First Army List, Going for Mobility

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Starscream
Corsair

First Army List, Going for Mobility

Post by Starscream »

Hey all, just to begin with, I would appreciate all and any words of wisdom you have, critcism will be considered advice so say what you will.

I've recently got back to Warhammer after a long absence, college and work ate into my time so was unable to continue spending time on models :cry:

Fortunately (!!) I had an operation last year and was out of work for about three months, to pass the time I got a few White Dwarfs and The last edition Army book plus a few miniatures, since then I've collected a sizeable force and the new army book, so now heres an army list to reflect that.

LORDS
Dreadlord
Sword of Ruin, Lifetaker, H. armour, shield, sea dragon cloak, Cold One
235pts

Sorceress Level 2
Dispell Scroll, Sacrificial Dagger
185pts

Sorceress Level 1
Dispell Scroll, Darkstar Cloak
150pts

CORE
25 Warriors
Spears, shields, L. armour War Banner, full command
215pts

12 Repeater Crossbows
Swords, crossbows, L armour, full command
140pts

12 Repeater Crossbows
Sword, crossbows, L armour Full command
140pts

20 Corsairs
Two hand weapons, L armour, sea dragon cloak full command
225pts

8 Dark Riders
Spears, crossbows, L armour, shields, full command
219pts

5 Dark Riders
Spears, crossbows, L armour, full command
145pts

Assassin (in corsair unit)
Additional hand weapon, touch of death, rune of Khaine
151pts

Assassin (In Crossbow unit(nasty surprise))
Additional hand weapon, Cloak of twilight, manbane
195pts

SPECIAL
10 Cold One Knights
Swords, lances, H armour, shields, full command
310pts

Cold One Chariot
100pts

RARE
Reaper Bolt Thrower
100pts

TOTAL 2510pts

Again comments appreciated, what would you change, exclude/include.

The list is based on the models that I have hence the CORE heavy choices, my idea would be to outmaneuvre any enemy units. Also is the assassin in the crossbowmen a bit too nasty/beardy???
Dannyfave
Shade

Post by Dannyfave »

First off i would remove one of the magic weapons from your general for you are only able to take one magic weapon. I also think that you could do with taking the champions and banners out of the following units.......
repeater crossbowmen and dark riders (altough i can see the extra atack from the dark riers champ coming in handy). you can also save 27 points by taking outa cold one knight and just putting your dreadlord in there to make the 10. also ( I know that you have limmited model selection) you might want to invest in some black guard. BG are an amazing tarpit for your enemies elite so as you can manuever your troopsinto position for the final kill.

....and one final note on your lord... give him the pendant for there are far too many no armor save weapons out there so you should give him that bit of protection
Starscream
Corsair

Post by Starscream »

Thanks for the info on the Dreadlord did not realise that!!!! :oops:

Was going to go for Executioners next but thats a fair point about the Black Guard, thought the command would be handy to keep the crossbows in a fight/rally if it came to hand-to-hand, it would give me extra points though and I have noticed a lot of lists that don't have full commands for their Dark Riders was curious about that.
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

i would remove darkstar cloak for another dispel scroll, a level 1 is not gonna need another power dice, since you have PoD

2 units of 5 cold one knights work better than a big unit of 10
however it looks really cool with alot of cold one knights in one big unit.
fluff wise, but game wise is not ideal :)
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Nick7356
Warrior

Post by Nick7356 »

Kheel wrote:
2 units of 5 cold one knights work better than a big unit of 10
however it looks really cool with alot of cold one knights in one big unit.
fluff wise, but game wise is not ideal :)

I agree with 2 units of 5. It would look cool seing 1 big unit of 10 including the new models r very nice, but wihile the front line is fighting u have 135pts doing nothing.
----------W/L/D
Dwarfs 72/24/29
Skaven(OLD) 19/7/4
Skaven(NEW) 3/0/3
Dark Elves 24/4/4
Lizardmen 3/0/0
Starscream
Corsair

Post by Starscream »

The extra unit on the board makes sense alright, wasn't sure whether to have 10 or just 8 figured the extra models would give the unit some longevity.

Also thats a good point about the sorceress, will deff change that

thanks again.
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

The lvl 1 sorceress with a scroll and a DS cloak is better off at lvl 2, this way you'll have a better magic fase. To get those points, take ou the commands on the RXB-men, on the RXB-men are FC's pretty useless. As you probably have modelled the FC's on the RXB-men, you better just take of the standard and the champ away, this will save you 50pts, of wich you give the lvl 1 sorceress the extra lvl.
Then for the dreadlord, well, it has been said but as he is illegal I reccomend taking lifetaker away and give him the pendatn of khaleath, the best magic item a druchii can get.

Also, (just an idea) you could also consider taking the 2 units of Dark Riders to 5 each with only a musician. Then drpping the CoK to 5 and for those points taking a unit of Black Guard, they're awesome. If you know you'll be up against a heavy missile army then do the following: give the lord instead of the pendant, a Ring of Darkness and put him in the Black Guard (dropping the Cold One of course). With only a ha;f BS, they'll shoot much less on your precious models 8) .
Well, this last part is just a suggestion, not really neccesarry but just something I'd do ;) .

Hope this helps,
Farodin
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Connz
Warrior

Post by Connz »

If your going for mobility a drak steed would better suit the dreadlord. Sorceresses are fine.
The rxb dont need full command, at most they only need a musician. Drop the command off them.
The large unit of 8 is going to lack mobilty.With shields they lose the fast cavalry rule.Plus imo the units is too large 6 or 5 would be a better size. Command again isnt neded for them.By the looks of things you intend to hit the enemy round the head with them, in which case you would do better with CoK.
The CoK you already have are ina to big unit. split them into 2 groups of 5.
Starscream
Corsair

Post by Starscream »

CoNnZ wrote:By the looks of things you intend to hit the enemy round the head with them, in which case you would do better with CoK.

Thanks that brought a smile!!! :lol:

The idea with them was to advance with the CoK and CoC and support them as they had rxb and shields for close combat.
Would it be advisable to maybe drop the Corsairs for BG no-ones commented on them so I assume they're ok??
Connz
Warrior

Post by Connz »

Starscream wrote:Would it be advisable to maybe drop the Corsairs for BG no-ones commented on them so I assume they're ok?

Its really your choice both are pretty good.Depends what your after. A largish group of combat troops(corsairs) or a smaller group of elite troops(BG).Your army already hits pretty hard with all the CoK so the corsairs maybe better as they add more numbers and combat resolution.