, I think it's to snakelike. Scales and fur looks fine, though fur needs to be put on the tail as well (or 50% + of the scales needs to be removed if you ask me), though it looks like you didn't start the work down there. I love the idea, but the dragon/manticore is lacking two important features, where I'd believe it would be sufficent just to adjust one thing. It's got an awful long neck, and that makes it look like it's lacking shoulders. I'd consider cutting the whole part with the seat out, as the neck looks to thin there, and then pushing the head back. The problem is obvious that it'll be next to impossible to fit a rider onto it then, but I just believe it'll look so much better.
DoW 2/2.25k W-L-D: 22 - 4 - 3
Benji

Post by Benji »

Another update.

I've got my spearhead so am making progress with the army building. My manticore riders is as follows;

My rider is now;

Highelf legs
Coldone champion torso
Corsair squid banner top
highelf lance pennant
coldone left lance/banner pole arm
Corsair head.

Right arm is not settled yet. He will have either a shield or some funky weapon from the corsair sprue.

I've built and greened my first hydra, it took about 3 hours!!!!! But it was well worth it.

I need 3 more hydras, while i wait for them i will do my dark riders. The corsais don't appear to fit the steeds very well but i will have another go tomorrow night before i sack it off and use the glade rider cloaks on warrior bodys with corsair heads and weapons.

On the gaming side i didn't us ethe darkelves this week and gave my woodies a run out instead. I have a game booked for monday and tuesday using dark elves vs demons then VC's
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Keep us posted. I am really getting fired up about the spearhead and will be watching for it every day. I have to travel the 18th-21st and hope I don't miss it.

Manticore rider sounds very intersting and unlikely to see anything that looks similar to himself while out patrolling.
Benji

Post by Benji »

i played another game tonight vs demons.

i took lots of pics so expect a battle report in the next few days.

The magic item set up i'm running is-

lord, Crimson death, pendant of khaleth and arounr of eternal servitude

Master - ring of hotek and i'v been torn between making him more killy with the killingblow lance or more survivable with armour of darkness. I'm not sure which to go with.

I've changed my army slightly and gone with 2 chariots and 1 unit of knights. I had to drop 5 harpies but can get a standard on the knights

The chariots are in because i have a great idea for a pair of chariots. The nights have to have a standard because i've modeled an awesome one. :)
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

go for survivability killing blow for the master isn't worth it imo!
Chariots are great...I run two plus a unit of knights, works really well, especially if you can combo charge with the hydrae...
Undeadcatd
Noble

Post by Undeadcatd »

how about cok's champion carry the ring ,then BSB can get both AOD and killingblow lance , which is great combine with manticore(or calendor bane/mr1 ?)
Shadowblade...
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shadowblade... »

What about giving the Master a sword of might and an enchanted shield?, that plus HA and SDC would make him a balanced choice between survivability and killiness dont you think?

Please I wanna hear more mini battle reps!
Death to the weaklings!!, for anyone that is strong enough can serve us well....