2250 Execs Axe Khainaite List

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

2250 Execs Axe Khainaite List

Post by Smiler6310 »

Hi,

Would appreciate some opinions on this list.

Dreadlord, Executioners Axe, Blood Armour, SDC
Lv1 Scroll Caddy
Death Hag COB BSB

2x10 RXB, Mus, Sh
2x5 DR, RXB, Mus
2x5 Harpies

2x12 Execs
6 Shades, GW's
14 BG, TM with RoH, StB with SoHG - Dreadlord Here

Hydra
2 RBT

Total: 2231pts

Hows this list look? What changes would you make and how would you spend the spare 19pts?
Death on Wings!
Grandmaster ej
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Grandmaster ej »

I think you will have massive problems getting the black guard into much to use that axe on, the exe axe works better in a list with 2 shadow level 2s and an assassin for 4 steeds a turn :twisted:
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I would try to crowbar in a 2nd level on your sorceress and get another sorceress. This can dramatically improve the effectiveness of this army. Drop a unit of executioners and a unit of harpies to do this. With the added ranged attacks and the ability to cast shadow magic (steed and unseen lurker), you become very dangerous with the axe.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

Hey thx for the help, I've taken the crowbar to the list-hows this look?

Lv2 Scroll Caddy
Lv2, Lifetaker, ToF
Death Hag COB BSB

2x10 RXB, Mus, Sh
2x5 DR, Mus
2x5 Harpies

2x12 Execs
13 BG, TM, StB with SoHG - Dreadlord Here

Hydra
2 RBT

Total: 2250pts

I've dropped the Shades instead of a units of Execs due to fluff reasons and trying to maintain the Khainaite theme.
Last edited by Smiler6310 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Death on Wings!
Los manticores
Warrior

Post by Los manticores »

Unless you plan to bait and flee with your RxB's you have 30pts tied up in Mus and shields. I like it though.
Cheers,
Mike C
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

What an idiot I am! :oops: Just noticed that the tower master still has the Ring of Hotek. Will be more of a hinderance than a help with 2 Lv2's so If I drop it the list goes to 2250pts exactly!

Will edit my last post! :D
Death on Wings!
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

So after doing some (alot) of reading on here. I've found that RBT's are potentially too much of a 'hit and miss' (pun intended) so I'm considering dropping them.

Instead I'm thinking of going with Grandmaster EJ's option of a flying stars assassin-would also keep to the Khainaite theme. How does this look? Changes in blue.

Lv2 Scroll Caddy
Lv2, Lifetaker, ToF
Death Hag COB BSB
Assassin, AHW, RStars, Manbane, Cloak of Twilight

2x10 RXB, Mus, Sh - Sorcs in here
2x5 DR, Mus
2x5 Harpies

2x12 Execs - Assassin in one of these.
14 BG, TM, StB with SoHG - Dreadlord Here

Hydra

Total: 2234pts
6 PD
4 DD
Death on Wings!
Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

I'm gonna go against the wind here:

I'm not too sure about 2 lvl 2's in the same list as Ring of Hotek.

Personally I would turn one of your sorc's back to a caddy, and turn the other one into a BSB (you have 3 stubborn units - you'll want a BSB).

You might even be able to squeeze in a small unit of shades with those changes, something this list needs.

or remove Ring of Hotek, and give the Towermaster Crimson Death instead, and keep everything else the way it is.
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

Hey Minsk

I already dropped the Ring once I had the level 2's. I saw it as more of a hinderance.

The COB already is a BSB. Combined with the Dreadlord in the BG, the leadership is quite strong.

I like the idea of Crimson Death though....Hows this?

Lv2 Scroll Caddy
Lv2, Lifetaker, ToF
Death Hag COB BSB

2x5 DR, Mus
2x5 Harpies

13 BG, TM with Crimson Death, StB with SoHG - Dreadlord Here

Hydra

Total: 2246pts
6 PD
4 DD
Death on Wings!
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

This is looking good. The possibility of ranged magical attack to put pressure on your opponents while your unit get into position will be key.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

Thz druchii77, I'm giving consideraton to dropping a dispell scroll on the caddy for the darkstar cloak. To counter the loss of a scroll I'm tempted to drop Lifetaker and add the seal of Ghrond on the other sorceress.

I'd be losing one scroll and some RXB shots but gaining 1 PD and 1 DD. Magic is quite important to this list, so do you think the changes would be beneficial?
Death on Wings!
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

Have been tweaking and refining the list over the last few days. Decided to lose the DR's-not khainaite enough for me. How this look?

Lv2 Dstar Cloak, Dispel Scroll
Lv2, Seal of Ghrond, ToF
Death Hag COB BSB

10 Spearsmen (BG screen)
2x5 Harpies

2x12 Execs, Mus
14 BG, TM with Crimson Death, StB with SoHG - Dreadlord Here
6 Shades, AHW

Hydra

Total: 2249pts
7 PD
5 DD

All changes are in blue. I squeezed a fair bit in after dropping the DR's. But I'd appreciate some feedback on whether people think its improved or not.
Death on Wings!
Darkangel16
Black Guard

Post by Darkangel16 »

hey smiler

I find DR's to be druchii gold great for baiting opponents so your execs can get the charges the really must get off in order to effective, or putting additional pressure on enemy magic and shooting which will be a big weakness of yours, and they just give your list great mobility. I haven't used shades too much so i can really only praise dark riders.

However i think the 10 spears will do little really, a hill will negate their effectiveness, and i feel the pressure put on the enemy by dark riders is simply more effective then a line of spears. But if its an issue of theme then i guess they lose out.

I have to say i greatly prefer the lifetaker to the seal, you've got quite a few dispel dice already I find that the ability to quickly take out skirmishers and single chracters is great (today for instance my soceress neutralize my opponents fanatics which are other wise very hard to hit)
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

They do fit the theme better, but those dark riders played a very important part in your army configuration, that is reducing the pressure on your combat line. Something your shades can do a little, but for which your spears are totally useless.

To make the spears more useful you might consider swapping the darkstar cloak for the sacrificial dagger, how would that fit into your theme :D ?
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

Hey DarkAngel and Thanatoz-appreciate the input fellas, you've given much food for thought so thankyou. I'll expand alittle on the spears choice. Basically they were in as the cheapest way to make the minimum core choice selection that would screen the BG-other than dying horriably I had 0 ideas for them.

However, the pair of you make some very good points especially about the DR's, without them the army becomes too one dimensional and loses a key DE trait of manovablitly.

I'll go back to this version as it seems to be the stronger of the lists.

Lv2 Scroll Caddy
Lv2, Lifetaker, ToF
Death Hag COB BSB

2x5 DR, Mus
2x5 Harpies

13 BG, TM with Crimson Death, StB with SoHG - Dreadlord Here

Hydra

Total: 2246pts
6 PD
4 DD

I appreciate all the comments and help-so thankyou! :D

EDIT: Quick one-Do you think its woth dropping a unit of harpies to give my DR's RXB's?
Death on Wings!
Darkangel16
Black Guard

Post by Darkangel16 »

Wow that's a tough one smiler as i love both of those units. Right now i would have to say you need fast moving bodies to harass and pin your enemy while your heavy hitters advance, so i have to vote no on the RxB's which really pains me.However, the harpies will always prove their worth, and compliment your list very well.
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

I know its a tough choice to make. Another avenue I looked at though would be to drop the 2 exec units to 10 strong (run them 5x2 or 7 then 3 for maximum damage). The points freed up and the spare 4 points could give the DR's RXB's.

However, would that weaken the 2 exec units too much do you think?
Death on Wings!
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

I do think it would be better than losing some harpies. The one point of combat resolution you lose (assuming 7-5 formation) would be lost anyway after one kill, not too hard too achieve. And execs shouldn't have to worry about static combat resolution, they lose prolonged fights anyway.

You could also try one big (14) executioner unit with some command (banner of cold blood or murder comes to mind), or two smaller unit of execs (say 7 strong) and a unit of 7 witches (a little cheaper) for one more msu style khainite flanker (they are all minimum size 5, right?)
Darkangel16
Black Guard

Post by Darkangel16 »

i would advise caution in dropping down your exec units, as should they get annihilated by shooting or magic, you lose your assassin as well.

Im not a fan of big executioner blocks, but with the mobility and harassment combined with a constant 5+ ward in your list it may work, you'll just have to be especially keen in protecting their flanks with dark riders, and use your harpies to prevent them from being shot to bits. however should they get charged then your assassin will help alot.

You will probably have experiment with both builds and see which one suits you best.
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

Once again Thanatoz and DarkAngel thanks for the valuable food for tthought. I'm not keen to drop the execs down and squeezing in some witches....I think all units would then be too small to function properly and would suffer greatly from shooting.

I really do feel that the DR's need RXB but not at the expense of weakening the list. I'll trial them without and see how it fares-will be able to see then if dropping harpies or execs will be the better solution.

Thanks again for your help fellas! :D
Death on Wings!