corsair list 2k point..any feedback appreciated

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Carpet
Warrior

corsair list 2k point..any feedback appreciated

Post by Carpet »

im new to playing dark elves (seeing as i bought the book yesterday) but the corsairs really pulled my imagination.

so i came up with this list: (any feedback is appreciated)

dreadlord
cloak of hag graef
armour of darkness
heart seeker

lokhir fellheart

core:
black ark corsairs x10
full command
reaver-pair of handbows

black ark corsairs x25
full command

black ark corsairs x 24
full command

black ark corsairs x25
full command

black ark corsairs x10
full command
reaver-pair of handbows

special:
shades x5
light armour
additional hand weapons

rare:
2x hydra

thanks for reading, please comment!
Edtharion
Warrior

Post by Edtharion »

Welcome to the Druchii!

I suggest you fin the Corsair Brotherhood, on the "Druchii Discussion" section and make yourself welcome there,

as to your list, you seem to lack 3 things here;

1. Tactical flexibity, one of the main strengths of DE is our ability to dictate the game, and draw the opposition into our moves, you have shades, who can help a little, wit marchblocking and harassment, and you have the Handbow Corsairs, who are good at protecting your lines from enemy harassers, as well as providing a screen if neeeded, but one thing that concerns me with both of these is a lack if movement, and speed, Harpies and Dark Riders work great here, and can preform many functions from, harassing to hunting war machines and mages-luckily, they both fit in with the Corsair theme.

2. You also lack magic defense-this is a concern, because all of your troops are lightly armoured, and fire magic will waste your point investment in the hydras. I recommend finding some magic defense in the shape of a level 1 sorc with 2 Dispel Scrolls, and maybe the ring-this should be a minimum to protect your troops as they advance towards the front line of combat.

3. You lack any real punch. While your army excells fighting lesser armed weaker troops, you'll stuggle against the likes of knights, chaos warriors, or Black Orcs, take a look around at the Cold One Knights, or Chariot, maybe even some of the magic weapon options-Great weapons in place of additional hand weapons on your shades would work as well.

As for how to get points for this?
Well personally, I dont think you need to rely on static res with your Corsairs, cut them from 25 to 18 and deploy them 6 wide to grant the extra attacks -this gives you a spare 210 points, I would also be tempted to drop a hydra if need be, and maybe the standards from the corsair units

:)

I hope you dont think ive been too harsh on you here, its nice to see a Corsair themed list and I hope you have luck with it
Mercy is for the weak
Carpet
Warrior

Post by Carpet »

cheers for the input. ive tried to stay away from warriors as IMHO the miniatures are a bit dated now.
Let this colony know in the name of the dead we're coming
Darkangel16
Black Guard

Post by Darkangel16 »

wow thats alot of corsairs

You could definitely use some dark riders and harpies to control the movement phase and i dont think they are too out of theme with the list.

Unfortunately your dreadlord is illegal, two magic armors, i would just give him heavy armor the cloak, the pendant and then stick him in a unit of corsairs.

As for you corsair blocks i would use banners to help give them a purpose.

Give one the warbanner to hold as a center unit, with your dreadlord inside for leadership.

Another with banner of murder for hopefully killing heavy targets, lokhir in here as he can re roll to wound.

And then a frenzied unit for taking out light troops.

If you specialize the units hopefully they have more chance of hurting the enemy units, along with more dark riders and harpies.

Also light armor on the shades really isnt worth it =)
Carpet
Warrior

Post by Carpet »

ok ive adjusted the list with everything in account and it is now:

Dreadlord
heavy armour
heart seeker
cloak of hag graef

sorceress
2xdispel scroll

Lokhir fellheart

black ark corsairs x10
no standard
reaver-pair of handbows

black ark corsairs x18
full command
sea serpant banner

black ark corsairs x 17
full command
war banner
with the dreadlord

black ark corsairs x17
full command
banner of murder
with lokhir

black ark corsairs x10
no standard
reaver-pair of handbows
total

harpies x6

shades x5
great weapons

cold one knights x5
full command

hydra

would this be a bit more durable? im 18 points over the 2k limit, does that matter for tournament play?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Your list has too many corsairs (heartbreaing to admit it)! You'll stand no chance in a tournament.
You need to understand one fact: corsairs are Dark Elves.
What I mean is that, in order to make a successful corsair list, you need a successful DE list with just enough corsairs to make it fluffy.
If you take too many corsairs, the list will become inefficient, and it might even become boring.

If you intend to build a list with a corsairish fluff, but you want to make it efficient to a tournament level, you'll have to make many compromises.
As you added already some COK and a hydra, it seems that you're ready for that.
carpet wrote:Dreadlord=> What is his role? He could better be a BSB.
sorceress scroll caddy
Lokhir Fellheart=> Very fluffy but considered too expansive for tournaments.

black ark corsairs x18 - full command - sea serpent banner
black ark corsairs x17 - full command - war banner - with the dreadlord
black ark corsairs x17 - full command - banner of murder - with Lokhir
=> three solid settings for corsairs.
You need to ask yourself: with these 3 units and Lokhir, what do I need to make the list win games?

black ark corsairs x10 - no standard - reaver-pair of handbows
black ark corsairs x10 - no standard - reaver-pair of handbows
=> I see no use for them. Why don't you take DR instead? Or RXBmen? Both are very corsairish and much more useful to complement your list.

harpies x6
shades x5 - great weapons
=> This totals only 5 shooters. Negligeable.

cold one knights x5 - full command=> With no command at all, they are nearly as efficient but become more expandable.

hydra

Also, please use capital letters at start of sentences, names and for "OK" and "I". It shows respect for your readers.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Carpet
Warrior

Post by Carpet »

Thanks for the help there i may tweak things about a little, so drop fellheart?
Darkangel16
Black Guard

Post by Darkangel16 »

I love the guy, I really do, but for what he does he's just too expensive. A BSB master with sword of might or soulrender and the pendant of khaleth would be so much more effective.

Building off of what Calisson said, what you lack with all your corsairs are heavy hitters, by dropping lokhir you could throw in some more CoK or small units of executioners.
Carpet
Warrior

Post by Carpet »

I can see where youre coming from for sure (You can tell ive been a Dwarf player for a long time!) in my mind at least Lokhir would be worth his weight in gold against horde armies, but i dont think he would be as valuable further along the line against ,say, Chaos. And as for the Dreadlord becoming a BSB im not sure how another standard bearer could benefit the list, and if he has a magic standard then he can have no other magic items. Maybe just 'downgrade' him to a master?
Last edited by Carpet on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

First thing to do is to decide what you want.

A) Do you want to have a very fluffy list,
that you will bring in a tourney for the pleasure of playing a raiding party the best you can,
and make it somehow competitive and be happy if you finish in the second third (taking into account that you're new to DE)?

B) Do you want to have a very competitive list,
with which you aim to end in the first quarter of a tourney,
and with minimal corsair fluff/style so it must include at least one corsair unit?

Lokhir and 3 large corsair units are perfectly acceptable for A), but your list needs a little bit more fine tuning and a some practice. For fluffy ideas, you've spotted the "Brotherhood" thread already.
Determine which units you want and which you want to avoid for fluffy reasons, and ask for help to complement your army in a competitive way.
This is what has been done in the thread collected on top of p.3 of the "Brotherhood".

For B), you should consider only two units of corsairs, one large (17-20) with FC and SSS and one small (10) with RHB and muso - and no Lokhir. In that case, you should start a completely new list, after having a look to the Army List forum (and to the D.R.A.I.C.H., top of tactics forum).
Determine which is your fighting style, knowing that DE are best in fast maneuvre and good in everthing else save prolonged fights.
Then it will be up to your painting and modelling skills to make it fluffy. See in the "Brotherhood" thread some ideas to make a COB or Execs more corsair-looking (I'm not suggesting that COB or Execs are must-haves, but that you can even consider them).
After that, you'll need a lot of practice against competitive players of all armies (especially VC and DoC, but also Empire, Lizzies, WE...) in order to learn how to use your list to its potential.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Carpet
Warrior

Post by Carpet »

Seeing as i used to be a Dwarf player im very used to high armour saves and not moving at all!