Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 7:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Question about Dark Elf Army List 
Trainee Warrior

Hello all, I was wondering...
Is it possible to have a competetive army WITHOUT using harpies or dark riders?
I have over 5k points in Dark Elves, but I own neither of the said units, and im short on cash at the moment. So, what step would I take? I have over 100 warriors, 80+ corsairs, 2 hydra's, 25 COK, 6 RBT's, and a ton of hero's and lords...So what do you think would be a viable list? Or is having Dark Riders and harpies a staple for an effective list?

Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:51 am
Trainee Warrior

You don't have to take them, but I do think they are a must in a dark elf army
They are, especially harpies , very cheap and very, very useful.
These to units make that dark elves can outmanouvre almost anything.
For harpies, you can use witch elves if you don't play in a tournament.
There are many ways you can buy dark riders or harpies without spending a fortune on blisters.... and I find 10 dark riders and 10 harpies enough for 2 k, in a balanced army.
If you have them, you can build almost any list you want with that amount of models...

Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:08 am
Cold One Knight

There is probably a new DR plastic box coming out in january- so just wait till then.

Or convert glade riders.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:18 pm
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

you don't really need them... but the fact is, that it would make for a very different army.

First you'd have to field more shooting than most. I'd say 3-4 units of crossbowmen and 4 bolt throwers, to take care of enemy fast units, or they'll make you feel the pain of being slower.

pegasus master could serve instead of a unit of harpies, but it's a little expensive.

and make sure the rest of your army hits hard. CoKs are a good choice ;) with heroes.

That way you have shooting to deal with you opponent's fast elements, and hard hitting to deal with his combat units. And in case he doesn't have the fast part, you're still unloading 80 crossbow bolts per turn coupled with 24 bolts. Not too shabby.

Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16

Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:49 pm
Warrior

having a dark elf army without harpies or dark riders as dark elves live off of speed

Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:05 pm
Hydra Lord

If you're going totally without due to finances, I'd go with a shooting/magic gun line and keep a hydra and probably a chariot or two around for support when they do reach your battle line.

ON that note, I tried to order harpies from my local retailer and he told me that when he called GW to get them they have been moved to mail order only... that makes no sense to me unless they are:

releasing new harpies or reboxing the harpies in 5s .. either way, I'd expect to see something harpy related in January.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:01 pm
Cold One Knight

vutall wrote:
Hello all, I was wondering...
Is it possible to have a competetive army WITHOUT using harpies or dark riders?

Check put the recent winner of Baltimore GT - he played without any Dark Riders: A unit that often is thought of as a DE cookie cutter unit.

Look here: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=58822

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]